Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 155
  1. #101
    Regular mythil's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Mythil
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavi View Post
    Honestly some trigger warnings are perfectly valid. I get extremely squicked out by body horror of any kind, and I ironically thank the over-sensitive people who tag everything, because it means I get to quickly scroll past something I'd rather not look at. But body horror doesn't give me an "omgz panik attack!111" or anything, I'm just grossed out by it.

    As for the whole tumblr vs. 4chan thing, neither side is right. I'm a regular of both sites, and I can say that both of them contain stupid shit that I'm happy is kept on the internet and not leaked out into real life. Tumblr has babies with an extreme victimization complex, most of whom have never been abused in any way, and 4chan has creeps who wish for nothing but to make everybody around them miserable. Neither is better than the other, because there is no voice of reason.
    But when they clash, guess who wins? .... trick question, it's the rest of the intertubes.
    "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"
    I'm a vegan I don't eat honey.

    Need any help with martial arts stuff or 20th century cartoons/samurai cinema and gangster films?

  2. #102
    /b/'s chaotic evil tendencies are the only saving grace of the internet. From their endless font of madness comes forth such vitriol that it spills over into the rest of the internet as a constant reminder that no matter what happens, no matter how ridiculous the laws get or how infringing the ISPs become or how ludicrous Google's Rules of Acquisition are, you can still enjoy that anonymous freedom that only the internet ever had.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

  3. #103
    Junior Klavi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Klavi
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Bridge
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by mythil View Post
    But when they clash, guess who wins? .... trick question, it's the rest of the intertubes.
    Which includes us, hell yeah
    soundcloud.com/klavierr
    klavierr.tumblr.com

  4. #104
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by mythil View Post
    However, today it seems a lot of people are using it to mean "I don't like something and it makes me rage".. Well .. I'm sorry but suck it up. The world is full of a lot of things you aren't going to like and just trying to shut it out isn't going to help.

    Or maybe I just come from a time where you didn't just rage at people, you ignored it or did something about it.
    Where in any of your classes were you taught that this is an appropriate response to someone's PTSD

  5. #105
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    I keep reading this thread title as "Triggering as usual, I see," in a AoSTH Robotnik voice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Where in any of your classes were you taught that this is an appropriate response to someone's PTSD
    I don't think anyone's stated that it's an appropriate reaction to someone's legitimate PTSD.
    It's just annoying when people use "trigger" to describe "anything that I don't like for any reason."
    Even if that discomfort is mild at best.
    Resident Koopa Trash

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Where in any of your classes were you taught that this is an appropriate response to someone's PTSD
    I think you should read his post again, that's not what he said at all. The part you quoted was aimed at people who rage and/or "trigger" and don't have PTSD or similar diagnoses, as far as I've been reading.

    Goddammit Vae. :| Ninja'd me.

  7. #107
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I don't think anyone's stated that it's an appropriate reaction to someone's legitimate PTSD.
    It's just annoying when people use "trigger" to describe "anything that I don't like for any reason."
    Even if that discomfort is mild at best.
    But he has literally no way of knowing that unless he asks the person "are you legit diagnosed with PTSD"

    which is such a gross and inappropriate thing to ask people lmao

  8. #108
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    Last edited by Vae; 08-11-2014 at 03:23 AM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

  9. #109
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I've seen trigger warnings for chairs, silly Mii faces, and fruit.

    It's true that one cannot absolutely without a doubt determine that the "triggers" are not actually causes of great personal distress.
    But some of this stuff just stretches into "wtf, no" territory.
    As someone who has PTSD I can tell you that sometimes the mind latches onto strange parts of an experience. A person might be completely fine seeing men who look like their abuser, seeing handcuffs and seeing similar settings, but then might have a panic attack whenever they hear a faucet drip

    Personally I have triggers that I couldn't even think of the words for if I wanted to, but for the most part they've only been uncomfortable subjects and I've only had a few panic attacks because of them

    Triggers aren't always an obvious thing, is what I'm trying to say

    and even if it's not "this will give me a panic attack" levels of seriousness, is it really so bad to tag something? If a follower of mine said "hey I have a fear of candy, could you tag those pictures?" I'd do it anyway just because I don't want my blog to be an uncomfortable experience for my friends / followers

    (altho in regards to your "miis tagged with body horror" example, I'm 90% sure that person was probably tagging them that so they'd show up in the tag, not to hide them from people who might find them scary lmao)

  10. #110
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    As someone who has PTSD I can tell you that sometimes the mind latches onto strange parts of an experience. A person might be completely fine seeing men who look like their abuser, seeing handcuffs and seeing similar settings, but then might have a panic attack whenever they hear a faucet drip

    Personally I have triggers that I couldn't even think of the words for if I wanted to, but for the most part they've only been uncomfortable subjects and I've only had a few panic attacks because of them

    Triggers aren't always an obvious thing, is what I'm trying to say

    and even if it's not "this will give me a panic attack" levels of seriousness, is it really so bad to tag something? If a follower of mine said "hey I have a fear of candy, could you tag those pictures?" I'd do it anyway just because I don't want my blog to be an uncomfortable experience for my friends / followers

    (altho in regards to your "miis tagged with body horror" example, I'm 90% sure that person was probably tagging them that so they'd show up in the tag, not to hide them from people who might find them scary lmao)
    And as someone who has some issues with PTSD, and so much anxiety that I find it hard to function half of the time, I am painfully aware of this.

    But you can't expect everyone else to constantly take care of the problem.
    You can't expect people to think "The motion of breathing might trigger somebody, so I should tag this anime gif as 'breathing'."
    There is a point of where this stretches into personal accountability.

    Now, people SHOULD tag things like rape, gore, abuse, child exploitation, animal violence, and etc. That should be common sense.
    And I do like thorough tagging systems in general as a common courtesy move.
    But some of these more minor ideas should not be an expectation. Asking is one thing, but what the topic addresses is people throwing an unholy bitchfit about stuff like "HOW DARE YOU NOT TAG YOUR NARUTO! I'M TRIGGERED BY NARUTO!"
    And that's ridiculous.

    If I have a panic attack because of certain material (And I have before.), I will make it a point not to follow people who post that material, if they do not tag it.
    If someone wants to shove that material in my face (As in the case of friends or people talking to me privately / personally.), I will explain the problem and stop talking to them and clicking their links if they continue.
    But I do not hold random people accountable for my personal issues.
    It's not their responsibility.
    Resident Koopa Trash

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •