Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Zelda games. I'm ashamed to say I didn't play a single one until I was 22 (Link the The Past baybee).

And Donky Kong Games. I never once enjoyed them but my friends ranted and raved about them.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Speaking of video games, Sonic. I never played them as a kid, but my younger brothers were obsessed with the Sonic games and TV series. So Sonic is pretty much the opposite of nostalgic for me, because I grew up associating it with the stink of younger siblings. :U

The hilariously inept fanart I've seen of it as an adult hasn't done much to dissuade me from regarding it with a vague sort of annoyance.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Battlechili1
    Crash Bandicoot- I played one of these games as a kid, beat it, and hated it. I still hate it, looking back. (okay, there might be a little nostalgia in there. But honest, I really dislike it despite playing it as a child.
    Spyro- Same as Crash.
    Gundam- I didn't really watch anything that aired on Toonami back in the day except for Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, Hamtaro, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Yugioh- Loved it as a child, but now I hate it. The show, that is. Too much trap card cancelling and the like. I still like the card game tho.
    Sonic- Never played it as a child, and when I finally got around to it I hated that I kept running right into enemies, the whole concept of rings being life, etc. Admittedly I did kinda like Shadow the Hedgehog and LOVED what I played of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle though.
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    DK64 though. @w@
    I miss this game so much. And I miss Rare...
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfNightV4X1 View Post
    Speaking of memes has anyone seen the parody of troy dancing to the pokemon theme song? That was perfectly in sync lol xD
    Last edited by Battlechili1; 10-19-2014 at 01:26 AM.
    The future is in the past! Onwards Aoshima!

Quote Originally Posted by batbot View Post
    Hah, that stuff is a lot of what I'm *not* nostalgic for, even as a teen, I'd have friends who I consider to have good taste in music go "god, remember when we all liked Britney Spears and NSync?!" and I'm always thinking "...no?" I remember sitting at recess in elementary school listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the umpteenth time while watching several groups practice dance routines to boyband music for our talent show. I just never had that "phase" because my parents and older brother had distinctly rock tastes (not to say I didn't love dubious acts, though!)

The Simpsons when I was veeeerry young, I watched it with my family, but there was a gross-out gag that REALLY FREAKED ME OUT once (Bart threw up a heart) so I was too scared to ever watch it again...until I was a teenager and saw reruns with my friends and was into it. But I missed out on a lot of the "good seasons" while they were airing, so I only have spotty out-of-syndication rerun knowledge.
    Likewise, I was too young for Beavis and Butthead but my brother was in the demographic, so sometimes he'd watch it, and I happened to see a kind-of gory episode, and it freaked me out too much to ever be curious about watching it, even as I got older, my mindset has been pretty much "that show is gross". I also started watching South Park much later than everyone I knew because of the same reason.
    (the weirder fact is I watched a lot of Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons, with all those cats getting electrocuted and ducks getting their bills blown off and was totally down with it. There was only one Road Runner cartoon that had a Wile E. squash gag that freaked me out to the point where I'd get nervous at any episode for being "THE episode", but all the other times he falls off cliffs and gets hit by trains? Hee-larious.)
    I didn't like most 90's pop, either, and I didn't really warm to most of today's pop songs, either (with the exception of Disney songs, when it comes to both, but I generally prefer the film version over the pop cover). Rock's always been my favorite, as well. Although I've been branching out into other genres, ones I had previously overlooked, or didn't even know existed, and I've been finding good stuff.

I think what makes Tom and Jerry easier to digest in terms of violence is that it never gets realistic or gory, so despite being more violent than some media, it's more palatable.

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    All of the things. Well, what I mean to say is that I got my first videogame in 5th grade, and even then I didn't have the opportunity to really get into gaming until highschool... I grew up with PBS, books, and those Skydancer spinning doll toys that got recalled at some point. And Sailor Moon.

Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    Definitely Pokemon for me. I watched the show but never really got into the card game or gameboy games as much as everyone else did. I think part of it was that my family just simply couldn't afford that kinda stuff.

Now that I'm grown up everyone my age is extremely nostalgic about it and I don't understand half of what they're talking about. Sometimes I try to join in the conversation with my limited knowledge but it's all Gen-1 stuff I learned from the show. I just feel extremely out of the loop with Pokemon stuff, and never had much of a chance to really "catch it" like everyone else did.

Another thing would be the the Youtube famous from the late 90's through the mid-2000's. You know, the kid that made the "hello my future girlfriend" website, Tay Zonday, Numa-Numa kid, Tron guy. Outside of school I didn't have a computer to my own until about 2007, so I just barely missed those e-celebrities from that awkward transition period from turn-of-the-century to the end of the 2000's/start of the 2010's.

And adding on to that, retro PC gaming. I'm obsessed with it, but it's not nostalgia for me, it's more of a historical interest. I just never had the opportunity to experience it back in the day. My first experience with DooM was on a hand-me-down SNES, and I didn't touch Duke Nukem 3D until about two years ago. And now that I have a computer and the internet, I've been trying to find all these old DOS games for the sake of experiencing the bygone era. O: It is neat experiencing these things for the first time though, it's like going back in time for a moment.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggy View Post
    And, uh. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which I am given to understand is some kind of 'grew up in the 90s' sin to have not watched and absorbed all the lyrics to the theme song. I can't do the Carlton dance either.
    Pretty much all of this
    (late post w/e)
    I've never seen it and never really had the desire to.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Pretty much the only reason you need to watch Fresh Prince:

Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Only thing that comes to mind is Tomb Raider

I had a go at playing a few off them but never really liked it.
    Icon by Sixel

Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    Tomb Raider was cool back in the day, but it's pretty average now a days. As far as gameplay it's all pretty conventional action/adventure platforming. That said, back in the mid-90's those conventions hardly existed for 3D games, so it was kinda mind-blowing.

I'd say the majority of modern fans of the series are riding nostalgia on that one, since not much has changed outside of graphics and a tiny gimmick or two.