Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 9???

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    I'll stick with Windows 7 then possibly switch over to Linux in the future. The app crap doesn't appeal to me at all. I like my desktop clean! It's a work desktop, not a tablet...

Weasyl
    NovaCaine
    I gotta say Windows 8 drove me nuts haha glad it's going to be over soon.

I personally really enjoy windows 7 and am currently still using it lol
    I have a secret.​
    A dark, furry secret with big teeth.​
    Less a secret, really - more a wolf.

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I've given up on Windows, 8 just ruined it, from now on I'll just be sticking with Windows 7, Mac OS X and Linux.

Microsoft have lost what it means to create a decent modern desktop without gimmicks. Why do I need to have a touchscreen menu when I don't have a touchscreen? It's good for tablets, but just not for PC.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    I've given up on Windows, 8 just ruined it, from now on I'll just be sticking with Windows 7, Mac OS X and Linux.

Microsoft have lost what it means to create a decent modern desktop without gimmicks. Why do I need to have a touchscreen menu when I don't have a touchscreen? It's good for tablets, but just not for PC.
    Keep in mind, people said the same thing about Vista.

MS almost seems to follow an Intel-like "tick-tock" cycle of major OS releases, where first they put out a radical redesign with a whole bunch of new features, and in the next one they polish it up and try to get everyone to not hate it.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I'm pretty solid on what I'd prefer, and it's definitely not using Windows OS thats build for touchscreens or tablets. xD
    I expect to see a modern desktop very much like Windows 7 is, but without the chunky huge taskbars they have built-in by default. I'm more minimalistic type of person so I have enough desktop space to do what I need to do without something at the bottom of the screen taking up that much extra space. :x

I like the modern desktop looks of the likes of Mac OSX and Linux, a small menu bar, and a dock with apps on it. Take a look example of the like of Ubuntu, that's the kind of modern desktop I'd most likely prefer, it's not too big or taking up too much space than it needs to. You have a menu bar at the top, and a dock menu at the side for list of applications.

The biggest thing I hate about Windows OS most is the fact they have this compulsory Windows Genuine Validation (WGA) crap, fuck that shit… I hate it so much… there's no need for it. Apple doesn't do it, nor does Linux, so why should Microsoft? Ever since they brought that crap in since Windows XP days it's done nothing but griefing because the licences that are issued out aren't what they're advertised and sold as, if you buy directly from Microsoft for a life-time key, it turns out it's only a 30-day trial when they falsely advertised it as life-time, plus overpriced OS Download… $199? no fucking way… Apple only charges $20-29 for their OS Download, but anyway… that was the last time I ever bothered with their WGA crap, ever since then I scrapped Windows for Mac OSX and Linux and things been much better there on I was able to get what I need done on Mac and Linux.

Weasyl
    N/A
    What's Windows 9? Did you mean Windows 10? Also I've had Windows 8 since release and it only bothered me the first two minutes before I realized I could hit the windows key and get to the desktop and completely avoid any "metro" apps. Also that I could use the tile screen as a giant quick launch screen. That part is great, keeps the desktop even tidier.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    I wasn't excited at all for 8, but 10 looks promising to me, especially now that Microsoft is considering making OS upgrades free. They stand to lose a small portion of revenue, but I think they'll gain some brownie points with the userbase. I've been adamant about not upgrading to 8, however, Microsoft will officially drop mainstream support for Windows 7 starting January 13, 2015. You will still receive free security updates through 2020, so I hope it won't take too long for them to put out 10. There's more information about the OS lifecycles here. :)