Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Tranite

Anyone else play Table Top RPGs?

Hey, just looking for other people who do; I don't mind any of them but I would like to learn about some new ones and perhaps give them a try. o: I personally have played only a few variants of them, mostly D&D 3.5e. Surely other people here have played other tabletops though, and i'd really like to break out of the comfort zone and try some out. :D Anyone have any to talk about? ^_^

Weasyl
    N/A
    Man I have the rulebooks for 3.5 but I never played D&D once in my life.

Weasyl
    Dreamline
    The only one that I've gotten to play so far is Pathfinder, and I didn't even start that long ago (About two months ago). I also got to start a little of Hunter: The Awakening last week as well.

That's been a lot of fun, especially recently now that I'm playing under a DM whose been DMing for a looooong time. Right now we're doing a campaign that's basically a never-ending dungeon-crawler (when we're not dicking around in the woods outside of it anyways), and despite what it sounds like, there's still enough RP to go around, especially outside of the dungeon itself.

Hunter's been pretty crazy too. I only got to play in one game (and even then, I didn't get to do much, since my character was getting introduced), but it's been a wild ride! And again, our DM for this game does an amazing job keeping the game and RPing going!
    "There are times when all the world's asleep,
    The questions run too deep
    For such a simple man.
    Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
    I know it sounds absurd
    But please tell me who I am."

Supertramp - The Logical Song

Weasyl
    Tranite
    Gibby, you really should watch some people play it; It can be very funny if the group has a sense of humor, or very dramatic if they have an enjoyment of roleplaying. :o Combat-oriented, I will suggest 4e, but not if you want something else; I've never heard of 4e having anything but that. :/

Dream, I would love to test out pathfinder, but I've difficulty finding a DM, even by online tabletop areas, I've never been very good at finding the things I want to find. :P Oh well, I'll continue searching. :D As for Hunter: The Awakening? That's a new one, I'll have to have to look it up and get some information on it; especially if it's as fun as you've just made it sound. x3

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I guess you could say I'm DnD curious. I'm down to play but I never have tried as of yet. Can you recommend an RPG that's a bit more free form, not so heavy on tedious dice rolls and arguing over rules and whatnot?
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Huge tabletop RPG veteran here. I have played so many different RPGs that I won't bother listing them all off right now. Tranite if you like DnD 3.5 you will probably love Pathfinder. It is basically a more streamlined version of 3.5 with better classes and less outright cheesy effects. Not to say its perfect but is generally just a vast improvement over 3.5. If you are willing to step further away from DnD I am partial towards the New World of Darkness system. Any of the settings for that are pretty good and you can probably find at least one you are interested in.

Matt Conner if you are looking for something more light on rules in my experience that depends more on the tendencies of the group rather then the system itself. I have seen some DMs run DnD and they ask for rolls constantly and the group would break out into rules arguments at the drop of the hat. On the other hand I have seen different groups take the same version of DnD and rolls were called for rarely and no one was bothered if the rules were bent in order to make play go more smoothly.

As for people having difficulty finding groups here is the advice I can give. First off if there happens to be a college near by check to see if they have a Tabletop Roleplaying group. Most such groups are willing to accept new players. The other place to check would be your friendly local gaming store. See if there people who go there to discuss DnD or other RPGs and ask to see if they would be willing to accept a new player. If neither of those pan out and you are willing to communicate through text or over Skype you can try finding games that are running over the internet. I have a friend who enjoys doing a lot of Tabletop RPGs over the internet and I could get some decent site recommendations from him if you want.

Weasyl
    Naruto Uzumaki
    I've been playing Pathfinder and a sort of homebrew based off the BESM system for the better part of a year and a half now - enjoying every minute of it as well! I've been called in to DM some in the past and have another one I'm planning on DMing for sometime in the future as well.

It's a really great hobby to get into, and I've met some of my greatest friends in life through it.

System wise, Pathfinder is really rule heavy, but fun. Currently playing through book one of Rise of the Runelords with my Friday group, though we're on hiatus for the summer. Party consists of a horse obsessed Paladin that has never Smited anything (even though we've run into a hellacious amount of evil/demonic creatures and enemies), a ranger who pooped his pants during our first boss fight and has yet to live it down though he is a god in battle, a druid who can taste colors and see literally anything she wants(her perception is batty high), a fighter (me) who has been known to literally toss herself into a room without thinking and then proceed to take nil in damage because she's basically invincible because of her setup, and a cleric that has nearly killed the party on multiple occasions, forged adamantite armor for his pet rabbit, and tosses soap at people because of his germaphobia-the soap has KO'd party members and he now has a home brewed spell to heal people with it to avoid PvP in the future. We had a dwarven monk who died who was renown for having mooned the entirety of Sandpoint during a race with the cleric to buy out the entire town's soap supply.

BESM party consists of a sassy murderous dullahan wielding a death scythe, a 1" tall monkey demon mafia lord, a communistic warrior who has been known to go into berserker rages and KO party members, a Zora with dead parents and self esteem issues that can't breathe underwater, a catgirl who ended up being a maid for an ancient black dragon (that was at least colossal in size if not larger and god knows how old), a drug addicted teifling that was turned into a sex slave and who eventually vaporised someone with her fists (her rolls are legendary), and a sniper chick with insane hair and the ability to smith anything out of anything.

Honestly, I think any system can work great as long as you can get together a group of people who can have fun with it and get along. Just as long as everyone puts the effort in you can have fun with near any rule set. BESM is my go-to though, simply because it's easy to mod/house rule to get what you need out of it.

Weasyl
    Tranite
    Okay, I think my mind has had time to calm down after thinking about Naruto's Pathfinder party. Anywho, I agree with Naruto that any system can work to the players if the DM is willing to play in the desired method. Unfortunately, there are some things to do with roleplay that cannot simply be roleplayed through without a dice roll, such as specific information checks; but a lot of it can go hand-in-hand with roleplaying quite easily. As mentioned previously, It all depends on the group more than the actual system.
    Unfortunately, I don't think I can say much about different systems as I'd say the only one I really know is the standard D20 system which is the default for most people to my understanding.

Anywho, as of late I've been getting more and more eager to do another tabletop with a new group to the one I've currently got (They're always busy with something or another. T-T), anyone here willing to join a group and we'll figure out the method for how said group will use a table at a later date? :P

I used to play a homebrew of DnD based on Advanced DnD. All of our books and such were so ancient! But it was a great time and now I miss it.
    "The clouds above us join and separate,
    The breeze in the courtyard leaves and returns.
    Life is like that, so why not relax?
    Who can stop us from celebrating?"

Weasyl Shop FB

Weasyl
    Dreamline
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranite View Post
    Anywho, as of late I've been getting more and more eager to do another tabletop with a new group to the one I've currently got (They're always busy with something or another. T-T), anyone here willing to join a group and we'll figure out the method for how said group will use a table at a later date?
    I wanna sign up! The only things really needed would be a schedule, DM, and a program to use. I don't know much about tabletop programs for the computer, nor do I know how to DM unfortunately. :<
    "There are times when all the world's asleep,
    The questions run too deep
    For such a simple man.
    Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
    I know it sounds absurd
    But please tell me who I am."

Supertramp - The Logical Song