Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Barely a furry

Well, I've definitely heard some good replies and points about what "being a furry" actually means. It got off on a tangent a little, but that's normal.

Perhaps the fandom is so inclusive that it ironically makes it harder to relate to. In a group of so many different people one cannot expect to feel at one with others for having similarities. The easiest way to fit in is to accept each other for having differences.

This must be the "we're all so different, we accept everybody" I hear everybody praising. It is, I believe, a noble aim to be all-accepting to those who are different; such is the epitome of open-mindedness. The drama comes from anyone still holding onto personal limitations, like not accepting certain fetishes. But if a club is going to be all-accepting than it must endure all ends of every spectrum.

Rory gave a good point that people who only mildly dabble in furry interest aren't going to be online, especially in furry sites. In order to find my niche I'm going to have to change strategies.

And others made good points about my FA page. What can I say? Money talks.

I guess I am pretty furry after all. Although I approve of the all-acceptance of the fandom, I personally prefer not to be largely involved… except where commissions are involved. Local fur meets and online communities are out; maybe I'll start a second thread to expand on people's informal encounters and ways of meeting up.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Animancer View Post
    This must be the "we're all so different, we accept everybody" I hear everybody praising.

Rory gave a good point that people who only mildly dabble in furry interest aren't going to be online, especially in furry sites. In order to find my niche I'm going to have to change strategies.
    To point #1, that is probably the biggest misconception that gets tossed around. The fandom itself accepts everybody; the people in it do NOT all accept each other, not even by a longshot.

To point #2, it's not a hard and fast rule. Plenty of good furry folk are online, from lifestylers to those who associate at the most basic of levels. They aren't easy to find, but they're out there. Most of it depends on effort mixed with a heaping portion of luck.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Animancer View Post
    It is, I believe, a noble aim to be all-accepting to those who are different; such is the epitome of open-mindedness. The drama comes from anyone still holding onto personal limitations, like not accepting certain fetishes. But if a club is going to be all-accepting than it must endure all ends of every spectrum.
    Trying to be too "all-inclusive" is how we end up with people thinking it's okay to promote sexually abusing animals and such within the furry fandom. It's also why furriness is often associated with socially awkward creepers who shove their fetishes down everyone's throats in neutral spaces.
    There's nothing wrong with a fandom having standards and policing itself, or people having standards as to who they are and aren't willing to associate with, based on that person's behaviors.

In any case, you should probably be trying to make friends and connections based on actual chemistry between personalities.
    Not just "furries because furries because furries." That need to desperately "fit in."
    This isn't high school. It's not mandatory to choose a clique.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Dude! I love furries. Their weirdness and variety is what makes it so swell. I've not felt so comfortable or enjoyed the presence of such people so much before - they are the best!
    And if the full-on creepy ones didn't exist, then the fandom wouldn't be as fun ! !

Damn furries!

Edit: On second thought; most of them suck! You should stay away. LOL
    Last edited by Hewge; 06-11-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    If you wanna connect with the fandom, you should go to a con. They're actually hella awesome if you're okay with socializing with strangers. Most people I suggest this to are so introverted though, that they wouldn't even consider the idea. Too bad :<
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    It's nice to accept people for who thry are but it does not mean that it is a smart choice. You can treat most furries you treat rapists.

Or the same way I treat Ameriguns.
    Last edited by Zeitzbach; 06-12-2014 at 06:41 AM.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #27
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I think whatever cliches you've heard about the fandom are entirely self-generated and hence highly suspicious. I've been 'barely a furry' for a long time, mostly because whenever I find myself learning too much about the fandom or getting in too deep (seriously, no pun intended), I tend to realize that the fandom is practically just an extension of high school, but for older people. All the cliques, the rumors, the drama, the stratification-induced resentments, the hyper-sexualization of everything, the need to belong, the love of partying and clubbing.... It's almost exactly like high school. And I've grown out of high school by now and am in the stage of my life where I try harder to act more like an adult. So furrydom has a limited appeal to me now. I still dig anthro animals; that will probably never change. But it's in the same way I also dig the band Modest Mouse. And I guess if that makes me barely a furry or not a furry at all, fine.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    Judging by all that animal-person smut you've uploaded, I'd say you fit in just fine!
    Haha. OMG.

YEah OP I wouldn't sweat the title. If you like anthros and think the name furry fits then use it.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Bro I don't even have nor want a fursona. Not anymore anyway. Don't stress it. lmao
    Pachi discarded his Yokumansona

Weasyl
    Mika_Lieto
    Well i feel like with any fandom there is always a spectrum
    there will be those who are minimally into the furry fandom have a anthro character post some art but little interaction otherwise on the left end of the spectrum and then on the right side of the spectrum are the hardcore lifestylers that probably make a good majority of us cringe, then there is everyone in between. and like any fandom there will be some who are casuals and others who are purists and many won't get along and some sub groups will have rivalries and say they hate each other ect.

However There is some sense of community that brings us all to the fandom something that makes us think, "Hey I think I found a little niche that i can feel comfortable and call my own."

Now some of us will out grow the fandom like we out grew our childhood and others will hang on til the bitter end.

The amazing thing about furries is the crazy sense of pack mentality you can see all the time, and it can offer a great variety of diversity and acceptance. We probably have more fetiches, and subgroups than any other fandom, you can always find people who share you're interests and make you feel like less of an anomaly. I think when it comes down to it It's just a comforting place for a lot of us.

Sorry for long stupid little wall of text just a bunch of jumbled thoughts I've had about the fandom for a while >.<