Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    oly

Fursuit questions/musings!

Not sure if this is the right sub forum but there's no fursuit specific one so I figured most suiters sorta consider it a lifestyle thing or a hobby right?

following is a copy/paste from the thread I made on FA a bit ago:
    ---
    Few things here I'm looking for some guidance or suggestions on... Looking to make a suit(kangaroo), was going to start off with just the head/mask since if i can't get that right i don't want to waste money on the rest of a suit.

Number one thing: i want it to be as expressive and minimal as i can - not at all a fan of teh big head cartoony type suits. a big thing I've been mulling over is trying to get the face to react/deform along with my own face as much as possible. Seen lots about jaws that move with your jaw and that doesn't seem like a huge issue to implement, but I'm wondering if there are any types of foam or specific methods that are known to allow for the greatest degree of expression - I was planning to use a balaclava as a base to build off of at the moment but I'm open to suggestions if something else might function better.
    Particularly i'm interested in getting cheek deformation to show through... i'd like to be able to smile and have it show through as much as possible, for example. I know that latex mask/prosthesis or whatever is very possible and will do what i want, but I'd like to avoid spending that much(at least i assume it's fairly costly?) and i'd like to make it myself.
    I imagine doing this with a foam based build would require large and tight contact with my skin, and I'm worried that might reduce comfort considerably. thoughts, suggestions?

Also: I want to use my real eyes, but they're the wrong color... the right color being bright as hell hot pink. Does anybody know any good reputable colored contact lens manufactures? I imagine a quick google will turn many up but I'd like to get some opinions before i go choosing one to buy from, so any recommendations are highly appreciated.

My friends/landlords are suiters who make their own shit so i'm not worried about finding resources for the more common aspects of sewing, attaching fur and that sort of thing, but any particularly good writeups(i prefer text and pictures to videos) for that sorta stuff or any that demonstrate less usual methods of doing things, I'd be glad to look through for ideas. Keeping in mind that I'm not interested in a cartoony look in teh least, so anything with a focus on making things look natural and realistic are appreciated.

Well, this isn't a furry-specific forum, so there wouldn't be a specific place to post that. I can't imagine a better place to put this than this section, but I'm not a mod so that's just me guessing.

I can't help you much, I don't do that sort of thing, but what specifically do you mean by not looking cartoony? I assumed you meant for it to look like a real animal until I read the part about the eye color. I do make a distinction between cartoony and unrealistic, but it might help to be more specific on body type? Maybe offer a quick sketch on an approximation of how you'd like the form to look?
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    oly
    By 'not cartoony' i mainly mean just not the big-head big-eyes cutesy sort of head that is very common(random image off tumblr). I'm not going for exact realism, but I'd definitely like a more realistic look than i usually see in most suits/heads. And i'm mainly just focusing on the head right now, since if i end up doing a full suit it'll be a ways down the line, mostly just gonna do a head and a tail and maybe some paw gloves.

My avatar is a pretty good representation of what i want. along with this pic. i might make a sketch when I get home of what I have in mind.

My main concern though really isn't so much the shape of things exactly, but getting the face to be as expressive as i can possibly make it along with my real face. I'm probably going to just improvise while making it until it i'm satisfied with how it looks, but knowing what to avoid or methods that will allow for maximum expressiveness would save me a lot of headache and experimentation.

Honestly I'm resigned to most likely not getting it quite as i like, but I'd still like to try like hell to get there. xP

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Fayv
    woof that's a lot to ask for. I suggest taking a look at special effects, latex masks, and makeup rather than fursuits and fursuit databases.
    balaclava and foam are not going to give you the responsiveness you want, if you still want to go for a mask then take a look at resin casts. These can have "use your own" eyes and depending on the maker they will have incredible responsiveness in terms of jaw movement. you still won't get smiling though, masks just can't do that.

The most face responsiveness will come from a latex prosthetic mask. That's going a bit beyond my forte. I dunno how to get them and apply them, but it takes work to apply the make up. Still you end up with a great effect http://youtu.be/-4yZrm18occ

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    woof that's a lot to ask for. I suggest taking a look at special effects, latex masks, and makeup rather than fursuits and fursuit databases.
    balaclava and foam are not going to give you the responsiveness you want, if you still want to go for a mask then take a look at resin casts. These can have "use your own" eyes and depending on the maker they will have incredible responsiveness in terms of jaw movement. you still won't get smiling though, masks just can't do that.

The most face responsiveness will come from a latex prosthetic mask. That's going a bit beyond my forte. I dunno how to get them and apply them, but it takes work to apply the make up. Still you end up with a great effect http://youtu.be/-4yZrm18occ
    Yeah, definitely aware that i'm not gonna get anything near the results of a latex mask type dealie. If a smiling level of expressiveness is out of the question that's fine. I'd still like to get as much deformation/expression as i possibly can. Latex/make up stuff is both too expensive and too complicated to put on, and a lot more work to do on my own. Also... do they do those with actual fur on them? Smooth would be kinda creepy to me. x3

Resin casting is probably also a bit outside what i'm capable of doing at the moment(i'm shooting to get the head done by early November since I'm probably going to Howloween with my landlords) but i'll look into it. Know any good resources for learning about that with a focus on fursuit heads/masks? I'll do some google-fu as well.

Weasyl
    Flame Soulis
    I got a book from Furbuy awhile back, and I see it on sale on occasions. It is essentially a complete cheat book behind fursuit construction and designing, and I have to admit, even a fursuit owner should have it simply as a reference for doing repairs.

I have found the book on Amazon, but expect to pay a pretty penny for it. If you feel serious about making the suit yourself, this defiantly will tell you the many various ways of achieving what you want, including ones that use your actual eyes (it's its own chapter if I recall. I don't have the book on hand as it's in my car at the moment and this rain storm is hitting me like a ton of bricks).

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Soulis View Post
    but expect to pay a pretty penny for it.
    Wellp I won't be getting it any time soon then. xP But thanks for the heads up about it. Maybe one day when I'm not totally broke. x3

Weasyl
    Clambo
    Honestly Fay V is probably right on this one. If you're looking to get really close to realism, it's probably going to have to be special effects-style make-up. If you want to build a fursuit or mask though, I've heard that this community is very good for answering those sorts of questions and has an extensive tutorial and how-to list:

http://fursuit.livejournal.com/

Alas, I don't know much about building. If you wanted a list of realistic makers who make use-your-own-eyes masks, I could easily provide that though. I do think this will end up costing you a pretty penny though, esp. if you've never done this sort of thing before and you're hoping for a looootta realism. It's probably going to cost you as much in practice materials as it would to just buy a mask from someone else. Good luck though, I and I hope you find a way to get what you're looking for. :>

Weasyl
    Clambo
    Actually, a quick google search of "kangaroo prosthesis latex mask" has brought up this interesting video:
    http://othersideofyoutube.com/?p=587

You can buy one from them starting around 50-something bucks.
    http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.ph...roducts_id=350

Weasyl
    Flame Soulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Wellp I won't be getting it any time soon then. xP But thanks for the heads up about it. Maybe one day when I'm not totally broke. x3
    It is $50 on Amazon, which compared to college books is quite a bit (I got it again from Furbuy at a lower price).

The book is called "Critter Costuming: Making Mascots and Fabricating Fursuits" so I guess you could see if other places sell it.