Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Devine intervention

Weasyl
    Hewge
    There ain't no puppet-masters, man. Just the magical force that lay within us all!
    If some people feel they need to put a name to this inner fire, then whatever floats their boat... maaaan

The universe sends out positive flows to all, man - and all we need to do in return is to be thankful and send that energy right back on out, yo.

Far ooooouut

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Wat.

Stahp.

You're performing the creationist fallacy of large numbers.

Yes, it was statistically unlikely for a person to meet and form relationships with their particular circle of friends, but by the same measure it was also statistically likely that relationships would and continue to form. The specific people are each incredibly unlikely, but the outcome of relationships forming over a lifetime is almost an inevitability. The same doesn't hold for life or death situations, the outcome is not written in stone. When you're presented time and again with situations that carry a high fatality rate and emerge unscathed you find yourself drifting further and further from the median to the point that yes you are lucky to be alive. The chances of you dying increase exponentially as you keep racking up the various fatality percentages of every life or death scenario.

I was merely pointing out that if you're going to consider a statistical improbability of survival as something akin to divine intervention, you have to consider equal or even greater improbabilities in your life. Unless you're willing to cut it off and say, "No. Miracles only apply to survival," versus it simply referring to something perceivably "impossible."

Which kinda lays waste to any practical counter argument. That's just my angle. I'm not gonna go around defining miracles for anyone.

Weasyl
    Manna
    law of averages

anything that can happen eventually will

idk it's so unlikely that you'll win the lottery but some people do every year

Rarely you'll hear that some homeless person bought a ticket and won and it helped them get on track but for the most part the people winning the lottery don't "deserve" it from a divine standpoint

tbh tho like if you believe you're being watched over by god or w/e that's your prerogative and if you enjoy thinking that then more power to you

I think most people on this planet earth have some sort of spiritualism in their psyche, maybe not organized religion but a belief in something irrational, to a higher or lower degree

I myself believe in Luck as a thing that exists and it's helped me cope with my violently fluctuating fortune

idk that's just how I think and there ain't no shame in it really because I only apply it to myself. Just like there's no shame in you believing in miracles if it's something you'd rather believe

Weasyl
    Harbinger
    Does a sick 360 noscope wallbang headshot with an Intervention in COD count as divine?
    "Some people think im bonkers, but i just think im free..."

No that counts as 420 BLAZE IT SMOKE WEED GET PUSSY HOLLA HOLLA GET DOLLA LOL GET GUD SCRUB.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Ggwpnore
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Harbinger
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    No that counts as 420 BLAZE IT SMOKE WEED GET PUSSY HOLLA HOLLA GET DOLLA LOL GET GUD SCRUB.
    If u can get the kills i can invite you to the Faze clan but u have to b really gud.
    Also sub 4 sub.
    "Some people think im bonkers, but i just think im free..."

Weasyl
    N/A
    I love seeing everyones viewpoint on this! :3 Obviously a lot plays on the part of the persons own decisions and how you can go against certain odds, it's just very rarely something will happen that'll make me think of how lucky that fluke was (say a phone call making you late - an event that's out of your control), though maybe that's all it is instead of something divine.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I am somewhat lucky.

I should be dead at least 5 times over, mostly from electic shocks lol.

Whenever I something dies on me and I go look for replacement I always find the best deal. Later on there's no such deals to be found hahahah.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    I am somewhat lucky.

I should be dead at least 5 times over, mostly from electic shocks lol.
    Electric shocks aren't as dangerous as most people think. Particularly in America where power outlets have a lower voltage than Australia or England (or so I'm led to believe, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm in Australia, and I've copped a few zaps from less than optimal electrical "adjustments" I've tried to make myself. Power points here include an earth plug for added safety that most appliances make use of.

I'm still not recommending anyone stick their dick in one though...
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.