Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Art shaming

Weasyl
    Mythil

Art shaming

Well I'm no artist, I've been trying for over 15 years but I never got any better so, well I just stopped. So I pretty much support anything keeps going despite their level of skill.

There does seem to be a culture of art shaming in the community, not a big one but still. I am happy with a person creating something, making something they feel proud of despite their level of skill. Some people will feel very happy with work that will never sell and some aren't happy with work that could by hung in a gallery.

Have you ever had people put you down because your art isn't up to their standard?

How do you feel about people who just create?
    "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"
    I'm a vegan I don't eat honey.

Need any help with martial arts stuff or 20th century cartoons/samurai cinema and gangster films?

My feeling is by and large to draw however and whatever you want. I've seen heavily stylized items (Ashley Wood, for example) that you have to either naturally like or learn to tolerate, but it's hard for me to say many artists are genuinely bad. Not gifted in some areas (god, David Finch needs to work on his faces), but not horrible overall.

It's been a long time since anyone gave negative remarks to my drawings, but nowadays, I'm inclined to not give much of a damn. I draw whacky nonsense that makes you want to puke? Yeah, I don't care, I draw as I want to.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Vae
    The way I see "art shaming" is that not everyone will like what you do.
    Some people will even outright tell you that.
    And that is completely okay.

As long as they're not being persistent and harassing about it, I view it in the same vein as being told things like "I really like your style" or "I really like this [subject material in the piece]," just on the opposite side of the spectrum.
    Opinions are opinions, and people are entitled to have their own.

Now, whether or not you actually take that commentary to heart is your own decision to make. For instance, someone recently told me on one of my pieces that she didn't like how "realistic" my portrayal / drawing style of Ludwig is.
    And I calmly responded to her that that's fine, and not everyone will like him, and I'm cool with that. But I'm still going to keep drawing him that way.
    I didn't get mad. She can dislike him if she wants. But I enjoy what I'm doing.

And criticism (which some particularly insecure people would mistake as "art shaming," I'm sure) is a whole different ballpark, because that's actually beneficial for growth as an artist.

A general rule of thumb I like to follow is: If negative commentary on it is going to hurt your feelings, don't post it on the internet.
    That goes for anything. Art. Life. Doesn't matter.
    But especially art. I don't really have any sympathy for people who willingly enter onto public sites with public commentary systems, and then moan and wail when they receive crit or opinions that disagree with their own.
    Last edited by Vae; 08-03-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by mythil View Post
    There does seem to be a culture of art shaming in the community, not a big one but still.
    Really? I've never seen it myself. Do you mean on weasyl specifically or just in general?

I've never had my art 'dissed even though it's average at best and sometimes fundamentally lacking. I'm not sure what they'd even say. "Hey, your anatomy sucks" "Yeah, no shit.". I think the primary barrier to criticism is it would require more people to actually be exposed to my artwork in the first place.

I personally enjoy artwork of all quality ranges, perhaps more heavily along what might be considered "amateur". There's something fascinating about the creations (and occasionally abominations) of people who have no idea what they're doing but are trying their damndest. Granted, I may not necessarily enjoy it for reasons the artist intended, so I tend to just admire from the shadows..
    And super-realistic turbo HD artwork is a bit uninteresting to me. But certainly nothing to criticize. Everybody has their own tastes.
    Last edited by Noxid; 08-03-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Of course! I'm pretty sure an artist of any kind receives rude things about what they make. I know I have, -almost- every time I've tried showing something to somebody!
    I guess most of the time people speak without thinking, and other times are trying to just be helpful with a critique but going about it in a horribly (horribly) wrong way.
    Although if you want to show your jazz to people, then you do need to have some hard skin.

I suppose I don't get as many negative remarks... or actually maybe more than I used to, but it's balanced out these days with kind things and actually useful critiques.

I'm going to clarify that to me "rude things" is stuff which is just unnecessary, and not very helpful.
    Saying that X thing looks off/seems out of proportion is one thing, but saying something like "Leg looks a bit freakin' big. Like they got some kind of life-threatening medical condition! :3" is another. xP

I'm personally also learning to just get drawings to a point that I'm simply happy with them, mistakes and flaws or not - if I likes it and I feel that I learned something, then it's good, and I'm ready to move onto another draw.

As for other artists - I always have this secret respect for those ones that seem to just show anything and everything to people, and stay seemingly secure about anything they make.
    Although I do have a bad habit of not really saying anything whatsoever about another artist's work. I'm rarely comfortable providing critique, and I'm also more of just a silent admirer, I guess. Which I do need to work on that. xD

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I figure I should just take negative comments as inspiration to get better! Obviously I'm not going to make everyone happy, but darn it won't stop me from trying to improve myself.

Even if it isn't designed to be constructive, just take it like that. I've had people say my art was ugly as hell. You just can't let it get to you.

Regarding people that just create despite a lack of skill, I think that is great! Everyone starts somewhere and they should enjoy themselves while they do it. Heck, even if they think they are the next Picasso who am I to disagree?

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Grad school taught me, a long time ago, that there will always be those who will try to put it down! there are also those who will always try to talk it up. No matter how good I might ever get, my wife will always hate it because she is embarrassed by the subject matter not the style or level. She thinks that I am throwing away my talents, if I have any, and should paint important stuff like trees!
    I enjoy all levels of work on this and other sites, and to anyone willing to try hard and to put it out there, I say... Way to GO! If they ask for a critique I will try to help. But it should be known that I for one will never put them down, though sometimes I may question why they would put some things of questionable judgment (subject matter) out there and not think that they would get arrested.

Weasyl
    Mythil
    Mmm, was sleeping, should have given some examples.

Well there is critique and I tend to think of two types of art. The first is the "I'm really going to try and make something even making it commercial" and then there is "I'm just going to draw regardless of how good it is".

I don't think I've seen art shaming here, I don't think people would get away with it. It's different from "criticism" in that criticism points out specifics on what you could do better on. Shaming is more along the lines of "this has to be a joke" - "You're not good enough, stop drawing" and so on. Also seems to go along with subject matter "I don't like this subject so it shouldn't exist let's point and laugh".
    Seen it a bit on some places that are hives of scum and villainy.

It's also possible I'm too huggy - lovey
    "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"
    I'm a vegan I don't eat honey.

Need any help with martial arts stuff or 20th century cartoons/samurai cinema and gangster films?

I have conflicted feelings about giving others critique. In general, when I state my opinion, I tend to get a lot of very negative reactions. I want to be honest, but broach topics in a gentle, fair, clear manner, accentuating both positives and negatives. That is the kind of critique I have mostly gotten, and that is the kind I want to give. However, merely saying "this needs a bit of work" to a younger artist once ended up with the artist telling me that she no longer trusted me, and that I was going to give her a panic attack. I felt very guilty about that, and I still do.

I realize that most of the bad critique I have gotten was not actually critique. It was mostly me submitting my artwork for critique, and getting a lot of "could you redraw this commission you did for someone else, but with ten of my characters in it instead, and for free," or "could you draw me free NSFW art of your OC, but engaging in my fetish," or a very vague "redo this," and so on. There have been other actual critiques I have gotten where I am not sure whether to take them or not. Ones where I submitted the same picture to several people for feedback, and one had an issue where the other three did not see one. So I am not sure.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think the only one who has really dissed up my artwork is myself aha XD. Though from others I've never experienced direct (or even indirect) hate to my art, but it could be that it filters more as critique than actual dislike.

For people who create for the sake of creating, I'm totally on board with that! Do what you love, ain't no one stoppin' ya!