Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ITT: Games and Websites that Shut Down

Post games and websites that closed their doors and you miss.

My ticket easily goes to Brawl Busters. It was an amazing game, that was ruined by what appears to be shitty publicity and a much too small/vindictive playerbase. To be honest, I'd do anything to get this game back up. It had a certain charm to it that made it amazing. They replaced it with another MOBA and some other arena type game that's much shittier than BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy3bCFZW3VA
    I should probably make a signature.
    *casually rolls over and does nothing*

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Tribes Ascend recently shut down. QmQ

There was also an MMO I played from 7th grade to second semester in college called Trickster. My first MMO and first multiplayer PC game that I played with the same friends for years.

QmQ

Wait I just checked and Tribes is still up though .3.
    And I'm not seeing any news on it have shut down either

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Not really "shut down" per se so much as all but impossible to run on modern hardware and operating systems due to compatibility issues, but I really, really miss playing MechWarrior 2. And since it's one of the most cursed IPs in existence, it will likely never end up on GOG. I don't think anybody even knows who holds the rights to it right now.

If that doesn't count, MechWarrior: Living Legends seemed pretty competently made until MechWarrior: Online forced them to close down, and since Smith & Tinker has bailed on MWO, it's currently being run into the ground by their remaining dipshit developers. They both had such promise initially, too.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic

Looked like fun, but then copyright got defended (as it needed to be), but that didn't make it hurt less. Was thinking about giving it a try, but that'll never happen now.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    This thread could more or less turn into an extended history of EA. One of my favorite games from sufficiently long ago was Magestorm, a Quake era fantasy FPS with persistent stats and character development by Mythic Entertainment (who made Dark Age of Camelot, were bought by EA, and are now obviously gone.) The sequel, Spellbinder, failed to catch on for a myriad of reasons, and no further revival attempts were made. It amazes me that the concept of an FPS with MMORPG style character progression never really took off and that Magestorm ended up a historical footnote of Mythic Entertainment. I guess there's Planetside, but its style is very different and completely lacks an equivalent the class dynamics and level progression of Magestorm.

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Oh yeah, didn't EA kill Pandemic?

The servers were shut down last I checked. And a few friends of mine that played it said they still weren't able to get on. I dunno, maybe the servers were just dead that week.
    Proly. Hell, could've just been down for maintenance even lol

Weasyl
    keyra
    chromehounds is the first game to come to mind for me, although there's a guy whose been making a spiritual successor from the ground up

Weasyl
    N/A
    Resident Evil: Outbreak

Looks like a genuinely interesting co-op experience.

Quote Originally Posted by keyra View Post
    chromehounds is the first game to come to mind for me, although there's a guy whose been making a spiritual successor from the ground up
    MAV looks pretty cool. I hope it catches wind. I had a demo of Chromehounds and I loved it, but I was too poor to get the full game back in the day.

I used to be really active on an a tiny little petsite known as Neurogalaxy. It was a really nice, small community and the artists and mods were very directly involved with the players, making a lot of the stories and events that occurred very tight-knit community events. Combine that with a great artstyle and it made for a really special little place!

However, the site encountered technical difficulties from which the staff did not have the resources to recover, community participation slowly trickled dry, and it shut its doors a few months back. It is terribly sad, as it was one of my favorite little places on the net.