Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Submission suggestions

Weasyl
    Fluxxx

Submission suggestions

Just a couple feature requests, both of which i'm surprised we don't have:

Sorting artwork from artists we follow. All the galleries i'm on offer at the very least a choice of newest first or oldest first. The latter helps me when i'm getting caught up as i prefer to start with the oldest.

Better file names when saving. Most galleries i visit use some form of fileno.submitter.title whereas here i'm getting some random looking letter number combination.
    Woggle
    Shapeshifter, roleplayer, grey muzzle
    Creator and maintainer of the Chakat Registry

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    if you're getting 'some random looking number combination', you're not saving the submission file at all. right click on the image and use 'save link as' to download submissions, as that will download the full submission file with a nice filename. you can also use the 'download' link for the same purpose.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Woggle is right though D:

I just saved a file right off the site, and it got the name:
    "e85304bcb82075b8182222e53483cb09f8deb2ddfa875de22 625630ad5c5c28f"

Where as if I go to the Download/full version it will get the name:
    "swanda-nope-2525844"

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    I think I might be able to help clear up the confusion here. You're both right.

Blah blah random letters and numbers image is a special file Weasyl uses to display huge submission image files. Internally, we call it a 'cover' file. It's an image that's automatically been reduced so that the largest dimension on one side is 1280 pixels. When Weykent, above, said 'You're not getting the file', what he meant is that doing a 'save image as' is literally not giving you the original submission file!

To put it another way, 'You're not getting the file you think you are'.

When you save the file linked to and get a 'pretty filename', THAT is the full sized original submission file.

Another way to look at this is, if you're getting an awful filename, the reason is that you're saving the cover display image to your device, and that's not the file you wanted in the first place.

Hopefully this might help explain the difference?

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Oh I understand the difference, but it's still an issue. Especially when we are talking pictures that look just fine in the "cover image" dimension wise. People won't go to the full/download version, if the picture already looks fine as is. They'll save it right of the site, and that gets the random name, rather than something you can track the artist down with later.

Weasyl
    Fluxxx
    More importantly is that i simply right click and save image, that's pretty much how you expect it to work. For most sites that will get you the full sized even if there's a cover image, the only exception i can think of is Hentai Foundry, and considering that the filename is thumb.jpg if its just the cover image, its at least rather obvious what's going on. At least i know how to get the right image now, long as i can remember, which knowing me won't be long.

Now about that other feature...
    Woggle
    Shapeshifter, roleplayer, grey muzzle
    Creator and maintainer of the Chakat Registry