Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Being offended doesn't make you right. You pulled this same "don't use that mean word" stunt at FurAffinity before you were banned. It was a joke then, and it's a joke now. Furries are not an oppressed or marginalized group. Do not compare dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people to friendly name-calling.
    Fine, I won't. I'll compare dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people to dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people, which is EXACTLY what saying "furfag" is. And YES we are. Stop pretending it's no big deal and face the facts asshole. But like I said, that's not the topic. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    You'll have to wait till my generation is dead or becomes too old to be considered a demographic. I thought about it when @MatthewWolfbane brought up the fact that gaming use to be quite colorful. As the children of the 90s aged so too did the games. Most of those kids now are heading into their late 20s and while a game like Star Fox was their favorite back them, most of them now have "grown up" (and arguably sterilized) taste. As kids anything and everything was on the table, this game has you playing a Frisbee? Awesome. This game makes you burn things as a dragon? Cool beans. I'm a walking sharp witted gecko? Fuck yeah. Most adults however lose this and end up bolstering a more narrower imagination set mainly consisting of zombies and brown palettes. Gaming was suppose to be an art form by now, protected from the same monotone brush that has painted TV and Hollywood for decades; instead it now has more similarities with movies than books.
    I do notice the same thing in movies. While a nice anthro animated cartoon movie can still do well, a lot of the movies are just like games: Dark, gritty, and for the most part incredibly generic. But like movies, there are often games that do stand out among the crowd. Sadly, they seem to be few and far between.
    Last edited by Benny Bunnycorn; 10-21-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Being offended doesn't make you right.
    This needs to be framed and sold as posters.

Also don't let my prose fool you, there were plenty of brown-hued games during the 90s; Quake and Doom being ridiculous popular as well as all its clones (though still not as gritty as modern games I suppose). However it wasn't as overbearing back then because the crowd for them (80s kids) were much smaller so it allowed for a greater mix in choices. You could find just as many copies of Harvest Moon as you would find NBA Jam.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 10-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    I think my biggest problem with "furfag" is that you act like it's no big deal to call someone a seriously offensive word. "Oh, we're just joking around, no big deal." Yes, big deal. You may not think so because, maybe, you don't hang out with REAL furries that often, so it's alright for pretend furries to call other pretend furries "furfag." Tell that to a real furry, and they will NOT take it lightly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Also don't let my prose fool you, there were plenty of brown-hued games during the 90s; Quake and Doom being ridiculous popular as well as all its clones (though still not as gritty as modern games I suppose). However it wasn't as overbearing back then because the crowd for them (80s kids) were much smaller so it allowed for a greater mix in choices. You could find just as many copies of Harvest Moon as you would find NBA Jam.
    I don't know if people actually buy Nintendo games as much as they used to, but I do know that for the most part they're still well liked these days. Whether Nintendo makes anthro games or not (which they generally don't except for a few cases like Star Fox), do you think Nintendo is carving a niche for itself and those who prefer more whimsical and colorful games? Then again, Wii U and 3DS haven't been as successful as its past consoles. If Nintendo ends, will whimsical games pretty much die with it? ...And pretty much video games in general?

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    I think my biggest problem with "furfag" is that you act like it's no big deal to call someone a seriously offensive word. "Oh, we're just joking around, no big deal." Yes, big deal. You may not think so because, maybe, you don't hang out with REAL furries that often, so it's alright for pretend furries to call other pretend furries "furfag." Tell that to a real furry, and they will NOT take it lightly at all.
    I'm sorry I feel bad contributing to this but I've actually never heard the word furfag be used by anyone other than actual real-life furries
    unless you're suggestion is that my friends are all poseurs for some reason

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Okay, I'm done. Any more discussion on that matter, just put it in my VM and we'll talk about it there. I know WE shouldn't be clogging the topic up with it, but we keep doing it anyway, so if you REALLY need to talk about it, talk about it in VM.

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Wii U is the crap console that's failing. As for video games dying off if Nintendo does, LMAO!!! I honestly highly doubt it. The hundreds of indie games that outnumber and outclass Nintendo games today? The huge studios raking in more profits annually than Nintendo games pull in as a whole? Steam alone has 100 MILLION active accounts. And the fact that the Wii U is an irrelevant joke, a pitiful laughing stock among developers and consumers in the same corner as the XBox One, I don't think the entity that is the gaming industry would be crippled for long if Nintendo closed shop.
    I've never understood the hype surrounding the Wii U. Awful games, awful console. I feel that Nintendo's best performing market has always been handhelds, though I will gleefully admit that the Gamecube was an absolute joy. I still have mine! If, however, Nintendo would make an open-world, super-detailed Pokemon fighting RPG for console, I might be willing to change my tune about the Wii U... But we know that will never happen. CRYING FOREVER. :'c

Nintendo has other anthro games aside from Starfox (which another one is in development).
    Too bad it'll be on the Wii U, because I really enjoy Starfox. I loved Adventures on the Gamecube, even if it was a little tough for me at the time.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Playstation has always been my favorite hands down...although I've only owned a PS1 and PS2, but I still had tons of fun with sonic heroes and the sly cooper series. I will never get over that.

As far as super mario goes, I still think bowser is kick ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    Okay, I'm done. Any more discussion on that matter, just put it in my VM and we'll talk about it there. I know WE shouldn't be clogging the topic up with it, but we keep doing it anyway, so if you REALLY need to talk about it, talk about it in VM.
    ^^^Yeah, he's right. Just drop the subject I'd hate to see people get banned for arguing.

And at least compromise if you're going to use the word don't use it around people who take offense, simple as that
    Last edited by WolfNightV4X1; 10-22-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    3DS is massively successful with an install base of 45 million or so. Wii U is the crap console that's failing. As for video games dying off if Nintendo does, LMAO!!! I honestly highly doubt it. The hundreds of indie games that outnumber and outclass Nintendo games today? The huge studios raking in more profits annually than Nintendo games pull in as a whole? Steam alone has 100 MILLION active accounts. And the fact that the Wii U is an irrelevant joke, a pitiful laughing stock among developers and consumers in the same corner as the XBox One, I don't think the entity that is the gaming industry would be crippled for long if Nintendo closed shop.

There's this weird myth that Nintendo saved the industry in the 80's and so we owe them for PC, Playstation, XBox, Sega, and other game related jazz. But its false. After the US console crash, gaming was still going strong before Nintendo showed up with the NES (Famicom was out in this time), especially in Japan and Europe. If it was fine then, it would certainly be fine now being a multibillion dollar industry and all. We get shitloads of creative quirky and colorful titles year round I could easily list that Nintendo deserves no credit for. I see no reason why that'd stop. Sure, it might be kinda sad that this archaic company is gone, but that's about it.

For the sake of relevance. Nintendo has other anthro games aside from Starfox (which another one is in development). Donkey Kong's been strong lately Dillon's Rolling Western was a cool tower defense title. Those are off the top of my head anyway...
    I seriously think Dillon needs a sequel on the Wii U. The 3DS didn't do the concept justice, but it's a great start.
    I suppose what would be more fair to say is "Whimsy" in video games. While there ARE whimsical video games coming out from other companies, Nintendo's the main dispenser of those kind of games. If Nintendo ends up dying, how would that effect the rest of videogames, I guess is what I meant to say, but you kind of answered that in your post.

Weasyl
    N/A
    There's this weird myth that Nintendo saved the industry in the 80's and so we owe them for PC, Playstation, XBox, Sega, and other game related jazz. But its false.
    So the hundreds of articles, documentaries and archived news-clippings are all faked? I never heard of anyone owing them for the PC as a PC isn't a home console (and technically speaking the PC is what gave birth to home consoles so it would quite literally be the other way around).

Europe and Japan having a strong gaming base was irrelevant when the power house of gaming was stationed in the US. In fact, Japan dominance of the industry was directly due to this "myth" of the video game crash of 1983. This is why Bill Gates had a racist hard-on in the late 90s to "bring gaming back to the US" with the development of DirectX and its eventual evolution as the X-Box (dubbed the Manhattan Project [and later Midway for the xbox] for obvious reasons).

This "myth" is also greatly at fault for creating the gender lines we see today. Boys were/are considered a safer financial bet than girls and hence anything 'computer' was heavily marketed as a boy toy like if it were a Tonka truck. And if you think "oh man lol comparing it to an actual toy", well, that's exactly how Nintendo saved gaming. Nintendo did not sell a video game console, they sold a robot that so happened to come with a game console. Toy stores saw consoles as "yet another trend" like how Pogs and Tamagotchi would later become so they didn't feel like wasting valuable shelf space on them.

So yeah, go ahead and white wash this pinnacle moment in video game history. It's not like it's had any sort of impact on the culture to date.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 10-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    The only hype you'll see about the Wii U is from the fleeting fanbase of Nintendo diehards. Developers have actively come out against the Wii U. It sells horrendously. And even Satoru Iwata blatantly called it a failure compared to the Wii.
    Wow, I didn't know they said that about their own product. With as much as I hear the praises of the Wii U, I must know a lot of those people. All I feel is shame. :c