Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Suggestion: Stream Settings Defaults

    I don't use Weasyl much mostly because looking at images is a much bigger chore than it needs to be. Compared to any other image site, I spend five minutes going through a single row of submissions here while I can get through an entire page full anywhere else with a glance. However, there's already been a suggestion for changing the thumbnails so you can see the full images without having to click on each one, so that's not the focus of this thread. I only mention it to further encourage the administration to incorporate that particular suggestion, since it hasn't been yet.

    Instead, I have something else I'd like to bring up. While I don't browse the site much I still announce my streams here. The problem I see is the defaults for the stream page are rather inconvenient for someone who streams several days a week and announces it on multiple sites. You have to actually choose that you're streaming from the dropdown box at the top or it ignores the whole shebang altogether.

    What I'd *like* to see is the following:

    - The dropdown menu on the stream settings page should default to 'I am now streaming', default to whichever option is opposite your current stream status, or allow you to choose which default setting you want in your site preferences.

    - A default stream time that you can specify to be set when you visit the stream settings page. Mine would always be set to 360 because I stream for many hours. Alternatively, a simple 'same as last time' button to cookie-cutter all the settings from a previous stream.

    - Also, raise the cap on stream times from 360 minutes. I don't know why Inkbunny and Weasyl have both done this. I often stream for over twelve hours and almost never stream for less than six. It's a pain to have to re-roll my stream announcements once a night.


    But the easiest solution that would still be an improvement would be if I click through the stream settings page and click save, default to 'now streaming' with 120 minutes on it.

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Sentimental Machine Fiz's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Fiz
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,476
    The time cap was placed because there was a fairly widespread problem of people placing in super long periods of time for their stream, but forgetting to turn their stream off on their own after they were done. The cap probably won't be raised for this very reason.

    I think having personal stream settings saved to your profile is something we could do sometime in the future though. I've created a redmine report for your idea so you can track it's status:

    https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/437

  3. #3
    Ahh, understandable. It's a shame that something useful gets cast aside because of forgetful people. But I can see how it can be abused.

    Thanks for going through the trouble of making the report!

  4. #4
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    The time cap was placed because there was a fairly widespread problem of people placing in super long periods of time for their stream, but forgetting to turn their stream off on their own after they were done. The cap probably won't be raised for this very reason.
    This seems like a very backwards solution to the problem at hand. Kind of like setting a hard limit on all stoves that they turn off on their own after 15 minutes and you have to reset all the burners if you want to cook for longer than that.

    Why not instead like... dunno, check if the user is still there? A simple pop-up on the mainsite that would show after so an so much time has passed, and if the user doesn't confirm they're still streaming, the stream will be set as paused after a grace period. If that happens, the user could maybe be notified and have the option of restarting the previous stream with one click on the mainsite. Now that sounds like UX.

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    This seems like a very backwards solution to the problem at hand. Kind of like setting a hard limit on all stoves that they turn off on their own after 15 minutes and you have to reset all the burners if you want to cook for longer than that.

    Why not instead like... dunno, check if the user is still there? A simple pop-up on the mainsite that would show after so an so much time has passed, and if the user doesn't confirm they're still streaming, the stream will be set as paused after a grace period. If that happens, the user could maybe be notified and have the option of restarting the previous stream with one click on the mainsite. Now that sounds like UX.
    more like "sounds like a pain in the ass". you're also forgetting one thing: how is this going to get the user's attention in the first place? if someone is streaming, they're not going to be browsing weasyl; they're going to be... doing something.

  6. #6
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Well, there's the HTML5 Notification API, alerts and all other methods that Facebook, for example, uses to gain a user's attention on a new message. But you're correct, it is obviously a much better solution to remain cynical and avoid all communication of internal status to the user. Much better to just do things in the background and hope that the user finds out by stumbling upon it some other way. I think you did hit the nail on the head... why would anyone want to check weasyl while streaming, nobody ever checks their FA or email either, they probably find out new information some other way. Oh, with the thumbnails the way they are, some people seem to be reluctant to check the site even when they're not streaming. But it's alright, I know improving things so much might send a lot of users packing towards other sites.

  7. #7
    Technical Staff Ritty's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ritty
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Well, there's the HTML5 Notification API, alerts and all other methods that Facebook, for example, uses to gain a user's attention on a new message. But you're correct, it is obviously a much better solution to remain cynical and avoid all communication of internal status to the user. Much better to just do things in the background and hope that the user finds out by stumbling upon it some other way. I think you did hit the nail on the head... why would anyone want to check weasyl while streaming, nobody ever checks their FA or email either, they probably find out new information some other way. Oh, with the thumbnails the way they are, some people seem to be reluctant to check the site even when they're not streaming. But it's alright, I know improving things so much might send a lot of users packing towards other sites.
    Talk is cheap. Last time I checked the dev team is happy to accept assistance with development - so put up those chops.

  8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Well, there's the HTML5 Notification API,
    which requires a weasyl window open.

    alerts
    "alerts"?

  9. #9
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritty View Post
    Talk is cheap. Last time I checked the dev team is happy to accept assistance with development - so put up those chops.
    My bad for thinking the forum is meant for conversation about suggestions for improvement and then defending my idea after being once again dismissed with rather harsh language. If someone was considering offering assistance to a dev team, that's obviously not a thing that would affect their enthusiasm or willingness to help. Good thing, good thing.

  10. #10
    Technical Staff Ritty's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ritty
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    My bad for thinking the forum is meant for conversation about suggestions for improvement and then defending my idea after being once again dismissed with rather harsh language. If someone was considering offering assistance to a dev team, that's obviously not a thing that would affect their enthusiasm or willingness to help. Good thing, good thing.
    Naaah, I personally reckon your previous reply was definitely harsher

    Faced with disagreement, rather than elaborate your point or provide a demo you decided to get sassy - I've had lots of experience with all three so I know what is the least effort response.

    Pop-ups don't work nowadays, two reasons - 1. they are obnoxious and would disrupt the stream for everyone as it appears over the drawing program/game and 2. they flat-out don't work for most users anymore as most browsers either ship with pop-up blockers or people have AdBlock installed. So nah, not UX at all.

    A simpler idea to improve on the time limit is just to stick a countdown timer that's viewable on the site - and a button for 'add more stream time' - no need for anything more complex like a full API (?!) as that is all Javascript, even if a 'one minute warning' beep is needed. But hey, if we want a full API to do that (and admittedly other areas) then we always need the help. We'd certainly find ways to use it for other purposes; but it's overkill for this little issue.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •