Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritty View Post
    Pop-ups don't work nowadays, two reasons - 1. they are obnoxious and would disrupt the stream for everyone as it appears over the drawing program/game and 2. they flat-out don't work for most users anymore as most browsers either ship with pop-up blockers or people have AdBlock installed. So nah, not UX at all.

A simpler idea to improve on the time limit is just to stick a countdown timer that's viewable on the site - and a button for 'add more stream time' - no need for anything more complex like a full API (?!) as that is all Javascript, even if a 'one minute warning' beep is needed. But hey, if we want a full API to do that (and admittedly other areas) then we always need the help. We'd certainly find ways to use it for other purposes; but it's overkill for this little issue.
    That is in essence exactly what I meant. Not pop-up as in a new window that pops up, but pop-up as in segment of the site layout that shows up with new information regarding the special situation. Nobody in their right mind would implement this kind of functionality as a pop-up browser window, especially with something that doesn't follow from immediate user interaction. (Unless the pop-up actually opens with the stream info and countdown when the stream is first published, but it still sounds kinda clunky.)

This is why I used the wording popup on the mainsite instead of from the mainsite. See, all it would've taken is one open-minded message to clear that misunderstanding up. My response was sassed up by the residue sass from the first response I got, but metaconversation is always such fun.

It is a completely different fallacy to expect that to make suggestions, you have to be able to implement them.

But thanks anyways guys, I needed the reminder again to stay away from the forums.

Weasyl
    Ritty
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    That is in essence exactly what I meant. Not pop-up as in a new window that pops up, but pop-up as in segment of the site layout that shows up with new information regarding the special situation. Nobody in their right mind would implement this kind of functionality as a pop-up browser window, especially with something that doesn't follow from immediate user interaction. (Unless the pop-up actually opens with the stream info and countdown when the stream is first published, but it still sounds kinda clunky.)

This is why I used the wording popup on the mainsite instead of from the mainsite. See, all it would've taken is one open-minded message to clear that misunderstanding up. My response was sassed up by the residue sass from the first response I got, but metaconversation is always such fun.

It is a completely different fallacy to expect that to make suggestions, you have to be able to implement them.

But thanks anyways guys, I needed the reminder again to stay away from the forums.
    While I'm going to apologise for my first response being curt, you're acting as if you never made any assumptions either and didn't go immediately on the defensive. I don't know why you immediately got upset about your very short post being interpreted wrong, and instead of an 'open-minded message' you shift right into sass gear. It's a two-way road. Also, let's not talk about fallacies. It's a fallacy to use that response to a suggestion - it however isn't when someone is being snipey instead of discussive.

With that hopefully out of the way for good (as it will be if you're now avoiding the forum, it seems) the on-site pop-up as described would work but again, most streamers won't see such a pop-up so how it appears is still not too relevant - a sound would be better. Also, having the pop-up appear while on any page of the site is more intrusive development at this stage of the site than my suggestion of having a dedicated timer page that just hosts a little bit of JavaScript that doesn't need push-communication or constant polling of the server.