Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    ...damn it Batty, how come yer so eloquent when it comes to what I want to say. :V

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteriousL View Post
    Dude, America is never gonna get with the program when it comes to mental health.

I think it's just lived with.
    I know this is late to the party, but---

As someone who just had his mentally ill brother crawl in through his upstairs window, attack him, and then drive away in a rage in a multi-ton death machine SUV, only to have cops tell me what "there's nothing they can really do--a wild goose chase", is disturbing. Mental illness is not taken seriously here. Facilities are not easy to get ahold of.

My brother has been checked into a rehab facility north of here. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue is more mental than narcotically inclined. My brother has high and blatant markers for sociopathy. Nothing is his fault. Zero accountability. Doesn't understand why the roommate "is such a bitch to him" even though he's eaten her food, destroyed her cleaning efforts, and called her a bitch to her face. And the hate---oh my god the hate. The pure, sense of seeing something inhuman in such completely dedicated hate filled eyes.

When your younger sibling is in your kitchen, swinging a bat, literally hissing through his mouth and nose in pure unadulterated rage at the fact that I was staring at him and wouldn't "fuck off", and then to not be able to use that as ample justification to have him pursued and officially checked into a facility...

My aunt had to actively threaten to blow up my uncle's home before she could be properly committed. What is my brother going to have to do before they try and fix his real issues? Rob or kill someone? Run them down on a late night, drug induced binge? Do I need to find him in the middle of hanging himself?

I don't know. I don't know anymore and it's been a very stressful past 48 hours and this struck a particular nerve. I tried helping my brother and it exploded catastrophically, and there's no easy place I know of that he can get help. And that's just the country I live in, and that's a very hard thing to come to terms with.

Go USA.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by battybegins View Post
    If I meet someone in public who proudly boasts the same rhetoric as a man who shot up a college campus, obviously I'm going to be wary of them. It dosen't matter if his interests and beliefs ligned up 10/10, he linked himself to them by repeating their dogma. It wasn't an accident. It wasn't a coincidence. He sympathized with what he read and took it upon himself to be the "chosen one" and take it a few steps farther.
    I assume you're talking about MRA like everybody else.
    What did he repeat? What did he read? Where is the proof? Fact of the matter is that there is no proof that he was an MRA, that he read MRA material, or that he even went on MRA websites.
    Men's Rights Activism fights for things like recognizing male rape victims, banning circumcision, gaining equal rights to child custody, more homeless and abuse shelters for men, etc. It has nothing to do with "I hate women and I want to kill them all".

So I'll repeat what I've been repeating for days, and nobody, not one person has been able to give me proof:
    Give me proof that he was an MRA. Solid proof. Find me something somewhere where Elliot says he is an MRA or that he loves MRA, or that he joins MRA websites.
    Give me proof that Elliot was acting in accordance to MRA fights. Find me proof that MRA is about killing women.

So far the only thing I've seen is that "this person says something that I don't like, therefore they must belong to a group of people that I don't like".

Proof. I want proof. Evidence. C'mon guys let's get this ball rolling. Whaddya got.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteCaliente View Post

As someone who just had his mentally ill brother crawl in through his upstairs window, attack him, and then drive away in a rage in a multi-ton death machine SUV, only to have cops tell me what "there's nothing they can really do--a wild goose chase", is disturbing. Mental illness is not taken seriously here. Facilities are not easy to get ahold of.

My brother has been checked into a rehab facility north of here. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue is more mental than narcotically inclined. My brother has high and blatant markers for sociopathy. Nothing is his fault. Zero accountability. Doesn't understand why the roommate "is such a bitch to him" even though he's eaten her food, destroyed her cleaning efforts, and called her a bitch to her face. And the hate---oh my god the hate. The pure, sense of seeing something inhuman in such completely dedicated hate filled eyes.

When your younger sibling is in your kitchen, swinging a bat, literally hissing through his mouth and nose in pure unadulterated rage at the fact that I was staring at him and wouldn't "fuck off", and then to not be able to use that as ample justification to have him pursued and officially checked into a facility...

My aunt had to actively threaten to blow up my uncle's home before she could be properly committed. What is my brother going to have to do before they try and fix his real issues? Rob or kill someone? Run them down on a late night, drug induced binge? Do I need to find him in the middle of hanging himself?

I don't know. I don't know anymore and it's been a very stressful past 48 hours and this struck a particular nerve. I tried helping my brother and it exploded catastrophically, and there's no easy place I know of that he can get help. And that's just the country I live in, and that's a very hard thing to come to terms with.

Go USA.
    This. Trying to erase any possible mental instability from this situation is just... well.. insane

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteCaliente View Post

Mental health in the U.S. is still a relatively new field, and a lot of people view it as useless voodoo still.
    I still see people say that autistic kids are just "faking it" to "Get attention/special treatment" and should instead be held down and beaten with PVC piping as said "attention/Special treatment". A lot of people with depression are just told "Get over it", and clearly people who are on medication are just buying into the conspiracy theory by a pharmaceutical company to get them hooked on a medication.

And the lack of understanding about it honestly shows, the internet can be quite a toxic place for people with mental disorders. Can you imagine what'd happen if people treated physical ailments like they do mental health?

"Hello there, I'm here for wor-*COUGH COUGH COUGH*"
    "Oh you're just coughing to get attention there's nothing wrong with you."
    *coughs up blood*
    "Yeah that's so fake blood."

*face swells up after a peppermint allergy* "Uh guys? Is this normal?"
    "Oh, yeah. That's just your own unique expression to peppermint."
    "No guys, seriously, my face is really itchy..."
    "DO IT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN! That's so cool!"

"Uh... you should get that mole looked at - that looks like melanoma."
    "YOU CAN'T GO PUSHING YOUR SOCIALLY CONSTRUCTED STANDARD OF BEAUTY ON ME!!!"
    "No, seriously... that looks pre-cancerous."
    "Help help! I'm being repressed! I'm being repressed."

Because I mean... think about it. These guys go onto the internet (like Tumblr or Reddit) because they don't know who else to help, only they get pushed on. Either they get people who vindicate their beliefs in some way, or they get goaded on by people who want to see what happens.

And it's so easy to find sources to show you that yeah, you are right - with Poe's Law kicking in around these places it's quite hard to tell whether or not someone's making an elaborate joke to satirize it or whether or not they're being serious.
    Last edited by Digitalpotato; 06-01-2014 at 11:12 PM.

For point of reference y'all know how I feel about American psychiatry and even I'm advocating the increased use of therapists. I'm not saying everyone should be sucking down drugs to deal with day to day life because "oh I was feeling anxious today" for the same reason everyone shouldn't be taking antibiotics for every little cough and sniffle. Still, there is a time and place for them, and when people go out of control, it's time for medication to get them back to a baseline. This guy obviously lost his shit many, many times before the shooting/stabbing/vehicular manslaughter and no one really gave a damn. It was his fault, obviously, but to say no one saw it coming is just patently wrong.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    As someone who actually lives in the area(ish... actually out in goleta) and attends UCSB, I can't but help but notice that the reactions get more and more extreme the farther and farther removed it is from someone's life, in general at least.

I guess I just dislike the idea of people running around pushing their agendas on behalf of the people who died.. rather than trying to figure out what they would have wanted first (if possible at least)

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by avan View Post
    As someone who actually lives in the area(ish... actually out in goleta) and attends UCSB, I can't but help but notice that the reactions get more and more extreme the farther and farther removed it is from someone's life, in general at least.
    I guess I just dislike the idea of people running around pushing their agendas on behalf of the people who died.. rather than trying to figure out what they would have wanted first (if possible at least)
    People get caught in the easy semantics. The obvious 'points' and 'ideas'.
    Mainly, people get caught up in the idea of binary/polar arguments. That it's just A vs B, Right and Wrong. There's no more room for other ideas and thoughts because they're irrelevant to what people consider the 'real issue' at hand.

The fact of the matter is, the trend isn't to think about more complex conclusions or ideas beyond the X, Y, and Z ideas any and all factions provide (factions being conserv/liberal, gunrights/control, and so on).

I know this screamed of a 'wake up sheeple!' mentality, but honestly it'd be nice to see more complex thought in all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by avan View Post

A man can bear any burden as long as it's on another man's shoulders.

It's far far easier to assume something when you weren't one who possibly avoided getting shot yourself because you missed your bus or chose to ditch school that day.

Weasyl
    Gamedog

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    ugg this guy.

Mental health has nothing to do with that he did. If mental health does have anything to do with it its a nasty case of narcissistic personality disorder if ANYTHING.

Mental health problems are often a scape goat for people who want reasons as to why something like this happens. Its understandable people want answers as to why and most of us cant see our selves killing people so we assume its a mental health problem.

This guys problem was an over entitlement issue. He has access to guns and his activity online was questionable. Honestly if he wasent white or rich he would have been in jail before the whole thing started.

He was a crybaby having a violent tantrum because no one wanted to suck his dick. People like him are whats wrong with the world. No one HAS to give accsess to thier body. Having sex is not a right. People need to reliase this.