Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "Thanks for the watch"

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    I used to return watches for anyone who watched me, but I recently cut that habit... it draws an awful lot of "thanks for" posts. In the past, I've added a "thanks for watching me" message in my profile

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    It seems kind of pointless after an artist becomes sufficiently 'big.' I wouldn't expect someone who has 2,000 + watchers to reply to each one.

I think it's a savvy practice for up-and-coming artists though. It helps to spread their image around and leave a good impression.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I am kind of split down the middle on this one. I also have a tendency to do this, but a lot of times I do feel very disingenuous when I do it. I figured it was common courtesy, and I don't really mind it when it happens to me, but eh... I guess it would be nice if those comments led to an actual conversation every once in a while. I love interacting with folks on this site. I'm gonna keep thanking people for watches, but only if I make it personal and phrase it in such a way that it could actually start a convo.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    A good middle-of-the-road way of approaching it would probably be including some message of thanks to all your watchers someplace in your front page profile and then not doing thanks shouts.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

If I can I'll say something about their work, I usually do take a gander. I don't like living just a 'thx for watch' message.

As for receiving ... its better then having your page raided by an angry idiot so I'll take that over actual real spam.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I don't hate them, but I don't feel anything particularly positive towards them, either.
    And I don't thank people for watches.

As far as I see it, they liked my stuff enough to want to watch what I do, to begin with. They're taking an action for themselves. It's not just a charity being held for me, even though I do benefit from it by possible exposure and / or feedback.
    Same when I watch someone. I don't expect them to come and throw courtesies at me, because I decided that I wanted to keep up with their work, on my own. I decided that their stuff entertains me. I'm benefiting from this action, myself.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I guess it depends. If it was personal/common courtesy I could get a note from someone thanking me for the watch which comes off more courteous. What has happened is that people use it as a way to gain more visibility. Say it on someone's page publicly, curious people will go see who this person is.

I think in the instance of thanking someone for the watch can have other backlashes, that people just simply don't need a public spectacle. I mean if a fast food company thanks me for their business, it's right at the store and on a receipt. Thanking someone for the watch is like that establishment coming at my door and saying "hey thanks for coming by" It becomes disruptive.

Is it a big deal in the end? It depends on how people like keeping their pages. It can look like noise/or people putting flyers. But on the other hand you may appreciate all the fans you have that feel you are worth watching.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I thank people for following my account, unless I see some reason not to. I look around their gallery first, of course, so I can give some of their submissions some pageviews and then add a little bit of a personalized touch to the message (assuming there's anything there to comment on). Honestly, most people either respond positively or just don't respond at all. It's just a little acknowledgement on my part that I'm happy they took a look around my gallery. I suppose I didn't realize quite how offensive that kind of thing was to some people.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    "Thanks for the watch" is a fucking obnoxious message, and I'm inclined to believe that most people that leave them are just wanting to spread around that "hey, people watch my art" so that anyone else skulking around your page will see and go watch them too.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    people that leave them are just wanting to spread around that "hey, people watch my art" so that anyone else skulking around your page will see and go watch them too.
    This is exactly how I find new people to watch, lol, so it does work.