Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Registration, financial aid, and all that stuff you deal with at the beginning of the year, was it easy to deal with, did you have a lot of run around and getting signatures? Is there something you would have liked to change?
    This is my most important question, so if you were ever frustrated with the orientation, registration process I want to know.
    Around here, in your last year of high school they teach you how to register for college, how and where to get financial aid and everything. Basically, all you have to do is fill a form on the region-you're-interested-in's website (For Montreal and its surroundings, it's site: https://www.sram.qc.ca/home. See the shiny "I'm not Canadian, I don't live in Canada but I wanna study in Quebec" button? *hint hint*). When the time comes, they'll send you an email telling you the dates for the entrance exams (French and English exams. They place you in different-level classes depending on your result, generally from level 1 (low) to 4 (bilingual, not available in many colleges)). Before that, they give you a tour of the college, introduce you to everybody you might want to talk to (financial aid, psychologist, nurse, special aids, etc). Then you can go pay dossier-opening fee (generally around 50$) at the registry. At that time, you can also talk to the financial aid responsible who'll fill the grants/loans form with you and post it himself (to make sure it everything is done right and it's sent to the right place). Finally, a week before school starts (the exams and everything else is in summer btw), they send you an email linking you to many useful sites and the college's network site where you can go print your schedule and useful phone numbers. Also, the first week of school (in most classes; math teachers love to throw work right away) is describing what the class is about, giving a list of materials needed, the teacher's phone number incase you need help with something, presentations so that you can know your teacher and stuff, etc. Then in the 2nd week, there's the initiations to remove the shyness from first years and make 'em feel welcome.

To those recently graduated. Was it an easy or difficult process? Why?
    Graduating? There's no process at all, unless you decide to take part in the end-of-the-year talent show. If you don't, you just finish school normally, and a few weeks later you receive your diploma by the mail. Plus if you win a prize, they'll phone you and tell you to come to the prize-giving day.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    @ Fay V

I wasn't really forced with FAFSA, and I don't quite remember the process too well (two years ago since I had to worry about it), but because it was a private university, we had to take out a loan. I remember it was a small loan, but you couldn't really go forward with your payments to college without having to take a loan out from the bank--and we had enough in the college fund to pay for it so I don't know why they wouldn't take it all from our pockets and there. Loans aren't fun to pay off, so we tried going with the smallest we could.

My current college we didn't have to pay a cent for any financial aid. It's an average of 2000 a semester, which would be about $4k a year. Not bad considering the other university was about $26k, and that was reduced from $38k with scholarship! (went from a private university to a City University of NY, which is much cheaper. And you know NY is in the USA)

Weasyl
    Tiger
    My issue is that because of the courses I have taken, very few universities accept them. Which is frustrating the even with my degree (I get it in May). I only have three colleges to choose from now. My dream college would be University Of Michigan Ann Arbor, because they are the only university in Michigan that offer a Bachelor's in Illustration. Although it is very expensive to go there- along with one of the three universities I have to choose from, and it's very heavily religious based. I have gone there before and it is a great building with wonderful staff, I'm just not as religion-focused as some other college students may be. To be clear- I'm not saying it is an inferior college, it has a fantastic reputation and is very well taken care of, I enjoyed being there for the day I went. I just personally am not highly religious, so I feel the other two colleges fit more of what I'm looking for.

Anyways. I have very few options when it comes to transferring, I need a college that has a good art program and takes as many of my credits as possible, which looks to be Eastern Michigan University. My current school also has a good transferring program to Eastern, which would be nice. And am planning to move out this summer to be closer to it, which also helps. And it's not too expensive, as far as universities go. Right now, I don't know what will happen outside of the college I go to now.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Thank you everyone for participating. It has been extremely helpful.

Before I stop this, is there anything, anything at all you would love to see as part of your university or student services? something that you feel would make things easier, or better?

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Thank you everyone for participating. It has been extremely helpful.

Before I stop this, is there anything, anything at all you would love to see as part of your university or student services? something that you feel would make things easier, or better?
    Mascots!

I know this is silly, but a mascot would make everything better xD

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Mascots!

I know this is silly, but a mascot would make everything better xD
    My school's mascot is an Ocelot. HOW COOL IS THAT [not really].

One of my favorite things about my school is that in there's a place in the lower level of the food court/tech center that's a hangout place. Pools tables, video games, couches, tables and chairs, free popcorn (which is amazing) and some offices.

Which may or may not answer your question, Fay, but it is a feature I'd like to see in the future schools I go to.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I return with some more focused questions. This is for anyone that answered, or is a college student or recent graduate.

1. How was the student health services at your school? What were some things they did well? Some things they did poorly? what are some of the things you would have liked to see? Was it easy to get the help you needed or was there a lot of paperwork and legwork?

2. How do you feel about the student services provided by the school? Were there plenty of activities available that interested you? Did the school have things to meet your needs? Do you feel the school was properly supporting you and others? what were some programs you liked? Disliked? What would you like to see more of?

3. Residence life and food service. What were some strengths of these programs? weaknesses? What would you like to see more of in dorm life? with food available on campus? Anything you want to add to this system or think would improve it?

4. Any other comments you wish to provide about registration, financial aid, student services, student health, residence life, or other programs at your college or university.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    I return with some more focused questions. This is for anyone that answered, or is a college student or recent graduate.

1. How was the student health services at your school? What were some things they did well? Some things they did poorly? what are some of the things you would have liked to see? Was it easy to get the help you needed or was there a lot of paperwork and legwork?

2. How do you feel about the student services provided by the school? Were there plenty of activities available that interested you? Did the school have things to meet your needs? Do you feel the school was properly supporting you and others? what were some programs you liked? Disliked? What would you like to see more of?

3. Residence life and food service. What were some strengths of these programs? weaknesses? What would you like to see more of in dorm life? with food available on campus? Anything you want to add to this system or think would improve it?

4. Any other comments you wish to provide about registration, financial aid, student services, student health, residence life, or other programs at your college or university.
    1. I don't know right now, I've yet to need any sort of health service.
    2. It's so-so. Other than the initial club fair thing, I've not really had any interest in school-wide events. There's a few lectures and such that I've attended, but that's more out of my honors obligation than anything else. Unfortunately, most of these things are major focused, and only occasionally of interest to me. Either that, or they're far to general, like job fairs or club fairs.
    3. This is probably where my college is strongest. The honors hall is great, both in the living arrangements and the programs run by the RA. The administration also seems rather attentive to student desires, as, since the beginning of the semester, we've already gotten an ice machine installed, and are working on getting a take put box. (A box that allows us to take food outside the cafeteria. Without sneaking it, anyway.) The food is...well, mediocre all around, but it's an all you can eat deal with decent variety, so I really can't complain.
    4. The IT service here is absolutely terrible. The internet is always on the fritz, and while it seems to be constantly getting fixed, they also can't seem to stop it from messing up again. Maybe this is normal for networks like this, but the instability is a pain in the ass when you're trying to get something done, especially things like research.

Weasyl
    stigmata
    I didn't know what I was doing, was pushed by my mom to graduate as soon as possible, and now am in some serious debt. I was educated thoroughly on the matter about three years into school.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmata View Post
    I didn't know what I was doing, was pushed by my mom to graduate as soon as possible, and now am in some serious debt. I was educated thoroughly on the matter about three years into school.
    Anything in particular that may have helped make the university system better for you?