New Painterly Style-Thoughts?

I'm working on learning to color in a more painterly way. I haven't decided if I want to keep the lineart or not. Let me know what you think! This is my first attempt, so any comments here or on the painting itself would be great! Thanks!

NSFW -- https://www.weasyl.com/submission/72...nterly-finally

I really like the look you have acheived with this style. The painterly style here gives the character a solid form and really makes them look 3D. I've always been a fan of painterly over other styles (despite not doing it myself because I suck like that ) and in this case I would definitely say to do more in this style. As for the line-art, the decision is yours, but in the end I would personally say that if possible, try not to keep the line-art because in real life, nothing actually has an outline. Perhaps paint over the lineart to blend it into the image?

Thanks! I'm going to give another a try soon. I'll see what I can do!

Weasyl
    FibS
    I would keep the lineart for now unless and until you raise the contrast, because without contrast and without outlines there will be significant issues in distinguishing the forms of overlapping parts of the body.

There is a major issue in that you're effectively pillow-shading the image - he seems to always be brightest in the middle or "thickest" parts and darker on all of the outsides / corners / "thinnest" parts, with only a few spots that hint at the light coming from above. You need to make that above lighting much more obvious (with higher contrast) to emphasize your gradients, which have all the texture of your shading and are thus a defining feature.

You should also practice perspective and foreshortening, which in conjunction with increased contrast will make the character's posture and shape much more defined.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    In order to achieve a painterly look you need to understand form. It's really our translation of perception of making the object look 3Dimensional where line is less present. Lines are our human perception of barriers between objects. It's best to work on life studies to learn how to translate this look in fantasy/fictional characters.

I believe pillow shading was mentioned and pillow shading occurs because we think the line is the "end" of the object rather than realizing the line is the separation of objects.

When doing a painterly style the major idea is to work large or use larger brushstrokes then slowly put in details. This takes a lot of practice and trial and error.

Keep at it!