Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Special characters?

Weasyl
    GingerM

Special characters?

How does one do special characters in a forum post? I was trying for an accented 'a' in a post, and tried à but it didn't interpret. Or does that require HTML be turned on?
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fayv

alt+133

vBulletin used to happily let you use &x; and &#x; as standard in posts (regardless of HTML being allowed), but that changed a while back. Was fun abusing it. If you're on windows you can use charmap and copy what you want from there, if you don't know it or can't type it offhand.

Incidentally, some can be typed using AltGr, such as .

Edit: &100; and other combinations when posted will show up just like that, but when edited or quoted it'll then appear as the actual character ("d"). Except when editing in-line when it'll change it to the character straight away. Weird. So it sort of works.
    Last edited by Lizard King; 09-24-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: vBulletin is weird as hell

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Thank you both. I admit I was kind of hoping the &...; construct would be fully supported as I find it easier to remember things like à, é ç etc. than Alt-133. :-) However, as you also point out, there's always Charmap.
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Judicant
    if it helps, character alt-codes are mapped out with some sense of logic. I know offhand that is alt+0233 (and I'm sure there are other codes for it, since I know the example used, , as alt+0224), and if I just sort of used numbers near that eventually I can find the one I'm looking for (the a's are lower numbers than 0233, things like o's are higher, etc).

If you're on a mac, though, it's super simple and I love that.