Weasyl
    Raz

Why hello there!

Greetings!
    My name is Raz, and it's nice to meet you!
    I was referred here by another member, but I never got their username sadly. (Was referred on a different site.)
    Anyways, what they said about this place sounded pretty appealing, so here I am!

I'm already impressed by the organization, makes things a lot easier for me!
    Is there a way to search for the most popular submissions though?
    A specific tag or way to look at submissions based on number of favorites I mean?

Anyways, I'm from Arkansas, I'm a furry as many of you seem to be as well, and I plan to write and type up stories for the most part, though once I get me some money I'd love to commission some fursona art at least so I can have a decent avatar.
    My empty portrait is sad!

Let's see, what else....I like anime, though I wouldn't consider myself a huge anime fan since I don't watch a lot of it.
    Same reason I'm not really a gamer any more at this point even though I still like video games quite a bit. (New consoles are expensive, people!!!)

And that's that for now.
    Take care!

Sanity Is For The Weak Accellerant's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Accellerant
    Hello there Raz, welcome to the Weasyl forums. Where 42.9% of the power being supplied to the site is generated by sentient tofu.

Sorry that I'm late, ate a few too many donuts on the way here. The layout is indeed very inviting compared to other sites, it's straight to the point and strays away from a sense of being overwhelmed with content . I know that you originally didn't have a portrait when ya posted, but the current one you have is quite lovely if I do say so myself

Query: What originally got you interested in the anthro/furry fandom and what do you feel is your passion?

Oh lawdy, I almost forgot about your question about searching for popular submissions. As of right now, you cannot search for the most popular submissions on Weasyl.

Based on this thread which brings up adding a "Search By Popularity" option, there's quite a collection of users whom are against adding such a feature. However, Rory posted the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I don't believe that having more options is ever inherently a bad thing, but I would absolutely not making sorting by popularity the default if it were to be added. As a community at Weasyl, we have to ask ourselves what are we striving for, and how do we meet the needs of the most users at once? Many of us are struggling artists, musicians, and authors, just hoping for some stray views when we upload and trying our best to advertise ourselves simply so we can improve our craft. Others wish to use the website for income through commissions, and their popularity would only help them achieve that end. Then you have people who simply wish to consume what is produced. For better or worse, a balance needs to be established.

Whether a sort by popularity is positive or negative to the community as a whole, people will fall into their habits one way or another. I would not use it if implemented, but again, given certain modifying parameters, I think it could have its place.
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head on the subject. Of course, that doesn't mean the Weasyl crew has abandoned the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    A trending artist search could be nice if it weighted current popularity against historical popularity so that it favored less-known artists that recently uploaded something really nice.
    That could be a neat idea. Dunno what would go into the algorithm, let alone how it could potentially be abused, but that's certainly something worth trying to substantiate. Not sure we'd be close to implementing that kind of thing in the near future though.
    So who knows what the future shall bring. The site's still new (to me anyway ) and there's always room for improvement! But if I had to add my own words on the whole "Popular search" debate, I'd have to agree with not having it added to the site. From my intuition, this gives everyone an equal berth of exposure on the site as they continue to contribute to the community. Besides, if users wish to become known or acquire commissions on Weasyl, they need learn how to expose themselves and connect to the community. It's a vital skill not only here, but for other sites and especially for finding a job.

Oh gods, this turned out much bigger than I thought! Sorry for adding such a chunk of content to your welcome post, I wasn't expecting it to get so big!

I hope you enjoy your stay here, catch ya next time Raz!
    Last edited by Accellerant; 08-01-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Because I needed to be driven closer to correctly correct this post

Weasyl
    Raz
    Thanks for the reply and the useful information!

This current avatar is from when I was on Fur Affinity, though I still want to get a commission sometime because my fursona has changed a lot since this.
    It's still cute as heck and I love it, but it's obviously a feminine avatar and I've been jumping on the ambiguous train in terms of gender lately, so I'm wanting a fursona to reflect that.
    Someone has already told me they'd like to sketch it, but I've been busy and haven't replied to them so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done it because of my lack of a response! D: (I shall pm them in a moment to tell them I'm still interested!)

And it's the creativity that comes with fursonas and different anthro based characters in general that got me involved with the furry fandom.
    I mean, when you make a human character that's already pretty awesome, but when you make an anthropomorphic one there are so many creative ways to go about it!

Also, I'm not really sure if I'll write/type stories like I said I would.
    I'm thinking I'll mostly use the site for looking at art, paying people for art, and possibly putting up some journal entries as a stress relief thing.