Best Anti-Virus Freeware?

I have an old Windows 7 PC desktop that I primarily use as a TV for music and Netflix. I already have Malwarebytes installed, Avast refuses to install and AVG only gives me the trail that eventually. What's out there other than those three programs that you tech-savvy lovelies would recommend?

Weasyl
    Vae
    AVG is free, you just need to download the free version, and not the normal one. Unless you agreed to a trial of the full version somewhere during the installation process. I don't know. I haven't used AVG in a while.

I use a combination of Avast and Malwarebytes.
    Odd that it won't install to your machine.
    Resident Koopa Trash

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Microsoft Security Essentials has served me well over the years.

Sanity Is For The Weak Accellerant's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Accellerant

Weasyl
    Vae
    I know viruses can also stop an antivirus from being installed (which I unfortunately learned firsthand, way back in my internet babby days), but it probably wouldn't have allowed AVG, either.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Saiko
    I'm a fan of using Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and CCleaner. Together they've done a good job for me without being annoying or resource intensive like AVG, and they do a good job of catching each other's shortcomings. CCleaner in particular is good for cleaning up behind the other two in case something messed with the registry.

Weasyl
    FibS
    Avast! and AVG are fairly popular security technologies, but I'd warn you that AVG installs a security toolbar that itself behaves much like malware and may be very irritating to you.

As for spyware scanners, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good one. Don't bother with SUPERAntiSpyware; it has the lowest detection rates ever, and the only thing it catches that nothing else does are tracking cookies (which are not even programs let alone "malware", which you can remove by clearing your cache in your web browser, and which you will always have as long as you're using the Internet.)

CCleaner, while not a malware scanner of any kind, is great for making sure things uninstall properly and improving your PC's performance by optimizing stuff like your registry (remember to save backups!) It can also wipe your free space, but this can take most of your day, depending on how much free space you have.