Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Let's [Paint]Chat!

Weasyl
    Tiger

Let's [Paint]Chat!

PaintChat is under maintenance
    Link: http://192.168.1.70/enterance_html/index.html

I know this is a long post, but you should only need to read it once. Please take the time to read it before joining, it will be easier for everyone that way.

SO. Fay has set up chat rooms on FAF before. I figured, why not start doing that here at Weasyl? But this won't be a normal chat room. This is going to be a PaintChat room.

A PaintChat is kind of like OpenCanvas. It allows people to have access to one large canvas and they can draw together! There's also a chat box feature if you'd prefer to sit back and chat rather than draw. The PaintChat program is called Shi-Painter, which is a type of oekaki applet. It's not as sophisticated and fancy as oC or SAI, but it does have neat tools, a simple interface, and fun effects you can add, like Mosaic, an Airbrush tool, different textures, and even a TON of cool fonts. It will probably be a little odd at first, but after some fooling around, it's easy to navigate.

The applet is a Java one, so if you are getting errors, update to the latest version of Java and try again. You may have to close your browser and re-open the chat for it to work. Also, for you tablet users, check out this Plugin for some more sensitivity.

There are four rules:

1) All Weasyl rules apply. What is prohibited on Weasyl is also prohibited in the PaintChat. And I'm taking it a step further- no nudity and keep swearing minimal. I personally have no issues with tasteful nudity, and I have no problem with swearing, generally. I say no nudity because there is a feature in PaintChat that when you go to the PaintChat, everything that has ever been drawn on it will quickly cycle through, and in the end it will end up the blank canvas. This means that any picture drawn, including nudity and offensive ones, will be seen and there is no way to avoid it. There may be users who are uncomfortable with nudity, and I feel it would be unfair to expose them to it. Again, I'm not trying to stunt creativity, but this is out of respect for other people.

2) Do not randomly scribble over someone's art. As everyone can draw anywhere, including over other peoples' pictures, out of respect I ask that you don't draw on someone else's pictures unless it is meant to be goofy or you ask the artist and they are fine with it. To be sure that people know you want to draw your own picture, create a box on the canvas and within that box is your own work. Please, do not scribble over art in a private box. Important: Never use the "erase" tool with the skull. That will wipe the entire canvas and make it blank. Everything will be gone. And there is no "undo" button. Only I can wipe the canvas and I will do it at the end of each session. An exception is if everyone agrees that a wipe is fine. Other than that, no touchy!

3)Use one color unique to you. In order to know who draws what, when you join the PaintChat choose a color to represent you. For example, I like to PaintChat in a green color. Therefore, don't draw in green or it gets way confusing. There will be a section for a color key so we can know which person is drawing in which color. If you are drawing a refined, more finished piece, like in rule #2, you can definitely use more colors. Exception: If everyone participating agrees, multiple colors are fine. Generally, though, it really dos work best if everyone sticks to one color.

4) Anyone is allowed to draw, regardless of art skill and regardless of what they like to draw. Anyone is welcome to use the chat box, even if they aren't an artist or don't want to draw. Don't belittle anyone or their art. PaintChat is just a way to chill with friends and do some drawing. Respect everyone's art and who they are.

And an FYI, although the Weasyl rules apply, you can't get infracted in these chats- this is run by me and I'm not part of the Weasyl staff, nor is this supposed to be part of the site. It's independent of the site itself. But that doesn't give you the right to be rude or (to be blunt) an ass. Respect, guys!

I don't know which rule to tack this onto, but here's a note- if you want to save your PaintChat pictures, you need to screenshot it and save the screenshot on your computer. To make a screenshot, press the "Prt Scr" (Print screen) button on your keyboard, then paste it into a program that can save it as a picture file. After the session is done, you won't be able to get your picture back. If you want to make a screenshot mid-session, save it, then erase your picture, feel free to do so. At the end of each session, there will be a warning and you will then be given time to save your picture before that chat is closed and canvas wiped. There are also three layers, you can take advantage of that and either draw on all three for more refined pictures, or draw on one layer so you can work and erase without affecting other people on different layers.

That's it, really. I am so sorry for the length, but again, you will probably only need to read this once. If you have any questions, post here and they will be answered. I'll bump up this thread whenever the PaintChat is open. Hope to see you all there!
    Last edited by Tiger; 09-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Erk. I'm actually getting an error when I click the link. :C

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Hmm, what's the error?

EDIT: try this link- http://192.168.1.70/

and click "Join the oekaki chat"
    Last edited by Tiger; 09-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Weasyl
    oly
    Aww no worky.

well I only have a mosue to draw with right now anyways so... meh. xP

I CLAIM DARK RED THOUGH. CALLED IT.

EDIT: oh i jsut noticed, you're giving us a 192 based IP which means it's pointing towards the local network! you need to find your public IP, check in your router and you should be able to find it, or google for an IP checker. also I think you might need to have the port at the end, like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:[port]

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Hmm, what's the error?

EDIT: try this link- http://192.168.1.70/

and click "Join the oekaki chat"
    It's just not loading a page at all and I'm getting a "can't connect/can't load" page. The IP you're using is a router IP anyway, I believe.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Grr, alright, I'ma play with different URLs and settings in the original .jar file.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasune View Post
    It's just not loading a page at all and I'm getting a "can't connect/can't load" page. The IP you're using is a router IP anyway, I believe.
    That might be it. I'll change it in the file.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    It won't work here either, which is something I don't like because godammit the concept sounds fun as fuck D=

Tiggy fix it ._.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    It won't work here either, which is something I don't like because godammit the concept sounds fun as fuck D=

Tiggy fix it ._.
    I'ma tryin, the directions are in broken japanese so I'm referring to an english diagram of it.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I'ma tryin, the directions are in broken japanese so I'm referring to an english diagram of it.
    These are not only in Japanese, but BROKEN Japanese? Talk about tough luck xD

We can only draw in one color? Boring.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."