Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Barely a furry

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    I may sound a bit... ironic right now, but I'd really stop while I was ahead if I were you. I know it can be hard, but sometimes you gotta let it go.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Auriel Kitsu View Post
    Rory you sound as ignorant in your assumptions as the people that disrespected me and dismissed what I said with poor logic. Everyone has a right to their opinion but nobody has a right to be wrong in their facts. If you don't believe that then I'm in the wrong community.
    Of course you have the right to an opinion, but you don't have a right to be condescending and rude to other users. If you think what you said was necessary or appropriate, then yes, you're in the wrong community. Regardless, this gets dropped now or taken to PMs, otherwise an infraction will follow.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #43

Weasyl
    Fayv
    You asked what other species rapes, and you were given an answer, I don't think anyone is attempting to say rape and slavery is alright.

The point of the warning is this is all off topic.

So back on topic. Answer me this readers. for those that believe one is a furry if they say they are, is there a point were you say "okay buddy you're a furry"

As in someone has a fursuit, fursona, take part in the community, attend cons, whatever else but still goes "hey I'm not a furry"

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #44
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post

So back on topic. Answer me this readers. for those that believe one is a furry if they say they are, is there a point were you say "okay buddy you're a furry"

As in someone has a fursuit, fursona, take part in the community, attend cons, whatever else but still goes "hey I'm not a furry"
    In my opinion, if they don't feel like they are a member of the fandom under what they consider as furry but still partake in the different aspects of the fandom, then that's totally cool. For me, furry isn't a label you can force on someone based on certain choices they make. My friends have fursonas, and one plans to attend a con (maybe a few) but doesn't identify as a furry, and I have no prob with that.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    for those that believe one is a furry if they say they are, is there a point were you say "okay buddy you're a furry"

If someone has and wears a fursuit but doesn't think they're a furry, I'd call bullshit. They're either in deep, deep denial or are confused about what a furry is.
    For the rest of the stuff, I'd say it gets more circumstantial. Like, having a fursona would be a key indicator to me to maybe pull them aside and go "hey buddy, I think we need to have a little talk...", but depending on what it is to them there could be valid reasons to have something like that and not be a furry.
    It's kind of that point where you say "Yeah, I'm with them". Being a furry is sort of like joining a weird cult.

Weasyl
    TheCaley
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Animancer View Post
    Do you relate to the following?

I'm not into fursuiting, I don't have animal behavior quirks (like purring or mewing), I don't put furry pictures on my walls or computer desktop, I feel somewhat out of place and embarrassed around furries, I identify with humans, I'm not strongly spiritually connected to animals or nature, I don't spoil my pet cat, I don't push topics on people who are uninterested.

I find something very meaningful in most of my art, and animal characters I understand from some feeling inside me. Like a metaphor, a symbol; I can express what it means to be human through animal characters. Currently I am roleplaying this through GURPS with my brothers who aren't furry. They can sense it too, and the more we express the more we understand. It is humanity we admire, and all the good in the world that comes from it.

But the fandom? I wish to share my feelings and expressions with others, but this fandom... it is hard to fit into.

Anyone else barely a furry?
    Quoting the original post so people don't get confused

I have considered fursuiting, mostly because I already enjoy cosplay, and have pictures of my muse (I don't really refer to him as a fursona, n'or any of my other characters) posted on my desktop or as my icon. I can't say I'm overly embarrassed being around furries, but I am a bit uncomfortable around those on the more extreme side. It could also be that shyness I have where I have felt second hand embarrassment in a lot of things. I could easily consider myself misanthropic, mostly because time and time again I see society doing things that, quite frankly, are just disgusting - most of politics, social justice and the lack thereof for example. At the same time, I don't feel spiritually connected to animals or nature. I realized I never wanted a pet in the first place. I certainly do my best to avoid pushing the topic onto people that aren't interested. I can understand how you would feel about some of those points.

I feel very much that way, too. Mostly in my writing. Though I could add that I feel - at least two - are direct fractures or alter-egos of my personality, whether or not that was created unintentionally or they actually are is undetermined for me.

I have only been on the edge of the furry fandom, talking to only a few other furries here and there, and generally they can be described in a similar fashion to both of us. I have yet to decide whether or not I fit into this fandom. I found it's much easier here that on FA. FA is full of content that is off-putting for me and generally makes me feel uncomfortable to see, and I can't block it either, which is why I love Weasyl's blacklist feature.

That being said, I personally have come to describe being a furry as "having an interest in anthropomorphic animals (not necessarily sexual in nature)." Thus, we'd both fall under that. However, you would describe yourself as being barely a furry because you only enjoy a small portion of the fandom. I've seen people who draw furry creatures who'd never call themselves a furry. It's really a personal description, something you choose to call yourself. Really, that applies for pretty much everything.

I'm pretty sure this has been beaten to the ground already but I felt like putting in my two cents.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    If someone has and wears a fursuit but doesn't think they're a furry, I'd call bullshit. They're either in deep, deep denial or are confused about what a furry is.
    For the rest of the stuff, I'd say it gets more circumstantial. Like, having a fursona would be a key indicator to me to maybe pull them aside and go "hey buddy, I think we need to have a little talk...", but depending on what it is to them there could be valid reasons to have something like that and not be a furry.
    It's kind of that point where you say "Yeah, I'm with them". Being a furry is sort of like joining a weird cult.
    Like I said before, I think the problem is that people see it as something to be ashamed of, so they don't associate with furries. But I've also said before: It really isn't.

Weasyl
    epitomefox
    Being a furry doesn't mean you have to have some spititual connection with animals, go to cons, or dress up. At it's core, it is a fandom of anthropomorphic animals, anything from characters who are refered to as "anthro," who stand on two feet and talk or what are called "feral" characters, who look like normal animals, but may talk, or just show signs of human emotion and/or intelligence. This is a big fandom with all kinds of different fans.

Weasyl
    chiffon
    Well… I’m a big nature person, but I can relate. Not many “nature people” seem to care about plants or insects, and I'm not too serious about my involvement in the furry fandom. There's plenty of more casual furries around, though. The ones who are the most into it are, unsurprisingly, the ones with the most presence sometimes - where else are they going to go?

I don't think I've ever felt truly part of any group. When I was a kid, we moved around a lot, and (with a few exceptions) most of my classmates claimed to have been friends since birth, and because they hadn't known me for very long, they never attempted to get to know me at all, and any attempts to get to know them mostly failed. So I ended up sort of going from various websites, peeking in at various subcultures, trying to find a niche in which I fit in. But I never felt I had enough qualities of any subculture, sexuality, religion, etc. to really identify as anything. Not yet, anyways. I still hope I'll find something eventually.

A lot of my friends are furries, but if I was one, I'd be on the lowest level of furry interest. I've liked stuff that happened to have furry characters in it, but any attempt to become "more furry" (and believe me, I've tried) has always consistently failed.