Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I don't think I'v encountered this behavior, I do thank people for watches when I'm in the mood for it. What bothers me more is people asking for a 'watch(back)' on my own page.

You don't do that.

Your art might simply be of no interests to me, I'll be the judge of who I want to watch ktxby.
    I'm not on DA to 'rub elbows' if I watch someone its because they are either people I know, or people that draw things I like.

Another thing is the whole DA page full of 'thanks for the watch' while the artist in question has wonderful work. Thats so sad you know, can people not be bothered anymore to make a comment about the work these days unless you're some currently popular hot shot ? I try to leave some encouragement to everyone instead of just a dry 'thanks for ze watch' ,if I like the art I'll make a comment about why I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    No, I mean that if I get a watcher and go to their profile, I see that they don't comment, favorite, or really do anything other than watch. It'd be nice to at least get some kind of activity out of someone if they're going to be on a site and watch anyone, you know? Just seems like a waste otherwise.
    Actually,
    I'v known more then one person who have DA pages void of life but check their watch, one of them was an active commissioner. So an empty account doesn't neccecairly mean much tbh, they might just like your art but lets not pretend everyone likes DA, a lot of people do not, and do not want to engage in the community.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by spacerogue View Post
    Actually,
    I'v known more then one person who have DA pages void of life but check their watch, one of them was an active commissioner. So an empty account doesn't neccecairly mean much tbh, they might just like your art but lets not pretend everyone likes DA, a lot of people do not, and do not want to engage in the community.
    I suppose there's that. Normally I see commissioner accounts repost what it is they buy so maybe I'm just used to that, who knows.

I just checked the stats of someone who favorited an upload of mine today.

Watchers: 20
    Watching: 2
    Favorite: 22,322

Yeah, you're not getting a thank you from me, bucko.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteCaliente View Post
    What's your take on this technique of audience phishing? Fave-spamming is a similar vein.
    That is another great point, many of these people want to draw attention to, their (more often than not) poor quality work. I think that it shouldn't be allowed because it completely sucks any merit out of having followers/watchers, that you haven't really earned any of the recognition you garnered. Though, people whom encourage the behavior and thank these people are just as bad.

Fav-spamming isn't something I've seen first hand, but I would assume would mess with the metrics of the website, as in presenting the data in an honest fashion. Not to mention that it may confuse people whom are trying to improve and falsely get them to believe that they are doing something right. Though I believe actual interaction with others is a better indicator, as others have stated.

Primarily I think it is a new form of harassment/trolling, and should be an offense that results in a ban. In particular due to it being automated, which allows the person(s) to affect large numbers of people, whom probably already left other websites that allowed such practices. But I have already explained that aspect in one of my previous posts. I don't believe these people deserve a warning, because they have been warned both by users and admins from other websites that it is disruptive.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    I suppose there's that. Normally I see commissioner accounts repost what it is they buy so maybe I'm just used to that, who knows.
    Not all sites allow that I don't think DA does since they didn't make the artwork in question.

The more people get overly sensitive about it, the more I see why people think artists are jerks.

Weasyl
    valycenegative
    It's fun, because I was just ranting about it the other day with my friend right before FA decided to clean its site from the watchbots.

I have different point of views regarding watchbots and people who just like to watch accounts; I don't consider both of them to be harmful because you know, it's just a watch, they aren't harassing you or anything. The former though has to be considered as a "null", void watch, that just counts as a number on your buddy list and has no interaction whatsoever with you: that means no comments, no critiques and no favs.

Let's take the case of a user who only has, say, 10 watchers, but all of these are actual people who do like their artwork: for any submission posted, then, they gets (at least) 10 favs, 10 comments and why not, when they'll decide to open commissions, there might be a couple from that bunch who'd like one. He has a small watchbase, but he gets 100% exposure because everyone is "keeping attention" on them.
    Now a user with 100 watchers indeed has a greater number of followers than the previous artists, but let's say 90% of these followers are just watchbots: this guy still has 10 favs and 10 comments per submission, but they're only having 10% of its actual exposure because with that follower count, they should expect much more favs.

People who just like to watch a lot of artists/buddies, instead, may also be active watchers and and may respond with a fav or comment once a while, which is always positive. Of course though, I really don't know how these guys can keep up with their inboxes: I'm used to watch a small amount of people and still, whenever I see 15+ messages in my inbox I think they're too much.

About fav-spamming though, I'm very variable about it; first of all, how much would it take to be considered spamming? 10, 20, 100 favs, more? And what if people just genuinely like the art and wants it in their fav folder? I like to go around browsing the site for new art to see, and give a fav/comment to the things that have impressed me, am I considered guilty of fav-spamming too, or just an active/responsive user?
    Last edited by Valery91Thunder; 06-19-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    The case of the FA watch bots is interesting I think because it gives a bit of insight into the other side of the lens.
    With the mass-watch script that "went public", what was being advertised was the ability to gain a lot of pageviews and watches in a very short amount of time. Did they mean anything? Most likely not, seeing as they'd most likely be watchbacks and those pageviews might make you feel special but it's not going to lead to a lot more meaningful feedback on your work. But still, people bought into it - I heard that there were several accounts that used the script and had to get their watchlists wiped.

Is everybody that watches a lot of people doing it for attention? I'd say probably not. But if you use a script or such to do it, I can't imagine it as anything other than cheap spam.

Pageviews
    Followers
    Favorites Given
    Favorites Received
    Submissions
    Journals
    Following
    Ah, my first Weasyl watch-whore.

...Yeah, I don't care about this clown anymore now than I did before he decided to use me as a statistical boost.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Kittiara
    I don't think I ever click on a new watcher to see what's up unless I like their icon or think I recognize their name from somewhere. The more people, even 'watch-spammers', the more chance that at least ONE of them will see an 'open commission' notification from me in their submission or journal inbox and be in the right mood to buy!

I used to be bothered by the folks who never comment or seem to just watch tons and tons of people, but frankly now that I have a full time job with freelance on the side and everything else, I'm often guilty of the silent watch myself!
    Do you want a GOLD LEAF badge like my icon and profile image?

I am currently OPEN for "BYZANTINE BADGE"Commissions! Take a gander over yonder!
    https://www.weasyl.com/journal/57220...ummer-and-fall