Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    meroe1313

Video Games with Animal Stars

Just some random rambling about vidja games.

Most games star human playable characters, because... well, obviously humans are more relateable to to the majority of the gaming community. But then you have a few games that use animals, aliens, or other non-human characters for the playable cast. For example: Angry Birds, Sonic the Hedehog, Sly Cooper, the Star Fox series, Spyro the Dragon, the Rampage series, Okami, just to name a few off the top of my head. Then you have games like Skyrim that let you choose your character's race, which sometimes includes non-humans.

Does it matter if the stars are mostly human or not? Do you enjoy games about humans more, or are games with animal stars more memorable and different because they don't use humans as playable characters? Can using animals as playable characters be a bad thing for the game's reputation or reception? If you were making a game with animal characters, what kind of game would you make?

- - - Updated - - -

I think one of the big reasons we don't see more epic AAA games with animal stars is because consumers instantly assume that games with an animal cast have to be for kids, like a cartoon? Which isn't necessarily true. Look at the Conker game for the N64... if you dare. There also could be the stigmas against the furry community factoring in there.

I honestly don't care if the cast is human or otherwise. As long as the characters are fun and the gameplay is solid, I'll enjoy it. I do think that growing up playing Sonic and Spyro made me love animals and fantasy like I do today though.
    Last edited by meroe1313; 10-02-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    I have no preference. The most memorable games of my childhood featured mostly animal characters, but the more memorable games I've played through my teenage years and into young adulthood have featured humans as the primary cast. It's not that I'm drawn either way, it just... sort of happened? Whether by the chance that I picked up a game and happened to like it, or by design of me growing up and losing interest in doe-eyed fairytale creatures repeatedly needing to save the world, I'm not sure.

I will, however, have to politely disagree with the point of stigma against furries playing any crucial part in most people's gaming choices. Anymore, it's a delight just to be able to find a good game, regardless of whether or not the playable characters are animals or people. From Spyro to Skyrim, so long as it's good, I will play it. :)

Weasyl
    oly
    and what about games where you don't control a character or you play as non-human or even perhaps non-living things?

There's all kinds of games.

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    meroe1313

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by meroe1313 View Post
    I think one of the big reasons we don't see more epic AAA games with animal stars is because consumers instantly assume that games with an animal cast have to be for kids, like a cartoon? Which isn't necessarily true. Look at the Conker game for the N64... if you dare. There also could be the stigmas against the furry community factoring in there.
    Well the 'Furry Age Ghetto' is a thing for sure, but there's also the dismaying dominant trend of "Straight white male" starring in blockbuster games today. Bonus points if he's bald/shaved.

I don't care if a main character is an anthro or not, but obviously, as a furry, I like controlling anthro characters. Alien Soldier is an amazing game, but it's made more awesome, to me, because the main character is a badass eagle-man.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    People may think it doesn't matter what the star is, but honestly I tend to have more fun playing a game that stars a colorful charming cat or a cool lizard than I do with a dusty brown, personality-less human, but it feels like almost every game these days stars the later. I can still tell the difference between a good game and a bad one, but still, when I like the main character more, I like the game more. ...On the flipside, I tend to strongly dislike games where I end up liking the villains and not the heroes. ...Also seems common to me.

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I don't even know who the fuck some of these people are...
    I only recognize Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3 (row one, square two), Shep from Mass Effect (row two, square four), and Alec Mason from Red Faction: Guerrilla (row four, square two). I know... I'm a terrible, awful gamer, and I should be ashamed. (But you should definitely play all three of those games if you haven't already! The stories made the games un-put-downable!)

Look at all those scowls and frowns, lol. There's enough stubble in that picture to put a winter coat on a sphynx! :'D
    Last edited by Tipsy; 10-13-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I never knew they only made 30 video games. How does the industry survive?