Weasyl
    Raz

Question about avatars (both site and forums)

At the time of posting this I have no avatar, but I'm pondering using a design of my fursona that someone drew for me on a different site as my avatar for the site and forums.
    I'd put a link to the original submission which links to the artist in my profiles.
    But the thing is I'm a little worried it would look suspiciously like I'm stealing it or just pretending I'm the person it was drawn for, because I've changed quite a bit about myself since I was able to post it and say, "This is me!"
    I'm a little worried that the original artist or anyone really will see me using it with my new username, different email, heck different gender even and think that I'm stealing it.
    Do you think this could be an issue?

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    You're fine; you're not required to put a link to anything as far as an avatar/icon is concerned, although it's nice for the artist. That's for if it's art done by you or for you, which it is. If it wasn't, you could technically be violating a copyright (which in most cases, you'd just be asked to take the image down), but some would argue that avatars fall under the transformative nature of fair use laws. The latter doesn't apply to this situation though, so like I said you're fine.

Weasyl
    Raz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    You're fine; you're not required to put a link to anything as far as an avatar/icon is concerned, although it's nice for the artist. That's for if it's art done by you or for you, which it is. If it wasn't, you could technically be violating a copyright (which in most cases, you'd just be asked to take the image down), but some would argue that avatars fall under the transformative nature of fair use laws. The latter doesn't apply to this situation though, so like I said you're fine.
    Okee dokee, I'll use that avatar for now then and not worry too much about it.
    Thank you for the information!
    I will leave a link to the submission from my FA account that also has a link to the original artist in there in my profile information, at least because they're a nifty artist.