Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad words.

Weasyl
    hareteeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrijos_sama View Post
    Personally, I want to see "Neurodiverse" take on a negative connotation as society at large adopts "neurotypical" as a self-identifier rather than as an insult used in the in-crowd of autism support forums, and indigo child/New Age asshats as an insult for usage against normal people.
    Well, actually, neurotypical is the self-identifier for the people you're talking about: folks who fall in that fat centre of the neurological bell curve (thus, typical). It's not insulting, it's a neutral term. (But people often get insulted when they are no longer treated as the baseline, even if it's not at all insulting, see the history of any civil rights movement, the parties in dominate power get angry at equitable distribution of power, because suddenly it's "unfair" for everyone to have that power, but it was fair when they had all the power and were ignorant of others' inequality.)
    Likewise a lot of these sub-curse-words are, really, just neutral descriptors. The insulting connotation comes from people who directly think less of those who would use those terms as self-descriptors; or are encultured to think less of them (despite actually thinking the contrary, e.g. all the gay and bi men I know who will use anti-gay slurs when angry, or call things they find worthless or pointless "gay"...without any of the self-hating BS in hand, mind, and sometimes with just the faintest trace of irony. It took me years to stop saying c*cksucker [am i violating the pg-13 rule?] in a negative way.)

Which I think another person talked about, too, you can say "youre acting like a retard" to someone else, but still be totally compassionate to people who are actually mentally different than most folks....none of the kids in my HS were ever mean to the disabled kids, but calling people retarded was often par for the course (and no one would have examined their use of words like idiot, lame, stupid, or dumb...which can be pretty charged if that's what you hear you are, literally, in capacity, every day of your life.)
    In before "they're taking all our words!!", because, haha, there really are a lot more cutting ways you can talk down to someone.

Weasyl
    Daisy La Liebre
    Just an interesting tidbit; mental retardation is still the official diagnostic term for a learning disability in the ICD, although this is up for review.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I found out the other day that the reddit automoderator includes "neckbeard" on its list of racial slurs.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

I'm honestly surprised reddit isn't officially supported by the ADL at this point.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    irick
    The concept of socially forbidden words is laughable. That we would willingly nuder our ability to express our mind is frightening.

Words don't mater. I agree that it is the intent that matters.

I can also see the other side of the argument though. The enforcement of a societal correlation between the negative use of a word and the group of people the word is tied to can be a problem. e.g. if I use the word "retarded" in a negative context, it may reinforce a negative correlation with anything that the moniker relates to. However, I reject this logic.

The way that language evolves is organic. The social taboos that we have over the use of any sort of language is a form of censorship. Now, this also means that _not_ expressing your discomfort with a word is also a form of censorship, but I feel that the expression of discomfort can be done civilly.

Respect is the core tenet of any civil interaction. If you are uncomfortable with a word, and communicate it to me in a respectful way, I will usually take this into account. However, the expectation that a word will not use because it's 'bad' is a horribly debilitating prospect. To ask me to restrict my mind is to ask me to willingly forsake a part of myself. Why?

In the end, I feel that political correctness in language is a huge hurdle to the communication of ideas. The varried opinions and language that we may find offensive exists. It represents mindsets that are not our own. If we are to continue to push forward our culture, we must learn to be able to use the whole of our tools with respect and well meaning.

The malicious use of beautiful phrases makes them no less malicious. The honest use of vulgar language makes it no less honest.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    You make one word unacceptable and people are gonna invent a new word to say the same thing. You are never gonna take away humanities right to be a douchebag, no matter how much you want to Harrison Bergeron the world.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazenBull View Post
    You make one word unacceptable and people are gonna invent a new word to say the same thing. You are never gonna take away humanities right to be a douchebag, no matter how much you want to Harrison Bergeron the world.
    This.
    Look at the word "faggot"
    Faggot meant a bundle of sticks/twigs. Now it's a negative term for a homosexual.
    Shit, even the word "gay" has become a negative term for homosexuality. "That's so gay"
    Even "homo" is used negatively.

Even if you were to say "no more saying faggot or 'that's so gay'", people will find a new word to use.

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    [QUOTE=Gamedog;67977]This.
    Look at the word "faggot"
    Faggot meant a bundle of sticks/twigs. Now it's a negative term for a homosexual.
    Shit, even the word "gay" has become a negative term for homosexuality. "That's so gay"
    Even "homo" is used negatively.

Yeah, even "faggot" is going through a change. It's going from a slur for homosexuals to a term you call someone that's behaving in a manner you find insufferable.
    Even if you were to say "no more saying faggot or 'that's so gay'", people will find a new word to use.

I remember years ago my grandma saying something to this effect.
    "Gay? That's such a beautiful word. Always meant being more than happy. How did that word end up meaning this?"

I completely agree with everyone who has stated to the effect 'we'll use another word for it'. We all have a need to describe and understand the descriptions given to us. As soon as a word is chosen to replace the one that's 'bad it will be 'bad' as well. Political correctness is a never ending toilet to any language cursed with it.

I personally hate the phrase 'African American'. No one ever calls me Italian American. Or my xwife German American. Nor do I call my co worker a French American. I have mistakenly called a Chinese co worker Japanese. I apologized and told him it was ok if he called me a Greek. It's kind of the same thing. We're right across the water from each other.

I identify as Italian American because doing so grants me certain privileges, such as the ability to claim pizza, water ice, soft pretzels, and Wawa as part of my cultural heritage.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD