Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Devine intervention

Weasyl
    N/A

Divine intervention

Do you believe in it?

Recently I've been rethinking of all the times I could have messed up so bad, yet was unknowingly saved by flukes. A year to even as far back as a decade, where a simple decision could have greatly veered the path I'm on. The thing is though, I say "saved", but really maybe some of those instances could have lead to a brighter future? Though I guess I'll never know now. xD To having almost purchased a puppy under my parents nose, almost getting hit by a bolt of lightning, to the time some physical fights could have escalated a lot more. Luck, common sense or Devine intervention?

I always thought of myself as atheist, but I'm starting to second guess that now. Maybe agnostic fits better?

Keep it civil! I'm very curious to see what other people think or have experienced and would prefer not to stray too far off topic.
    Last edited by Moogle; 10-06-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Probability of something not going as wrong as it could have on its own >>>>>>>>> probability of a being sufficiently complex to create a universe not only existing but personally meddling in the affairs of one out of 7 billion people, most of which could use more help than you.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 10-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    You're alive, just like billions of other people. It's not that much of a stretch. Nothing divine has to have any part of it, nor is it likely to have.

Things could have gone better, could have gone worse, it doesn't really matter.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

When I was a kid I nearly choked to death on a piece of hard candy. My mom had to do an amateur heimlich maneuver as my face was turning blue.

I've been in two motorcycle accidents, one in the middle of the night when I was clipped by a guy driving a stolen Cadillac at 130mph. I didn't so much as break a bone.

Another time I rode 15 miles on a sport bike in heavy snow and didn't crash. When I got home all my armor was under about an inch of caked on ice. I didn't lay her down once.

The second time I went drinking I got alcohol poisoning and should have been hospitalized.

I was in the car in a parking lot with my friend, and we were discussing what we wanted for dinner. Another car pulled into the spot in front of us, and the two occupants were having a… domestic dispute. The guy noticed us watching, pulled out a revolver, and pointed it across the dashboard at us. I ducked down as best I could to get as much of the V8 of my friend's Explorer between me and the guy as possible, but no shots were fired as my friend got us the hell out of there.

I've almost died or been in life-threatening situations so many times I've lost count, this is just what I can recall right now. On all accounts I should be dead. I don't think it's divine intervention, but geez, I must be rolling loaded.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Manna
    http://youtu.be/Kwh_yOzJ6AY

yes

also who the fuck programmed these forums because being unable to even post a video is fucking 2004
    Last edited by Manna; 10-08-2014 at 04:44 AM.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I've been drug out the back of cars (while attempting to sell drugs), had a .45 waved in my face by a methed out 17 year old, and have done enough drugs to rival that of Hunter S Thompson.

It's fair to say I should be dead. I have a very romantic idea of some dark entity following me and protecting me, but it's probably just a lot of dumb luck.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Believe as you will, whatever makes things the easiest, but your situation can be explained via confirmation bias.

You noted that something was seemingly statistically unlikely, therefor you think to other situations in which something unlikely happened so it seems like a lot. You're not noting all the bad shit that went according to plan, or was unlikely.

As noted you don't KNOW that your path is genuinely for the best versus the one that appeared to have more strife.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Believe as you will, whatever makes things the easiest, but your situation can be explained via confirmation bias.
    You noted that something was seemingly statistically unlikely, therefor you think to other situations in which something unlikely happened so it seems like a lot. You're not noting all the bad shit that went according to plan, or was unlikely.
    As noted you don't KNOW that your path is genuinely for the best versus the one that appeared to have more strife.
    Yeah pretty much this.

I mean, if you simply consider the impossibility of having met the people you are friends with now. Just as simple as that. Or just people you know online. You went through a series of complex situations and events that led you into having the same hobby and interest, or some meet where you had something in common, and through subtle and eventual socialization, came to know each other as "friends".

I mean, when you look at it in that light, it's very possible that every aspect of your life is due to some divine intervention. The fact that you're sitting there, reading this on an electronic-internet-machine, means you've been born in a somewhat developed are that happened to be English speaking (or was able to learn english through some other means). Versus all of the millions of people in third world or non-advanced countire. And you were born in this time era, instead of the thousands of years before where electricity didn't even exist.

Whoa I think I just perspected myself into dizziness.

I need a sec.

Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    I guess I'm kind of jaded because I've more or less had a direct hand in both 'miracles' and 'tragedies.' It's nice to think things are out of your hands, but a lot of the time the difference between someone living another day or not is very much in my wiggly little latex-coated finger-doodles.

So divine intervention, I don't really believe in it. It really just comes down to luck (our protocols and response times) and probability. I've not witnessed or partaken in a life-changing, near-death miraculous event that can't be explained by reasonable scientific means, or dumb luck.

Really, if there was someone up there pulling the strings, they are kind of a sociopath. ;w;

That said I'm actually rare in my field. A shocking number of medics are pretty darn religious. As long as they do their job competently, they can attribute saves and victories to whatever they want, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    Yeah pretty much this.

I mean, if you simply consider the impossibility of having met the people you are friends with now. Just as simple as that. Or just people you know online. You went through a series of complex situations and events that led you into having the same hobby and interest, or some meet where you had something in common, and through subtle and eventual socialization, came to know each other as "friends".

I mean, when you look at it in that light, it's very possible that every aspect of your life is due to some divine intervention. The fact that you're sitting there, reading this on an electronic-internet-machine, means you've been born in a somewhat developed are that happened to be English speaking (or was able to learn english through some other means). Versus all of the millions of people in third world or non-advanced countire. And you were born in this time era, instead of the thousands of years before where electricity didn't even exist.

Whoa I think I just perspected myself into dizziness.

I need a sec.
    Wat.

Stahp.

You're performing the creationist fallacy of large numbers.

Yes, it was statistically unlikely for a person to meet and form relationships with their particular circle of friends, but by the same measure it was also statistically likely that relationships would and continue to form. The specific people are each incredibly unlikely, but the outcome of relationships forming over a lifetime is almost an inevitability. The same doesn't hold for life or death situations, the outcome is not written in stone. When you're presented time and again with situations that carry a high fatality rate and emerge unscathed you find yourself drifting further and further from the median to the point that yes you are lucky to be alive. The chances of you dying increase exponentially as you keep racking up the various fatality percentages of every life or death scenario.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD