Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm throwing this down cos I'm a semi-AFK at the moment, but:

When a group of women write things sexist towards women, is it only sexist because it clashes with another group of women's personal beliefs/values?

It's like sex-positive feminists saying sex-negative feminists are sexist, and then sex-negative feminists saying sex-positive feminists are the sexist ones.

I don't see how a member of a group can be oppressing themselves with their own opinions. Where has their individuality disappeared to?

It's like saying a woman who is genuinely happy looking after the kids, the house, and doting on her husbando like her friends are doing is somehow oppressing a totally different group of chicks.
    Last edited by FishNChips; 09-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I'm throwing this down cos I'm a semi-AFK at the moment, but:

When a group of women write things sexist towards women, is it only sexist because it clashes with another group of women's personal beliefs/values?

It's like sex-positive feminists saying sex-negative feminists are sexist, and then sex-negative feminists saying sex-positive feminists are the sexist ones.

I don't see how a member of a group can be oppressing themselves with their own opinions. Where has their individuality disappeared to?

It's like saying a woman who is genuinely happy looking after the kids, the house, and doting on her husbando like her friends are doing are somehow oppressing a totally different group of chicks.
    :/ Is it the 1960's again? This isn't relevant anymore. Let's chat some Hobby Lobby healthcare or something.

My analogy would be this: Is Uncle Rukus from Boondocks a racist? Or are all the other black ppl in it just dissenting from his opinion.

Of course he is. Just as women can be sexist. Don't we all know women who are sexist against themselves? I live in the bible belt of the southern united states and whew boy, lot's of slutshaming and being submissive to a man ideology still around. (Although with it being 2014 its not exactly an idea sported by the younger crowd)

It's just like how their are gays who are habor anti-gay sentiments. It's usually because a minority feels pressured to conform to the majority.

Weasyl
    N/A
    So we solve women's oppression by not letting women make their own lifestyle choices save for one or two selected options?

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    So we solve women's oppression by not letting women make their own lifestyle choices save for one or two selected options?
    Who's stopping them?

Now if you mean we shouldn't criticize them, then I must say that's a sexist idea. Woman should be treated as equals and neither sex is immune to cultural critique.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflygoddess View Post
    Who's stopping them?

Now if you mean we shouldn't criticize them, then I must say that's a sexist idea. Woman should be treated as equals and neither sex is immune to cultural critique.
    It'd be nice if they weren't constantly harassed, belittled, and bullied by people who claim to represent them when they do make their own choices.

Why should you criticize an individual's life choice that way? "I, as a woman, do not want to get married, have kids, or anything like that."

That's totally fine.

"I, as a woman, want to be a stay-at-home mommy."

Also fine.

Why horn in on people's lifestyles and criticize them so strongly? You're allowed to have your dissenting opinion towards it - which you already show by living your own damn life.

I have my own ideas on what a man should be, or if you wanna go for the minority route, how a deaf person should behave. I show it by living my own life and keeping it to myself, not telling others what to do.
    Last edited by FishNChips; 09-04-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    I mean there's a lot more to feminism than "it's ok for me to work with men/be a mom".

To your more broad point: I would disagree with you. But I come from a place where discussion and ideas flow like water in a stream. I would rather see a world where everyone is in disagreement rather than one where one person's pov has to be accepted by everyone.

And that's when you have to be careful around the "everyone shut the fuck up and keep your thoughts to yourself" mentality. It's so fearful.

What I found pretty funny was how a bunch o people are saying "wow, look how corrupt gaming journalism is!"

I'm over here saying "...You're just figuring this out now? I had this figured out when I was 14."

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    What I found pretty funny was how a bunch o people are saying "wow, look how corrupt gaming journalism is!"

I'm over here saying "...You're just figuring this out now? I had this figured out when I was 14."
    Everyone knew it was corrupt, but there was a kind of understanding. They got paid to promote games through "journalism" and other than that they were silent or actually reported gaming news. It wasn't until they started using their connections to push shit through that shouldn't be, actively tried to undermine the already threatened creative process, and began uniting under ridiculous SJW agendas that it started to stick in people's craw. We knew it was corrupt, we just didn't know how bad it had gotten, and they were never trying to claim the moral high ground to justify it or cover it up.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post

It's always been corrupt. That's what #GamerGate is about. The SJW shit is a shield.

This again makes my thoughts as to "...And it took you guys this long to try and mention this, before attacking SJWs?"

There honestly is a reason I really don't trust a lot of stuff about video game journalism unless it's "What's being made?". As soon as I noticed people were tweeting to each other and friending each other I knew they were obviously having ulterior motives.