Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Art shaming

There is always "that person"
    There will always be "those people"

With that, there will also be the people who try to help and encourage
    Do what you like because you like it.
    Nothing more

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I honestly have never seen that sort of "art shaming" for art alone. Heck I've browsed around lulz and even those harsh bastards tend to at least give some constructive crit (if in a harsh and rude manner) and won't tell someone to stop unless it's for other reasons (like the person is annoying or arrogant).

I've never been outright insulted about my art, or maybe I have thicker skin. I've had plenty of people nitpick, complain about silly shit, etc, but that's the nature of the beast, you either take what is said or let it slide like water off a duck's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    There is always "that person"
    There will always be "those people"

With that, there will also be the people who try to help and encourage
    Do what you like because you like it.
    Nothing more
    Pretty much how I see it myself.

I think that, between forty and sixty percent of the time nowadays, should I be "art shamed" for anything I've put up (literature or drawings), I'll very likely just reply in the "smuggest bastard in the world" manner.

"Dude, you're arts a fuckn joke u cant draw fer shid"
    "Why, thank you, faceless Internet user! Without support such as yours, my glorious works might fade into anonymity! However, because of your caring and compassionate attitude, I will not! Also, I noticed you have a number of basic English errors pervading your message. For the sake of clear communication with others, I suggest you make sure your mother or father are assisting you when engaging in mature activities. Thank you once again!"
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    N/A
    With the amount of shit I say about my art and internalise, there's not much anyone can say to surprise me.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    I've never had it happen myself. But I have had my fair share of creepy comments, and the "It would be better if it had (pointless thing that does nothing to actually improve the work, only appeal to the viewer's sense of aesthetic (or lack thereof))." types.

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    I have sadly been attacked by people about my art, so I can tell the diffrence between real help and someone being an asshole.

Art shaming is something I used to do I admit and I did it because of my own insecurity. Thankfully I grew up an relised how stupid and immature I was acting. I guess thats why I was attacked. Makes sence.

So that says something about the people who do it. Its useally young kids who feel shit about themselves.

Now Im only talking art shaming. Not harsh critique or any kind of critique for that matter. You can atleast find some pointers to use to improve yourself while art shaming is juts being an asshole.

Also most people who art shame only bash art rather then create. I respect someone who made a really crappy fanime more then the person bashing it. At least the fanime person MADE something.

Best thing to do is to walk away for a bit, then go back to the comment and read it again and see if you can use it in anyway. (I.E is there any truth to this?) if not try to delete and ignore. Energy is best not to spend on internet arguments.

Weasyl
    Getta
    I'd have to actually see examples of such "art shaming" to have a proper opinion on the matter, however I generally believe artists should try to see all comments regarding their work in a constructive manner, regardless of the critic's tone and attitude. Don't allow it to discourage you, let it encourage you to improve. Try and discern the source of the criticism, what it is about your work that the person does not like, and try to think how that can be improved. Maybe there's a nugget of an idea in there you can use, or at least try out in your next piece and see if there's merit to the idea.

Weasyl
    N/A
    ^ Though I partially agree, if the hate is on something like "oh you're drawing anime, this is garbage" or something along those lines that has to do more with the subject rather than the actual picture itself, I'd hardly be able to take that as any type of constructive criticism no matter how it's said.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    The closest thing I've seen to any kind of culture of "art shaming" is probably the tumblrs dedicated to making fun of bad/bizarre/baffling art. I don't frequent them all too often, but even then, I don't think I've seen one telling artists to stop drawing; just usually pointing out that an unskilled drawing of Sonic the Hedgehog accepting Jesus Christ is a weird idea for a drawing or something along those lines.

Honestly, any of the pointlessly mean ("stop drawing and go die" or whatever) comments I've seen left directly on lesser-skilled drawings (usually drawn by kids) generally come from people who are, themselves, kids. At least, whenever I've been bothered (or able) to check, if it sounds like a kid being a dick, it usually is a kid.

But yeah, thick skin is helpful. If anything, the internet is hug-boxier for art than any professional art circles that I know of.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.