Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Is that what that is, then? I've seen it before, but paid it little heed since it's their problem if they have ten thousand notifications to sift through from watching 900 people, or constantly nuking everything because they just had to have some number that only perplexes forward-thinking people.

I don't follow people because I want an E-peen, I follow them because they provide me with something I like. I doubt I will ever break the single digits in watches anywhere because it's time consuming as fuck to read a lot of material, and I sure as hell won't do it to fabricate a number absolutely no one cares for.

But I suppose I'll have to be warier when thanking people for things online from now on.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I don't even really understand why it's done. It's just bizarre to me.

Regardless of how many watcher or favs you have, 1, 100 or 10000, eventually you get to know who are "true fans".
    the ones who actually look at your work
    Write actual comments or even have conversations with you
    Favorite consistently, and by that I mean faving what they like not every piece you put out there. I draw plenty of different things and some people fav only dragons, or only anime etc.
    There are people who fav everything but never comment and those who fav nothing, to me thats basically the same thing.

I personally don't think it to work so well, isnt it more of a put off when you know they have fav'ed for no reason other then to see if you look at their page. I mean, I sometimes get flooded with "thanks for the watch" on a new account because its new, after that it just ends and I think that is pretty much the real way to do it.

I sometimes thank for the watch or the fav, but its like a spam and I usually on do so if that person has left me a comment.

most likely as well those people are just doing follow backs, which are also useless at many times. However I feel not to let it bother you. If you are creating great reasons to deserve a follow people will follow, and they will be real fans not just empty watchers.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    I don't care about them. If they watch me expecting to have me watch them back, though, they'll be disappointed.

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    I honestly only did it because everyone else did it and thought it was what you were supposed to do.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    There's a slight amount of sadness, I think. Sadness for what could have been, the idea that enjoyment of your work could have been had but ultimately never happened.

Does anyone else find it amusing that in this instance, it is what you say that matters more than what you do?

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    but I wanna B a popufur!

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Does anyone else find it amusing that in this instance, it is what you say that matters more than what you do?
    Sort of, depending on how you spin it. I still see it as the action of writing a legitimate comment mattering more than what it says, where "legitimate" is anything more than a standard form response.

Weasyl
    Fira
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    Obviously there's always issue of people who then use "follows" as some sort of collateral to try and influence artists and frankly that's unacceptable. Unfortunately people put a lot of stock in metrics as opposed to generally just interacting with the community. I think it's important for artists to remember that metrics aren't what make them great artists. It's their own hard work and dedication to their craft. Don't let other people try to influence you over something like "follows."
    If you don't mind, I'd like to quote you in a blog post on my personal blog for this. It's something that more people need to hear, especially a few that I know could use the encouragement.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #20

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Fira View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to quote you in a blog post on my personal blog for this. It's something that more people need to hear, especially a few that I know could use the encouragement.
    You're more than welcome to.