Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 139
  1. #11
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445

  2. #12
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Ratte, out of curiosity, how do you get such smooth lines? Do you do it freehand or with the pen tool? Either way, I'm still loving your dragons! They're awesome!

  3. #13
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ratte, out of curiosity, how do you get such smooth lines? Do you do it freehand or with the pen tool? Either way, I'm still loving your dragons! They're awesome!
    Freehand with the line stabilizer in SAI since I'm super picky about my lines. If I'm having trouble with really long strokes I just use the curves tool and manipulated things further. I don't like using that unless I really need to, though.

  4. #14
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Freehand with the line stabilizer in SAI since I'm super picky about my lines. If I'm having trouble with really long strokes I just use the curves tool and manipulated things further. I don't like using that unless I really need to, though.
    Ahh, you use SAI. I have a little experience with it; I might actually look into into work with it more. I use Photoshop CS5 at the moment for my drawings, have heard many good things about SAI. And my biggest problem is lineart, and as yours is always spot in, it really shows the features of the program. Is it simple to do lineart or fairly complex?

  5. #15
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ahh, you use SAI. I have a little experience with it; I might actually look into into work with it more. I use Photoshop CS5 at the moment for my drawings, have heard many good things about SAI. And my biggest problem is lineart, and as yours is always spot in, it really shows the features of the program. Is it simple to do lineart or fairly complex?
    Lineart (and everything else) in SAI is extremely easy. Pick a size, set your stabilizer, and draw. I moved from CS4 to SAI and I adore SAI; you don't have a bunch of bulky shit like CS+ does and the only thing useful about PS that I've noticed is actual graphic design stuff. Drawing? Hardly. PS is bulky and slow as sap and SAI takes all of two seconds (if that) to boot up on my computer. Go ahead and try it!

  6. #16
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Lineart (and everything else) in SAI is extremely easy. Pick a size, set your stabilizer, and draw. I moved from CS4 to SAI and I adore SAI; you don't have a bunch of bulky shit like CS+ does and the only thing useful about PS that I've noticed is actual graphic design stuff. Drawing? Hardly. PS is bulky and slow as sap and SAI takes all of two seconds (if that) to boot up on my computer. Go ahead and try it!
    I actually have an issue with my computer where FireFox has a tendency to crash while Photoshop is open. Which is part of why i don't oekaki much anymore, because I'm at high risk of losing my picture if PS is open. If i can have SAI and Firefox open at the same time, I will be incredibly happy.

  7. #17
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I actually have an issue with my computer where FireFox has a tendency to crash while Photoshop is open. Which is part of why i don't oekaki much anymore, because I'm at high risk of losing my picture if PS is open. If i can have SAI and Firefox open at the same time, I will be incredibly happy.
    Could always try a different browser. Ever tried Chrome or a chromium-based variant of it? Otherwise I think you'll like SAI since it's not a resource pig and it's really simple to use. I don't have to worry about losing my image unless my computer actually bluescreens.

  8. #18
    Premium User FishNChips's Avatar

    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,052
    I also suggest using SAI. I've tried tons of different drawing programs, and SAI beats them all.

    However, all SAI leaves to be desired is stuff like text tools, for example. But there's no reason why you can't draw in SAI and then import into PS for that stuff.

    Do many people in the creative industry use SAI? I've never known. It all seems to be photoshop for them, bad I say.

  9. #19
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post

    However, all SAI leaves to be desired is stuff like text tools, for example. But there's no reason why you can't draw in SAI and then import into PS for that stuff.
    Excellent point. I never thought of that! My preference is to draw illustrations rather than design text based images. I'd feel more comfortable working with Illustrator (vector, outlines, and I think PDF), Maybe Photoshop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Do many people in the creative industry use SAI? I've never known. It all seems to be photoshop for them, bad I say.
    I'd imagine they use Adobe CS6 programs. Photoshop has a ton of filters, adjustments, masks, font, brush type and size, vanishing point, etc., and I don't think SAI offers that. Illustrator is popular with graphic designer, Photoshop can be used for retouching, restoring, and isolating the desired selection.

  10. #20
    I'm trying to draw some Tomba fanart, and I'm attempting to sketch the construction using this and this as refs, I've never drawn this character before, nor am I very good at drawing human forms, and something looks really off to me - granted, I drew the initial sketch when I was dead tired and built off it later, but now, it's starting to look less like what I want it to and more deformed. Can anyone give me some advice about what I'm doing wrong?

    For reference: I did a playthrough of both games over livestream and was pretty frustrated that you get near-worthless items from chests you need to wait for endgame to open, like lunchboxes, so thinking about opening a million year old cheat that has food in it seems pretty disgusting. I wanted to poke fun at it. (An otherwise amazing game, but I wish they finished it instead of plopping lounchboxes in hard-to-reach chests instead of useful or interesting items)
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •