Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    oly
    I know about Arduino, I have an Arduinome actually - i didn't build it myself but i have studied the process and i understand how you would go about it. Never considered doing that really... I don't think it'll be anything i do any time soon but it's actually a pretty good idea... hmmm. Something to consider for long term. How would you trigger it then? maybe pressure sensors inside the mask to trigger stuff when you move your face? having to push buttons or sliders would be awkward, blinking could jsut be on a timer/randomized but that's not much of a concern for a use-your-own-eyes design.

Now for a balaclava to build off of, obviously a wooly/winter one designed for warmth is a bad choice, should i use an underarmor one for that or search for a thin cloth one? any you'd recommend in particular? I don't see much that isn't designed for winter use from a quick google. Might it even be more effective to jsut get some fabric and make my own?

EDIT: also would you recommend fitted underarmor or just normal fit? does it really make a difference, shoudl i jsut go with whatever is more comfortable?

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Fayv
    most underarmor or equivilant has spandex in it and stretches a bit. It will be close. I've never had issue with having it fit, just go with the general s, m, l
    if you have a balaclave built in you don't need a second, it's to keep the oil and nastiness off the foam in the head.

as for what kind of balaclava, winter sports stuff is actually pretty good. it sounds weird but you get really hot under the helmet when snowboarding and it's nice to have the wicking to it. Just look for a balaclava that talks about moisture wicking or something like that.

Weasyl
    Flame Soulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I know about Arduino, I have an Arduinome actually - i didn't build it myself but i have studied the process and i understand how you would go about it. Never considered doing that really... I don't think it'll be anything i do any time soon but it's actually a pretty good idea... hmmm. Something to consider for long term. How would you trigger it then? maybe pressure sensors inside the mask to trigger stuff when you move your face? having to push buttons or sliders would be awkward, blinking could jsut be on a timer/randomized but that's not much of a concern for a use-your-own-eyes design.
    For the eyes, if you wanted FULL sync (meaning "you-blink-I-blink"), you could use a motion sensor that is fixed on the eyes, but that's over kill, so I'd go with the timer (that's what I did, but I can see some use for using the sensors for winking without needing a button press).

As for sensors regarding facial movements, I remember seeing someone making a hand that had these long strands of something that created an electrical resistance based on how it is bent. It was enough that his 'fake' hand was fully functional and that it was fitted over a winter glove, so I guess an idea could spout from that.

As far as the animatronics go, they would be defiantly a long term item. I'm busy working on a suit right now to demo the kits I've made and will cost a very fancy penny, but I expect it to last a LONG time and still function as well.

As for an underarmor, I've used spandex suits and it works just fine for me. As for a balaclava, I just use a standard one I just grabbed, though I now mostly use the underarmor's head part for that too. My first suit was not built off of a spandex base so that is why I have 2 (one for normal usage, the other is back up).

Also, in regards to building off a spandex/underarmor base, here's a quick passage from the book:
    The foundation layer creates the semblance of musculature. The inner suit has two requirements: it must fit the actor comfortably and serve as a firm base for the application of foam padding. This layer is the foundation for the rest of the costume. A spandex unitard is the best and most versatile choice for the undersuit.
    Select a heavier fabric, one with a higher spendex content. The suit will distribute the weight of the padding or other costume elements over greater surface area. Lightweight spandex is more likely to sag or distort if heavy padding is attached to it. However, a spandex bodysuit or unitard of any spandex percentage can be adapted to the purpose.
    Riggs, Adam. "Sculpted Bodysuits." Ed. Dawn Devine. Critter Costuming: Making Mascots and Fabricating Fursuits. Roseville, CA: Ibexa, 2004. 131. Print.

Anyone know how long you often have to wait after you commission someone to make feetpaws?