plus a journal basically saying this is all they mean to do is spam watches
    https://www.weasyl.com/journal/54605...ove-automation

What is the friggin point?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Maybe they just like following people? lol

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    I was just about to bring this up, actually. Is there's a way to remove yourself from someone elses follow list? I know on deviantART, if you block a person, they're automatically removed from your watchlist and it removes you from their watch list, too. I did an experiment just now that when you ignore someone and then unignore someone, Weasyl automatically refollows both. I'd rather it just delete me from their list and vice verse personally when I block someone, but... well, there's the suggestion!

Not a big deal I guess, but I'm not sure what Atrocity is up to... I hope this isn't gonna pave the way for spam favorites or comments or something, either. :U

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Hello! We are aware of the watchbots and are keeping an eye on them. So far, they're not causing any performance issues, so we're not too concerned about them. If they do become a problem, we'll deal with them appropriately.

I have passed the unfollow suggestion along however!

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I don't understand the point of these, but I don't see why you care either. As long as they're not breaking the site then they're not hurting anybody.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

The one thing to keep an eye on is notification performance. If one (more likely it might take several) of these watchbots watches the entire site and never clears out notifications that can take up quite a bit of space.

Quote Originally Posted by inaki View Post
    Hello! We are aware of the watchbots and are keeping an eye on them. So far, they're not causing any performance issues, so we're not too concerned about them. If they do become a problem, we'll deal with them appropriately.

I have passed the unfollow suggestion along however!
    Actually, it should be an "unfollow and ban". I really don't want to have to keep doing this if some asshat is running a script that just keeps watching every single user.

Also, I think it's a mistake to do nothing. It sets a bad precedent for "it was OK, now it's not". If someone is doing something that would be OK if every single user did, then it's ok. But just because "one or two people are doing it" does not make it ok. That's eventually what happened over at FA. I think being proactive and limiting this, or nipping it in the bud, is the best way to handle it. IMHO of course.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Other than possible site performance issues do to the amount of notifications it'll get, why do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    Other than possible site performance issues do to the amount of notifications it'll get, why do you care?
    I actually don't care other than my access to the site getting bogged down, but the admins should. Two reasons:

1. Most of the FA drama wasn't over prohibiting the use of bots for this, it was over the "it was OK until it wasn't". It was OK, and a couple of the people who had been doing it early on even got a "we don't mind" kind-of-OK from the admins. Then suddenly someone posts a script so now everyone can do it - and it's a bannable offense. Much of the drama was over the "but the admins said it was OK and suddenly it's not". The admins should be consistent - either something is OK or it's not. If it's OK, then they better be OK with everyone doing it.

2. If the admins turn a blind eye to something like this because "only a couple people do it" then where does it end? Someone writes a script to list all the Weasyl users. Ok, no biggie. Someone modifies that script to download all submissions by all users. Well, ok, but as long as it's only a couple users. Someone then posts the script to Reddit and now 10,000 people are downloading all submittals and the site collapses. Now how do you figure out who is legitimately trying to access the site and who is scripting it? That's a bigger mess to clean up than if you had, for example, either prohibited or limited automated access in the first place. That's a perfect example of things that shouldn't be "OK" no matter how many people are, or are not, doing it.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by billsc26 View Post
    Actually, it should be an "unfollow and ban". I really don't want to have to keep doing this if some asshat is running a script that just keeps watching every single user.

Also, I think it's a mistake to do nothing. It sets a bad precedent for "it was OK, now it's not". If someone is doing something that would be OK if every single user did, then it's ok. But just because "one or two people are doing it" does not make it ok. That's eventually what happened over at FA. I think being proactive and limiting this, or nipping it in the bud, is the best way to handle it. IMHO of course.
    Nah I agree with you too. I like that the staff are not cracking down on someone who is really doing no harm at the moment, but I do wonder where and when the line will be drawn. Can 10 people do this? 15? 20? 30? When will the line be drawn? When it starts to bog down the site or when someone inevitably (as we have seen with FA) uses it for malicious purposes?

If and when this sort of thing does get nipped, there will be people whining and complaining about "well this guy JUST did it and he's not banned!" which isn't really a big problem but yeah.

(Ignoring the fact that watchbots are essentially useless and done purely for fun and not because people are actually interested in viewing every submission from every user on the site.)