Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Mythil

"Triggering". As usual, Tumblr has it wrong.

Not really a furry thing but I found it on a furry tumblr so, just thought I would bring it up.

Before I go on, my background comes from a BA in Mental Health and Welfare, so that's there..

Anyway, I've found a lot of people are misusing the word "trigger" or "triggering".. Originally, the use of this word was meant for people who are recovering from an addiction or some sort of physical or emotional stress or abuse.

However, today it seems a lot of people are using it to mean "I don't like something and it makes me rage".. Well .. I'm sorry but suck it up. The world is full of a lot of things you aren't going to like and just trying to shut it out isn't going to help.

Or maybe I just come from a time where you didn't just rage at people, you ignored it or did something about it.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I've legit seen people add trigger warnings for things like "grapefruit mention", and "body horror" for silly Mii faces.
    I once saw someone claim that it was "triggering to people with mental health issues" for a Sailor Moon blog to describe the new outbreak in merchandise as "crazy."

I don't know if people actually believe their dumb bullshit, half the time, or if they're just pushing and trying to stretch the limits of how far they can be catered to by complete strangers.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Mythil
    One other thing I've noticed (thanks to tumblr.. god damn it)... If we keep adding letters to LGBT then we're going to have a re-arranged alphabet.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between "Heterosexual" and "Cisgender"... please?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by mythil View Post
    One other thing I've noticed (thanks to tumblr.. god damn it)... If we keep adding letters to LGBT then we're going to have a re-arranged alphabet.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between "Heterosexual" and "Cisgender"... please?
    gender and sexuality are not the same thing. "cis" refers to someone where their biological sex and gender assigned at birth matches that of their preferred gender. As in, I was born female, I have female parts, I consider myself female and have been treated as female since birth. Trans refers to someone that isn't cis. So they have a different gender from their biological sex, or are genderfluid, or whatever.

So you can have a cis woman that is homosexual, a transman can be heterosexual, etc.

--------------------------------------------------
    As for the topic, I have a distaste for that area of tumblr. In general "trigger warnings" took a good concept (attempting to warn people with physical and emotional reactions so they can prepare themselves) and turned it into a method to have people cater to them about things they don't like. It's a method to bully people into hiding away something they don't personally enjoy.

Weasyl
    Mythil
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    gender and sexuality are not the same thing. "cis" refers to someone where their biological sex and gender assigned at birth matches that of their preferred gender. As in, I was born female, I have female parts, I consider myself female and have been treated as female since birth. Trans refers to someone that isn't cis. So they have a different gender from their biological sex, or are genderfluid, or whatever.

So you can have a cis woman that is homosexual, a transman can be heterosexual, etc.

--------------------------------------------------
    As for the topic, I have a distaste for that area of tumblr. In general "trigger warnings" took a good concept (attempting to warn people with physical and emotional reactions so they can prepare themselves) and turned it into a method to have people cater to them about things they don't like. It's a method to bully people into hiding away something they don't personally enjoy.
    ... then there is no need for the whole "cis" thing. It just seems like it's invented terminology for people who want to feel special or for other people to distance themselves from others.. If that is the explanation, then all it's doing is creating another term for something that already exists.. Which is redundant.

Or am I wrong? It just seems that "cis lesbian" is just "I'm a lesbian".. Why have the cis thing at all?

On a side note, reminds me of the Pride Parade episode of Rick and Steve where the mayor of San-Fran spends half and hour listing every single "sexuality" and "gender" so as not to "offend people" or "homo-normalise" them.
    Last edited by mythil; 07-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    "I'm triggered when I'm reminded of violence!"

"Trigger warning: VIOLENCE."

"Oh, thanks for not reminding me. I'm okay, thank you for your special attention and consideration."

Weasyl
    Mythil
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    "I'm triggered when I'm reminded of violence!"

"Trigger warning: VIOLENCE."

"Oh, thanks for not reminding me. I'm okay, thank you for your special attention and consideration."
    Can't tell if sarcasm.. And who to

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by mythil View Post
    ... then there is no need for the whole "cis" thing. It just seems like it's invented terminology for people who want to feel special or for other people to distance themselves from others.. If that is the explanation, then all it's doing is creating another term for something that already exists.. Which is redundant.

Or am I wrong? It just seems that "cis lesbian" is just "I'm a lesbian".. Why have the cis thing at all?

On a side note, reminds me of the Pride Parade episode of Rick and Steve where the mayor of San-Fran spends half and hour listing every single "sexuality" and "gender" so as not to "offend people" or "homo-normalise" them.
    Because you can also have a trans lesbian. I'm not sure which term you think it is replacing. Gender =/= sexuality cis is a gender term, it has nothing to do with who you want to get in bed with.

"I am a cis lesbian" isn't "I am a lesbian" because there are cis women that are heterosexual. In the same way that "I am a transwoman" doesn't just mean "I am homosexual"

Cis comes from the discussion of trans folks, it's used as basically ~trans (read: not trans) because it's dehumanizing in such contexts to say "normal" or "average" or whatever. So cis is used to denote someone that prefers the gender they are biologically aligned with at birth.

We have different sexualities because...you know, gender =/= sexuality. Men can love men, or women, or both. Women can love women, or men, or both.

Weasyl
    Mythil
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Because you can also have a trans lesbian. I'm not sure which term you think it is replacing. Gender =/= sexuality cis is a gender term, it has nothing to do with who you want to get in bed with.

"I am a cis lesbian" isn't "I am a lesbian" because there are cis women that are heterosexual. In the same way that "I am a transwoman" doesn't just mean "I am homosexual"

Cis comes from the discussion of trans folks, it's used as basically ~trans (read: not trans) because it's dehumanizing in such contexts to say "normal" or "average" or whatever. So cis is used to denote someone that prefers the gender they are biologically aligned with at birth.

We have different sexualities because...you know, gender =/= sexuality. Men can love men, or women, or both. Women can love women, or men, or both.
    This might be because I'm old and all you new kids (that's a joke, not condescending) have lots of new terms for stuff. But that's just male/female.. Why cis?

Male homosexual
    Female Lesbian
    Male Bisexual
    Female Bisexual

I tend not to use trans as a gender..... anything. Why? Because when I was more in the LGB scene years ago, you didn't call someone trans, you called them what gender they identify as. So if someone identified as female then that is what you called them. So then, what's the cis for? It's just adding another layer of complication to something already defined and accepted.

This comes down to us older folk wondering what's going on now. We understood what genders people wanted to be and what sexualities people were.. Now there are layers upon layers of stuff that a lot of us don't see as necessary. Also, it seems like it was created to actually create squabbling and hate where there isn't any especially within communities that have been LGBT friendly by creating unneeded labels and then creating predigest where none was before.
    Last edited by mythil; 07-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.

This cis thing is just needless complexity.
    Good old lgbt worked fine.

Now we have cisl, cisg, cisb, cist, cistrifoxgenderlighterfuildsexuals, transnohomocisflambeausexuals and whatever the fuck people label themselves these days.

And triggers lmao.
    Apparently there's a site nowadays that has a movie database and associated trigger warnings.

I really wouldn't mind if this stuff stayed within tumblr, but that cesspool has leaky seams and is slowly flooding the entire internet and even real world.