Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "Thanks for the watch"

Weasyl
    Recel
    It's a fun thing, because there are people get upset if you write it to them, and there are people get upset if you don't write it to them. The only thing both groups have in common that non of them will say it to your face directly.

Thankfully the majority either doesn't care about it, or see it as it is. A common, minimal effort to acknowledge that you watched them.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Thank you for your post.

---

There's a huge difference between "Hey, how are you" and "Thank you for your watch"

One can lead to a conversation if you wish to continue it.

Another contributes to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's the same as "cool". When I see it in my stuffs lately, I don't even know what to say back. And to make it worse, some of them get mad when you do not reply to their random comments.

"Thank you for your watch/fav" goes under the same category as "If you don't really have anything to say, it doesn't hurt to just stay quiet" and "Automated messages". I won't be surprise if someone actually makes a bot script for it.
    Not necessarily. I've had a couple of people respond to my thanks warmly and some conversation has come from it. To say it contributes absolutely nothing is a bit extreme. To you it may seem like nothing. To others it does mean something when someone does take the couple of seconds to acknowledge someone for following them. I think it contributes to a welcoming community of artists who take the two seconds to acknowledge someone following them.

And I don't know. I tend to get more upset over things that actually matter in my day to day life honestly. Is my train to work running late? Did the guy manning my position at work leave everything as it should be during his shift? Did someone finish off the milk/eggs/bread and not replace it? You know, practical things. Whether or not someone decides to respond in a courteous fashion to a follow is just something I can't bring myself to get that worked up about.

By the way you're all welcome and I hope you continue to enjoy Weasyl.
    Last edited by Term; 06-15-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    On one hand, who's to say an artist can't be genuinely thankful for every watch?

On the other hand, some profiles have large banner text dedicated to the mantra of DO NOT THANK ME FOR WATCHES.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Recel View Post
    It's a fun thing, because there are people get upset if you write it to them, and there are people get upset if you don't write it to them. The only thing both groups have in common that non of them will say it to your face directly.

Thankfully the majority either doesn't care about it, or see it as it is. A common, minimal effort to acknowledge that you watched them.
    It's a flip of a coin really. That's why when someone watches me, I tell them to go fuck themselves with a hose while having a can of yoohoo shoved down their throat by a very angry and disgruntled zombie Abraham Lincoln.

That way they have a reason to be upset.
    Last edited by Toshabi; 06-15-2014 at 03:33 AM.

I originally thought of it as a nice thing to do, but then people started to thank me, and well it just fills my inbox with all these shouts and it drowns away message that are actually worth reading.
    Once someone paid a really nice compliment to me, and I didn't see it because that same week I had received a whole bunch of "thanks for the..." comments. I didn't see it until a much later time after I had deleted all the other comments. At that point I stopped doing it because people doing it to me annoyed me.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    I'm someone who thanks for watches (and I am truly thankful) though I try to personalize it a bit an not sound like I'm just copy pasting it.

I don't thank people for favorites though, that feels very spammy.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I don't even have that much watches to begin with. These messages began to mean nothing to me after the 50th or somethign watch because they absolutely gutted the feeling I used to have when I get a +1 to the letter C or "Comments" tab. If you were really grateful, then do it the grateful way. Spamming the inbox only annoys them.

What can you do as an artist to thank your watchers? I dunno, draw them a "Thank you for all the watches!" Submission when you hit a certain mark, maybe? After all, people watched you for your arts (or bot spam), because you go around saying "Thank you" to all the "cool!" comments and flooding inbox with "thanks for the watch!"

Dunno about writers but they can probably come up with something else instead if they're creative to begin with.

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    I don't bother thanking each and every one for watching me anymore, I just have a "thanks for everyone who watches" on my profile.
    I just think its a bit spamming. But I do respond to people who thank me with a nice comment sometimes.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I. Can't. Stand. It.
    Personally, I consider it spam; that's why I blocked off my comments on my profile, I knew that it would eventually happen.
    I definitely appreciate that someone takes time out of their day to go and respond to each and every one of their watchers, but to be honest I don't find it necessary. I don't go and "thanks for the watch!" spam an automated voicemail message when someone watches me, just in case they too find it irritating.
    Not only that, but I think sometimes it can look "rude" if you delete it from your shouts, and I want to avoid that situation altogether.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I love to receive those messages. The more the merrier, especially if there's some extra substance to it.
    I normally loave such messages when there's hope for a response, and normally there's tiny bit exta to the thänk you such as a greeting and some comment about their gallery.
    I normally watch after a favspam... see someone, peek in their gallery, fav all I like, perhaps comment on some if I got extra time, and a watch in the end, sometimes with a message sometimes no message, all depends on if the artist is the type that answers those things or not. Many don't seem to...