Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Art shaming

Weasyl
    Cyan Glaciertooth
    I do artwork, first and foremost, for myself. I draw art in my style. I decide how I draw my art. I've been doing artwork in the styles of my choice since childhood, even before my entrance into furry fandom, and I always felt that my art was never flawless. I could point out what I thought I could've improved on and such. But a lot of people who have seen and commented on my art think I do a great job. I'm actually really amazed as to how much people have liked the art that I draw. Some people even said I should have a job in graphic design. In all honesty, I don't know what I've done differently that made people like my art, but I'll happily accept it.

As for negative comments on my art, there have been times I've received them, but they were usually constructive criticism, rather than insulting comments. That I'm fine with, too. In fact, feedback is always really helpful for me as an artist. I'm always wanting to improve my artwork, so I'm definitely open for feedback on whatever I draw!

Weasyl
    FibS
    I haven't been drawing because I suffer from thought shame, which pretty much leads to art shame since art relies on creative thoughts. The furry community has a very specific definition of how furry works, and you don't have to go far to find people arguing about whether furry cows "should" have breasts, udders, or both, or what kind of dick you draw on a horse / wolf / whatever.

I would just draw what I want and say fuck y'all - which is precisely what an artist should do, to be quite honest - but then I end up the bad guy. Ah well.

Eyup. I sure have. About a year ago or so now.

But I'm not replying to share my story, but rather my (completely unasked for) opinion.

Alot of artists seem to expect ass-pats, just because they tried. Hey, just because you try doesn't mean you deserve praise. In the real world or the business world, they'll tell you straight up: "Your art sucks."

Which is why I'm avoiding the business world a bit B)
    I should probably make a signature.
    *casually rolls over and does nothing*

Quote Originally Posted by Fibriel Solaer View Post
    I would just draw what I want and say fuck y'all - which is precisely what an artist should do, to be quite honest - but then I end up the bad guy. Ah well.
    This is what I tend to do. I drew a picture of the lead singer from Mumford & Sons, and it isn't even remotely human in appearance.

His nose is essentially a large penis with a piercing
    He has a single, central eye
    He has a cleft chin the size of Rhode Island
    He has a large wart on said chin
    He has a carrot for an ear
    I directly insult the band and denounce the fans in the description

And it's my opinion, and I hold to it, because I find the band to be goddamn annoying at best. I detest their music. Therefore, I drew something that reflects my feelings, and if others disagree, well that's, like, their opinion, man.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

i never understood why people get so upset whenever you make a technical point about an error in their work. it's a statement of fact when something's off (even if it's stylized), not a personal attack. and when it's clearly stylized, the only point i'd make in a critique is if it's not drawn clearly or the composition is cluttered or something. i save technical points for drawings that are trying to be realistic.

and besides, generally the next drawing you do is better than the previous, right?

granted, mistakes make stylized art interesting. that's why i'm working on drawing realistically while having *my style*. one's supposed to be straight-up realistic, the other is supposed to look unique and hopefully appealing with a mix of attractive and weird qualities.

i think the people who go DON'T CRIT ME WITHOUT PERMISSION!!1 are generally people to avoid. they've probably got flaws in other areas, too.

Quote Originally Posted by no_really View Post
    i think the people who go DON'T CRIT ME WITHOUT PERMISSION!!1 are generally people to avoid. they've probably got flaws in other areas, too.
    Everyone has flaws, but the ones who don't want critique are hurting themselves more than they're hurting anyone else. It's a waster time to try and teach people who don't want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rbartrop View Post
    Everyone has flaws, but the ones who don't want critique are hurting themselves more than they're hurting anyone else. It's a waster time to try and teach people who don't want to learn.
    I think this is important - it's very true on so many levels.

I think our society either shuns criticism or is way too heavy-handed on it. Either we're encouraged to only say nice things, or we have others tear into us viciously, demanding that we give up art forever, just for making the slightest anatomy mistake. I'm not surprised that people aren't used to it, but they need to learn when someone is genuinely attacking them, and when they're only trying to help.

Weasyl
    Nekoyoujo
    Art shaming is very common to anime style artists. It only happens on popular sites like dA, where they accept that kind of behavior.Art STYLE shaming is one thing, and art THEME is another. I'm surprised at how many people are saying they've never seen it before when the rest of the net outside of furry sites claims to hate furries. The hate has died down alot from the time that I knew it, but there are still a noticeable amount of people that still use the term "furfaggots".

I've seen the worst in art shaming and it's nothing for our community to be happy or accepting of. Everybody has the right to their opinion, but no body has the right to harass and bully anybody for their expression.

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    I can't recall ever being shamed for what I draw or my skill level, even when I was just starting out. In fact, I'm not so sure I can recall any instances of having witnessed that kind of behavior. Not to say that it doesn't happen.

As has been mentioned previously, the closest thing I've really seen to "shaming" would be "bad art" blogs, but a vast majority of them that I've come across typically offer some kind of helpful critique. The particular blogs that offer little more than petty, personally insulting commentary should be left to fade into obscurity where they belong. Do what you love, and keep an open mind. Improvement is a journey, and a journey is easier traveled with help! :)