Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thank you, Weasyl, for taking this seriously, and for being willing to incorporate more inclusive language into the Ratings Guidelines. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but a little goodwill goes a long way.

I doubt this decision to slightly reword one subclause of one portion of the site's TOS will result in a flowersexual apocalypse, but I almost hope so now, since that would be kinda cool.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Now Weasyl is called transphobic all over again because it is non-inclusive to the Flower Folks of Asgardia.
    I don't think this will happen, and if it does we'll deal with it the same we approached today's situation. It wasn't a matter of caving to demands, we genuinely thought we could do a better job of wording things to appeal to a broader audience, and we achieved that. Will we realistically be able to include everything that everyone will ever want? Absolutely not. Will we try our best to listen and reconsider if we could do something better? Absolutely. We'll take each issue as it comes, hopefully as a community that's willing to discuss and not throw accusatory terms around. I personally did not appreciate much of the vitriol and -phobic namecalling that came toward our staff today including myself, and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again, but as staff we're able to separate personal feelings from our work.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I suppose in the end, over-complicating basic terms that weren't even intended to offend or present views of phobia/malice towards a specific lifestyle was well worth it to meet the needs of the handful of Sally Sensitives that were pounding on your front door demanding bloodshed.

I believe some form of layman's terms are in order for people who don't speak rediculously over-the-top PC.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Really, what's the argument for not making the rules as specific and unambiguous as possible, other than wanting to stick it to people that feel it's important to them? Did y'all want to have arguments about "oh these aren't female breasts they're futanari breasts so they're okay for General" and such?
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I don't think this will happen, and if it does we'll deal with it the same we approached today's situation. It wasn't a matter of caving to demands, we genuinely thought we could do a better job of wording things to appeal to a broader audience, and we achieved that. Will we realistically be able to include everything that everyone will ever want? Absolutely not. Will we try our best to listen and reconsider if we could do something better? Absolutely. We'll take each issue as it comes, hopefully as a community that's willing to discuss and not throw accusatory terms around. I personally did not appreciate much of the vitriol and -phobic namecalling that came toward our staff today including myself, and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again, but as staff we're able to separate personal feelings from our work.
    I was mostly being facetious, but also slightly serious because there are people who get extremely pissed off if you don't reply to them as "flowerself". They'll call you transphobic if you don't, I've encountered them personally because I accidentally called them "they". I appreciate that Weasyl wants to make all of it's userbase comfortable with terminology used on the site, but it's important to remember that it's literally impossible to make everybody comfortable and there's always the chance that the staff will get called -phobic again.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I was mostly being facetious, but also slightly serious because there are people who get extremely pissed off if you don't reply to them as "flowerself". They'll call you transphobic if you don't, I've encountered them personally because I accidentally called them "they". I appreciate that Weasyl wants to make all of it's userbase comfortable with terminology used on the site, but it's important to remember that it's literally impossible to make everybody comfortable and there's always the chance that the staff will get called -phobic again.
    That's true, and that's something we are prepared for. In terms of what happened where I know I was not personally happy with some of the tones taken and rhetoric on both sides of the issue, I think there were people that behaved poorly, but there were also people that brought up good points and offered thoughtful solutions. In this case it worked out that we found something that worked to help the majority of people.

In the future something will come up, that's life, and it's not the insults, the bad behave we respond to, it's underlying arguments and reasons, which if we can account for effectively there's no reason not to. If it's not something we can easily fix and someone wants to call us names over that then...there's not a lot that can be done in that regard.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I feel like, all in all, Weasyl staff took the high road and did what could be considered most mature in the extremely immature argument and situation being thrust on them. Instead of digging their feet in, they jumped to the side and let the flak-givers face plant in the dirt.

All I'm saying is when people remember the incident, they're going to remember how Staff acted versus Users, and I can guarantee that the effort put forth by staff will pay off in the long run as a whole for the whole website.

Even if it feels like biting the bullet, it better to remembered as compromising than stubborn---no matter how right anyone is or isn't.

Weasyl
    SpottyJaguar
    A bit belated, but I wanted to say thanks for getting this taken care of so swiftly! To those who aren't complaining, it means a ton, and I for one appreciate it quite a lot.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I'm overall disappointed in how this was handled and people arguing about it. But I suppose if people have to overhandle situations and make it a game of political minesweeper it just takes away what I originally came here for, which is sharing art.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog
    but it's important to remember that it's literally impossible to make everybody comfortable
    As evidenced by this thread now...

I guess what's intriguing to me is that when we decided to change the language after receiving numerous very vocal complaints, it appears now to be the case that most of the new complaints are coming about not because of the actual changes made, but because we decided to take vocal complaints into account in the first place.
    This is a position I don't entirely understand, and I can only imagine it stems from a lack of trust that we as staff are able to make changes objectively, without being bullied into certain decisions. But in cases like this, where there is a very vocal set of people who call for a change in a less-than-civil way, and where another set of people very vocally oppose the first set, you run into a Catch-22 where no matter what course of action you take, one side or the other is going to say you're kowtowing to the other side. So yes, in the end we just have to look at the matter as objectively as possible and try to find a decent solution (in this case, using more neutral language, which incidentally may also have the practical benefit of being more difficult to misinterpret). I know saying that won't immediately disabuse everyone of the notion that we were bullied into this decision, but I thought I'd say it anyway.