Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Mugourth
    I don't see why anthro-related work wouldn't completely work, though. There is a market for it: not just for Furries, but for people who aren't as close minded.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    I don't think it's small enough that there should be almost nothing but games staring humans, especially overly serious ones with no real personality visually or socially. I know we all are human, but that's part of the reason I don't like playing as them. I can be human all I want in real life.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Even if furries are a minority, I still would think there'd be enough of them to show them SOME love in forms of media other than just cartoons and cartoon movies. I mean, even if we're not a big enough fanbase to warrant a game with nothing but anthros we should at LEAST be big enough to warrant games that have anthro playable options. ...Or at the very least non-human ones in general that aren't just humanoids like elves and vampires and such.

Cause like I said, anthros may not make a game fun, but they can often make a game MORE fun, especially if those are your interests. (And assuming the game is fun to begin with)

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    While Benny and others with the same mindset pretend there's some conspiracy to "oppress" furfags,
    1: I never said that.
    2: NEVER use the term furfag. It's not a joke or a friendly nickname, it's insulting and offensive.
    Last edited by Benny Bunnycorn; 10-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    It can and has worked. But the market for it is small now if there even is one at all. Frankly, whatever demand for it is irrelevant.
    Fantastic point. I feel that some folks delude themselves into thinking that simply because they surround themselves with the demographic most likely to play a certain kind of game, it means that any such produced game targeting their demographic would yield a sustainable level of demand. Popular titles are often expensive to produce, and require a large potential consumer base to turn a profit.

What some don't seem to remember is that market demands for entertainment products fluctuate with cultural trend changes. Consumers are influenced by popular culture, generational ideas and phenomena, among a great many other things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that there were more popular games through the 90's and early 2000's that featured playable animal characters, than there are now. Today's popular titles seem to be trending toward people as the playable cast. Did we perhaps already live the era of the (for lack of a better term) animal game?

(Unrelated, but does Weasyl have the mention feature enabled? 'Cause I'd like to know what my favorite furfag, @MatthewWolfbane, thinks about all this. P:)
    Last edited by Tipsy; 10-20-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I've learned that Weasyl does not, in fact, currently have a mention feature, so I'll just have to settle for linking. :'c

Weasyl
    Matthew Wolfbane
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Fantastic point. I feel that some folks delude themselves into thinking that simply because they surround themselves with the demographic most likely to play a certain kind of game, it means that any such produced game targeting their demographic would yield a sustainable level of demand. Popular titles are often expensive to produce, and require a large potential consumer base to turn a profit.

What some don't seem to remember is that market demands for entertainment products fluctuate with cultural trend changes. Consumers are influenced by popular culture, generational ideas and phenomena, among a great many other things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that there were more popular games through the 90's and early 2000's that featured playable animal characters, than there are now. Today's popular titles seem to be trending toward people as the playable cast. Did we perhaps already live the era of the (for lack of a better term) animal game?

(Unrelated, but does Weasyl have the mention feature enabled? 'Cause I'd like to know what my favorite furfag, @MatthewWolfbane, thinks about all this. P
    In the current world of video games, if it's not there, someone else can make it.
    If you want to see anthro/furry games happen, I'm sure someone can demand it; but for a major studio like Electronic Arts or Activision to take it on, it would need to be extremely popular for that to happen, and not just something a fringe group would buy.
    Still, the world of independent video game development could be a key to this little quandary; many young talents can be found these days founding small studios, and sometimes these independents can end up making it big.

I believe, though, that mainstream game developers these days seem to be more about making games more akin to movies, trying to be as "gritty", "dark", "grimdark" and "realistic" as possible with cutscenes involving lengthy amounts of bullshit amounting to the storytelling.

If you look at the era where games like Spyro the Dragon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo Kazooie, StarFox, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter could reach popularity, I'm pretty sure you'd find an entirely different mindset there.
    Back then, games weren't just about dark graphics (although there were some classics in that genre) and simplified quick time events, they were also in general much more colourful and flexible in terms of both graphics and cast.

Entirely different mindsets, when popularized, tend to change the big picture entirely and I believe this might be at least an influence on the way anthro/furry/cartoon animal characters seem to have gradually faded away from the scene since.
    Nowadays, the badass military hero seems to prevail mostly.

Not sure if that made a lot of sense, but that's my thought on the matter.
    Last edited by MatthewWolfbane; 10-20-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Last edited by Benny Bunnycorn; 10-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    I dunno man...we like to poke fun at these stupid stereotypes all the time, if you havent noticed the black people call each other nigga all the time it's a community thing. Plenty of furries call each other 'the f word' (since you dont like it) and its in a friendly since of camraderie.

I understand if you dont like it and maybe just ask politely that people dont use it with you but at least compromise and let people use words amongst themselves as they see fit. Especially , for example, if two furs were standing a little aways and were to call each other furfags in jest, and then you showed up and yelled at them for it.

Just pick your battles elsewhere...
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Some people have lots of self respect, some have less. But that's not the topic, so I'd rather just leave it at that.

I do notice that games like DotA and LoL have anthro characters in them, but also humans. Elder Scrolls does as well. Concerning something I said earlier, what if there were more games like those that let you choose between a dark and gritty human or an anthro? It wouldn't alienate the majority while still pleasing some of the minority, and if done right can even avoid having the furry card thrown around. I tend to notice less negativity towards anthro characters in games if they're not so whimsical and are more serious.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    I hope some day the dark and gritty fad dies and we start seeing more whimsy in the games.
    You'll have to wait till my generation is dead or becomes too old to be considered a demographic. I thought about it when @MatthewWolfbane brought up the fact that gaming use to be quite colorful. As the children of the 90s aged so too did the games. Most of those kids now are heading into their late 20s and while a game like Star Fox was their favorite back them, most of them now have "grown up" (and arguably sterilized) taste. As kids anything and everything was on the table, this game has you playing a Frisbee? Awesome. This game makes you burn things as a dragon? Cool beans. I'm a walking sharp witted gecko? Fuck yeah. Most adults however lose this and end up bolstering a more narrower imagination set mainly consisting of zombies and brown palettes. Gaming was suppose to be an art form by now, protected from the same monotone brush that has painted TV and Hollywood for decades; instead it now has more similarities with movies than books.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Tipsy