Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Art shaming

Ugh, that reminds me of a few years ago, shortly before Midwest Furfest. At lunch, me and my coworkers talked about the fandom, because one of them had seen a flyer for the con, so me and him had to briefly describe what it was.

Later that day, I saw "fer fags" written on the kitchen message board where anyone could see it. When I asked the one cook why it was there, he told me he saw a hostess had written it.

It wasn't until much later that I realized there was a damn good chance he was lying his ass off and had written it himself, because he was allegedly alone when it happened (aside from, allegedly, the hostess being present) and had eaten with us and heard the talk about the con, same as she did.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Some of those 'reviews' are just awful. 'I hate pink eye shadow' well oh my goodness. Upon further reading, Jose Pardo in the comments gives a very well written review of the cover. Judges should take a few lessons from him in the art of reviewing.

For those who don't want to search for it:

"Jose Pardo: I have to be honest, this is one of my least favorite paintings of yours. "The Fires of Heaven" and "Blood Divided" I absolutely love (and many others but the list would get long and boring). I even prefer the one where you show her sitting on a toilet (I think it was the same character, I couldn't find it on your website). When you originally posted this one on this blog I think you mentioned that the publisher had you tone down some of the "zombieness" of the girl, less rotting flesh etc to appeal to a wider audience. For me, that is part of the problem, she's kind of in between, not really zombie looking, not really human looking. While that was probably the direction you received, and pulled off, I don't think it makes for a "great" cover. But at the end of the day you can get a million different opinions on the net, what really matters is how well did the book do, was the art director pleased with your work."

In the end, the message he leaves makes sense. Art is supposed to invoke a response, negative or positive.

I touched on this before, but I agree, there's a big difference between "Here's how to make what you're doing even better," and "here's how to completely re-work something so you're catering only to MY interests".

With the Dan los Santos cover, I do see things I would potentially critique. Some of the anatomy's a tad wonky. But complaining about a zombie depicted covered in blood? What else do you expect a zombie to do, if not eat people?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I think you miss the point of his blog. Stop expecting everyone to like your artwork. Getting a strong reaction either way says you're getting a reaction. If everyone was just nice about your art, it's sitting on mediocrity, and no passion. That doesn't mean you're an unfeeling person and can't be bothered by negativity. However, you can't expect art and the audience to hold your hand.

You can get upset about it or realize it's part of the way things go.

One time when I was a teen I was drawing in public while waiting for my boyfriend, a guy came up to me, looked at my sketches and told me my art was so bad I should kill myself.

Anyway,I graduated art school this summer and already showed work in 2 expositions I was invited to. And I never saw that guy again, he's off somewhere living an anonymous life.
    So..

Yeah, learn to tell the difference between useful and useless feedback, take the good feedback and keep on drawing.
    Don't let people bully you into not doing something you love, their comments say more about themselves than they say about you.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    I'm not a good artist myself...so when I see artists that are less good then I am I don't really judge because there's a legion of better artist then me it's like a huge chain of rankings and ascending the ladder. I actually do appreciate 'bad' art especially if you can tell the artist is trying in each one they post, and I feel like I can see that one day they might actually develop something really good in their own style

I find that even really amazing artists are super critical of themselves, despite being waaaaay better than mosts.

As far as 'art shaming' goes, I think the real danger is the concept the artists have of themselves vs. others. I've seen far fewer people shame art but then again I haven't been around every single post to see every single negative comment so...
    Last edited by WolfNightV4X1; 10-17-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Hewge
    ^ Of course they're critical of themselves! You need to be able to see your flaws in order to fix them and improve ;]

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    ^ Of course they're critical of themselves! You need to be able to see your flaws in order to fix them and improve ;]
    It's not always the case, but almost all of my artistic improvement has boiled down to the sentiment, "oh god, that thing I drew looks so bad, how do I make it not look that bad?"

Just can't let drawing a bad thing make you want to stop drawing things, instead of keeping on and drawing progressively less-bad things.

Though I think there's a line between critical of your own work (a la "The composition could have been better, and I need to work on foreshortening") and "well, here's this piece of shit I drew, whatever." One is recognizing your own flaws, the other just sounds attention-seeking. I manage to see more of the former than the latter, thankfully, but maybe it's just the particular artists I watch or something.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    Well yeah '^_^ Of course it's important to see your own flaws but at the same time you can't be overcritical of your own work to the point where you feel extremely negative as compared to others. That's what I meant to say...
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war