Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Weasyl
    RedSavage

Your take on "Watch Spamming"

I think it's fair to say we know the type.

You're browsing along, and then BAM. A new watcher. You go the account profile, and the user has been on all of 10 days, and has something around 800 or so watchers. Their profile is spammed with THANK YOU FOR THE WATCH and other like minded sentiments, not even spaced but hours or even minutes apart. And then on the other hand, you find out that said user has about a hundred tor so watchers. A high number for someone who had been on for just ten days.

What's your take on this technique of audience phishing? Fave-spamming is a similar vein.

My take on it is that I always feel slightly insulted. As a writer, I know it takes time to read and even know a piece. a special scenario is that of receiving a fave on a chapter piece about thirty seconds after I uploaded it. It's obvious that my work hasn't been read, the fave/wtach is a useless gesture meant to hook me into their page, and well my word choice should be sufficient to explain my feelings on it.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Watchers and views are worthless numbers that aren't worth fretting over, with favs not far behind. The only worthwhile number imo is how many legitimate comments a person gets. I hook people into my page by just being a decent, engaging person, something that escapes a lot of people regardless of what website you use.

And the people thanking the watch spammer are just as bad with their "thank you" spam.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I rather hate the "watch culture" for art sites.
    I don't hate the feature, it's good to be able to get updates from people you like and there's a rough correlation between the attention you get and the number of watchers you have, but I think too many people go for the brute numbers thinking "The more people watch me the better off they are" or even that just the number there is beneficial. somehow.

That's how you get people threatening things like "if you do X, I'll unwatch" even though they aren't a commissioner, don't ever comment, and maybe sometimes fav stuff. Big loss.
    S'why people take it as an insult I guess when they are unwatched. They view it like you are actually harming them. And that's why you get bullshit like people going "watch me back please"

That to be honest is one of my biggest pet peeves. I appreciate when people watch my stuff, when they have used a computer program to be updated when I do something, but then it's cheapened by this numbers thing. That they just did it to get attention.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think it's a shameless and pathetic practice.

When I do the whole actively giving a crap about art thing, I do tend to like and fave things a lot. Because I like them, believe it or not. Usually it's for artists who are still improving or just getting started. Potential excites me :3c

Weasyl
    Tiido
    The "watch everyone" people are a bit annoying but that is about it for me. I will appreciate any real watch though and I will go through galleries of anyone new whoever watches, favs or comments my schitw and fav all the stuff I like, drop some comments and possibly even watch the person.

Weasyl
    Recel
    I don't care about them. It's just a +1 to the watcher statistic, nothing more. If they are "just there", than it doesn't affect me, nor my work. If they watch me just to look cool or something than let them happy with it.

They won't view, nor fave and especially they won't comment anyways, so why bother thinking about it? Why get annoyed? They affect you just as much as if they wouldn't have watched at all.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Term
    Ultimately people will use the site how they want. If all they plan to do is watch other users and not comment on any work or contribute that is really their prerogative.

Obviously there's always issue of people who then use "follows" as some sort of collateral to try and influence artists and frankly that's unacceptable. Unfortunately people put a lot of stock in metrics as opposed to generally just interacting with the community. I think it's important for artists to remember that metrics aren't what make them great artists. It's their own hard work and dedication to their craft. Don't let other people try to influence you over something like "follows."

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Watchers and views are worthless numbers that aren't worth fretting over, with favs not far behind. The only worthwhile number imo is how many legitimate comments a person gets. I hook people into my page by just being a decent, engaging person, something that escapes a lot of people regardless of what website you use.

And the people thanking the watch spammer are just as bad with their "thank you" spam.
    Agreed.

Watches and faves are somewhat nice to see, but I by far prefer comments. Whenever I watch someone's gallery, I try to leave a comment about why I hit watch/follow/whatever, because I know I'm always curious when I get watches with no comments.

I guess if I saw a "watch spammer" type I'd just shrug it off. No skin off my back.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    I think it's important for artists to remember that metrics aren't what make them great artists. It's their own hard work and dedication to their craft. Don't let other people try to influence you over something like "follows."
    ^I like this very much. Though often times it can be difficult, you need to remember that what you're doing is more for yourself and not so much for other people (or atleast, for a majority it's like this).

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I've never gotten watcher or favorite spam... :[

There's this one guy who watched me on FA though. It's his goal to watch everyone! Last time I checked he was at about 90k.
    We should all follow our dreams as he does! No matter what people say about him or his kind, he shall forever continue to +watch people. A true inspiration!