Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "Thanks for the watch"

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Fayv

"Thanks for the watch"

follow, subscribe, artstalk, whatever it's called on whatever website. It seems to be a pretty standard practice for users when someone has watched/followed their page they go to the users page to write a simple "Thanks for the watch/follow". Generally it's the same generic message, a matter of repetition with no specific content to that user. It's not "Thanks for the watch, hey your cat character is cute" or "thanks for the follow, I really love your landscapes just "thanks for the watch". Heck some people their shouts are just iterations of that same message over and over.

I used to take the time to thank every watcher I got, but recently I've slacked off on it.

It's not that I no longer appreciate the sentiment, excluding perhaps my first 30 watches, it's been about the same level of happiness and joy at the thought that someone gives a damn enough to watch my profile, but I just feel weird sending such an automated message to a person. It feels disingenuous even if I do mean it and do appreciate the effort each time.

So I am curious Weasylites and FAsons hw do you feel about "thanks for the watch/follow" messages? do you think users should do it or is it okay to just not send those messages?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Mm, well we kinda broached the subject in this thread: https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...-Spamming-quot

I generally consider such a message as spam and remove it unless it shows some modicum of being personal. When I choose to thank a watcher on rare occasion, I'll personalize it to whatever made them stand out. I appreciate the watches, but I'm more appreciative of people who actively engage with me. My gratitude is shown through being friendly and engaging when people do so.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I don't bother. Because watching Toshabi is an award unto itself, kekekekekekekekekeke.

But seriously, "Thanks for the watch" kind of comes off as rude to me. It's like "Generic message I have to say because you did me a favor by watching me and I don't wanna personalize it because you're just a statistic and yeah thanks for being a number for my ratings". It's pointless to say.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I absolutely love "thanks for the watch" as much as automated responses from games company support team.

As in, completely meaningless and very annoying.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I don't really watch anyone, so nobody ever does it to me. As for when somebody watches me, I don't actually do that - but that's sort of because I'm way inactive on anything but forums and too lazy to do stuff on mainsites.

I'm going to agree with Toshabi and say that I see it as sort of rude and pointless though. xP

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Yago ranted at me about this for some ten minutes just the other week. XD

I myself don't usually reply to watches but don't give a fuck if they do. "Let them have their warm fuzzy feelings and just be glad they're not being assholes."

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Term
    I always thank people for watching me, because honestly I view it as common courtesy. Whether they're following me because I'm an admin or because they genuinely like my writing, I'm going to thank them for taking the time to make me part of their Weasyl experience.

Honestly I find getting annoyed over those kinds of messages the same as getting annoyed when someone says "hey how are you?" when they see you. No they don't likely care how you are but they're being courteous as I see it.

Now I also don't see not thanking someone rude, but it's a bit silly to view someone thanking you for a watch as rude.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    I always thank people for watching me, because honestly I view it as common courtesy. Whether they're following me because I'm an admin or because they genuinely like my writing, I'm going to thank them for taking the time to make me part of their Weasyl experience.

Honestly I find getting annoyed over those kinds of messages the same as getting annoyed when someone says "hey how are you?" when they see you. No they don't likely care how you are but they're being courteous as I see it.

Now I also don't see not thanking someone rude, but it's a bit silly to view someone thanking you for a watch as rude.

Thanks for responding to this thread.

Case in point.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Thanks Term!

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post

Thank you for your post.

---

There's a huge difference between "Hey, how are you" and "Thank you for your watch"

One can lead to a conversation if you wish to continue it.

Another contributes to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's the same as "cool". When I see it in my stuffs lately, I don't even know what to say back. And to make it worse, some of them get mad when you do not reply to their random comments.

"Thank you for your watch/fav" goes under the same category as "If you don't really have anything to say, it doesn't hurt to just stay quiet" and "Automated messages". I won't be surprise if someone actually makes a bot script for it.
    Last edited by Zeitzbach; 06-15-2014 at 02:04 AM.