123mine123

123mine123's Learning Area

Last edited by 123mine123; 04-03-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added spoilers

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Oh meow, you have some cool creatures !

Weasyl
    N/A
    These are very creative! Love when people post a snippet of their older work, it really shows your improvement. Gonna offer a bit of advice if that's alright? For your perspective sketches, using a straight edge would really help for lining up windows and such (though you've done a terrific job on them!). As for gestures, I really recommend checking out vilppu's drawing manual - pure genius when it comes to doing them. The movement is what you want from a gesture, it's your base and arguably the most important part. Instead of just lining out how the person should look, try building with shapes and forms.

Ah, and there's spoilers on here! spoiler

spoiler2

I'm currently on mobile so I'm sorry I can't offer a more detailed explanation, but I look forward to seeing more from you! ;3

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Nice! I love the progression!

My advice would be to not give up! Even if you don't feel like you are getting better, try something new! Maybe a new medium, different technique, etc. I personally like to do trades/fan art when I feel like I hit a wall. Even trying to draw inspiration is nice too, I love to look at the Lackadaisy comic too for that.

Keep up the good work!

Weasyl
    123mine123

Weasyl
    Hewge
    What do you mean straight edge is for traditional stuff?!
    Basic methods and foundations are useful in pretty much all forms of art - regardless of the medium used to create it.
    (fun fact: hold shift then click on the canvas to create a straight line in SAI)
    You ever use action lines? They're cool and help to simplify the direction of flow and movement in a draw! Everyone loves action lines...

So you say you want to do the toons. That's swell! I love cartoons, you love cartoons, everyone loves cartoons!

What are cartoons, though? What are they made of?! Toons are elastic, distorted, and exaggerated balls of goodness!
    "But Hewge; what do you mean? What are they being exaggerated from?!"
    Excellent question, Hewge! Toons are all about pushing what we learn from life and pushing it to the limits!
    Which is why pretty much every jivin' cartoonist out there has an extensive understanding of things like anatomy, proportions, gestures, motion, realism --- everything! You need all the ingredients to make the cake, yo.

Whether wanting to be professional or a hobbyist is irrelevant - if one wants to make the neat draws, you gots to do the studies!

Above all though; practice! Yaya - it's true. All it takes is loads of drawing! Draw, draw, draw! Draw whatever you please, whenever you please. Don't just worry about what you *should* be drawing, you should always and forever draw what you want to draw! You study to help you understand what you want to learn to draw, and you draw to learn how to draw! ...or something

Now that I'm not sure what I'm talking about anymore, I'm going to give my opinion on your swell arts:

I feels you're on the right track. All you need is to just keep doing what you're doing, and eternally be open to the opinions of others - think of another's knowledge as something you can leech the power out of! Mmmh. Delicious!

Oh yeah - and just keep on draw, draw, drawing!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I just typed this out while I was thinking to myself and sketching stuffs, so hopefully my passerby thoughts are useful to you.
    I'm also going to quickly scrounge up old things I used that helped me out when I was first learning to draw;

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra - Nice and informative Youtubes person!

http://anatomicalart.tumblr.com/ - Lots of neat references!

www.google.com - My personal favorite!

Weasyl
    123mine123

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Creativity in general is something that's developed. The more you draw, the more you will know what to draw!

You could try just doing generic creative exercises - like drawing shapes, doodling the first things that come to mind, etc.
    Personally, if I'm having issues thinking, I get some fresh air, and play Osu while doodling things on the side.
    It wakes the brain up a bit for me, but everyone finds their own ways of warming up and figuring out what to draw xP

Weasyl
    123mine123

Weasyl
    123mine123