Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Writing should be fun!

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67

Writing should be fun!

Hey guys, I have read a lot of the threads here and I see that there is a lot of great information, but, You all seem to have forgotten that writing should be fun. If we the authors don't enjoy writing it then how can we expect the reader to enjoy reading it? It almost seems like a lot of you take it as a chore. Writing is fun and we should take is serious but good grief, it is not a comp paper. I have several series of books that I can't wait to write just to see what happens next! I watch the characters grow and change and evolve from the apprentice wizard who in the end becomes an Arch Mage to the warrior who in his old age has a following of children who love to listen to the stories of the old days.
    The ideas are limitless and even in the great adventures there can be comic relief, a tool often used to keep the writer as well as the reader interested. Granted I have not yet been able to post stories to this site, an issue with coding (what ever that is) but soon I will. Maybe we can get the site people to post a contest and make an advertisement for the winning story, the prize... or something like that. A picture may be worth 10 thousand words but hey, 10 thousand words can paint one heck of a picture! If we can get some good stories to go with all that art, then maybe we can make this site even more popular than certain other sites! What say you? We could create a multi author story and even a comic strip just for Weasyl! How about we splash some water on our faces, brew a pot of coffee and see who can write the best story about the funniest thing that ever happened to you in a bar, at school or any place else?

Coffee is absolutely disgusting. I won't touch it.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Alright so Hot Chocolate? MT Dew? Anything! just remember the immortal last words of Socrates, "I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarl View Post
    MT Dew?
    I'm pretty sure Mountain Dew has been under fire lately for independent research showing that it increases the chance of suffering diarrhea by more than 40%.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Wether you have a beverage or not is up to you! I was talking about get excited over the writing! we are the creators of worlds, the one who spark the imagination, put forth new ideas. We create the stories that may or may not be remembered in a hundred years.
    We put forth our efforts for others to enjoy, to make them laugh, to make them cry, to take them to places they never imagined.

Whoa, calm down, I'm having trouble telling if you're becoming agitated by my limited palette.

And for the record, others enjoying my works is a side effect.

Hey guys, I have read a lot of the threads here and I see that there is a lot of great information, but, You all seem to have forgotten that writing should be fun. If we the authors don't enjoy writing it then how can we expect the reader to enjoy reading it? It almost seems like a lot of you take it as a chore. Writing is fun and we should take is serious but good grief, it is not a comp paper.
    I agree that if you're interested in being in a full-time writer, you should absolutely enjoy what you're doing. Even if you treat it as a hobby, make sure it's something you love to do. However, I'm concerned that you may have misinterpreted some of the posts here. As fun as writing is, there is some hard work involved in improving and honing the craft, whether you're a professional or a hobbyist. Not all of it can be fun 100% of the time for every writer, but that's okay. Every author is different, and some of us will have periods where we we struggle with our work. That's okay too. This subforum is a good place to vent, air frustrations, and learn from one another about the craft. So don't worry too much; I don't think people have forgotten why they do what they love
    Last edited by Nattles; 08-03-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    My apologies if it seems like I am ranting, no way, I am raving! I love to write! Can't stop, gotta see what happens next! How will the characters grow, who lives, who dies, who is the good guy and who is the villain? What happened when they????
    I do get excited about work. I know that some of it is work, and the worst part is the spell check and the thing with commas.
    Then there is that darn format stuff. Since I predate personal computers I have no idea what that format stuff means! I would love to post a few stories here but what the heck is a UTF format error? Oh well. For now I do not write full time, just a hobby like my art.
    But once I retire in a couple of years, I am going to take all the books I have written to date (those that are not yet published ... 48 of them) and work them until they are ready to put out there!
    BlueJaySF- Sorry if it seemed like I was getting upset! I wasn't just don't want to side track. I love to read stories that people post here and on the other sites, because it seems like the publishers have become so stuck up....I just can't find many new works I liked in the so called real publishing world. I call this the real publishing, because it is not controlled by a few snobes who think that they can tell us what we should like! ICK, if I wanted to have a mind so restricted I would get a lobotomy.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    MLR
    One month late, but hey.

For me, writing is the most fun when it's over. It's sort of like doing really difficult math or physics problems, where you bang your head against the wall and agonize for hours trying to find which partial derivative you did wrong or where you missed a negative sign, and you redo a bunch of the steps trying to make sure you're doing everything precisely right, and wracking your brain for all the tricks you learned from years past. And after a while you start to feel utterly miserable and frustrated and you want to just give up, but then you sleep on it, and suddenly the next day you arrive at a solution that's so elegant and beautiful it makes up for everything and all of your confidence is renewed.

I think without that struggle, writing would be a much less pleasurable experience, honestly. Or at least far less rewarding. That may be true of most things, actually (that it's good to suffer a little).

Weasyl
    Manna