Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The limit of humor

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I don't think joking about traumatic events is okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I agree. I think there is a limit to humor, especially as someone who recently has gone through an experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I don't think jokes about things like my experience/people who share one like mine are tasteful, tactful, or funny nor are jokes about rape or PTSD or just traumatic events in general as Gamedog said. Idk, maybe it's different for me as someone who's experienced something like this but I do think there are some topics that just aren't something to make fun of/be entertained by.
    This is the sort of position that I find interesting, mostly because I don't really understand it. When you guys mean something like "not okay with x" do you mean that you personally never find such jokes funny or that people should absolutely never tell such jokes?

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    This is the sort of position that I find interesting, mostly because I don't really understand it. When you guys mean something like "not okay with x" do you mean that you personally never find such jokes funny or that people should absolutely never tell such jokes?
    I think people can and will joke about whatever they want, it's just that I personally won't make jokes about 9/11 and shit and won't find them funny if someone tells me them. If someone were to tell me a joke about something traumatic I'd probably tell them to stop, is what I'm saying.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #23
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I agree with Gamedog again. I don't think something that is massively emotionally or physically scarring is something I can find entertaining. Clearly it's up to personal opinion if it's funny or not, but I really just don't think those kinds of topics can be funny.

Y'all haven't read my 9/11 fiction obviously.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Sanity Is For The Weak Accellerant's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Accellerant
    Personally, I find that humors limitations are dependent on the joke tellers environment, the time and the society they live in. Such an example would be when the South Park crew released the episode "Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants". We were in a time where everyone was paranoid as hell and some were going to the extreme to prepare for anthrax and another terror attack, but the episode helped remind us to laugh. A good laugh can help us come to terms with what life has delt us and give ourselves a moment where we can forget about the negativities of life. But when it comes to jokes about recent traumatic experiences such as 9/11 or "jokes" which are more of personal attacks than anything, then that's when limits begin to appear.

But I have a feeling that as time goes on, there will be more and more jokes which revolve around 9/11 and even worse experiences. As time goes on and our memories heal, newer generations will be more open to humor we'd find appalling. I mean after all, many people I've been with are perfectly fine with a joke which revolves around the Vietnam War or World War I/II, three events which were very horrific, and yet it's much easier to play a joke around it because of how long ago it happened (really, it wasn't that long when ya think about it). But we know that if we were to say a joke like that around a War Vet, that'd just be plain offensive. The further along an event becomes, the more open newer generations will be to joking about it. Of course no matter what you do, everyone who was personally affected by 9/11 will never really move on from such an experience. I'm all for trying to get people to laugh, and it's a corner stone of whom I am, but I would never intentionally do something which I knew would hurt someone or reopen old wounds.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    accellerant summed my thoughts up perfectly

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    You can't appeal to everyone. Everyone will have a different opinion on how far is too far.

Weasyl
    keyra
    my kind of view on this involves something along the lines of why are we making jokes about traumatic subjects/marginalised people when this kind of stuff is horrible enough for them to deal with in the first place. to make yourself feel better? it doesn't make reasonable sense to me

i think it's more a matter of respectful behavior than whether or not you're entitled to speaking these sorts of things

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    No no no, comedy is an art form and art should not be subject to any censor.

If you're telling a joke to one person, then knowing their limits is fine. If you're telling a joke in a public medium, be as funny or as offensive as you wish. You are not obligated to censor yourself in this regard, be it a religious joke, dead baby joke or a 9/11 joke (or even all three).
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    N/A
    No joke is off-limits, but there is a point where jokes stop being jokes.

Joking about a topic is one thing. Joking about a person is a bit different.

People are not concepts or objects.