Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    MGSV and Undertale still.

Probably not much else for the forseeable future. Maybe back to Dark Souls a bit, but probably not. I still never beat GTAV either, nor get over my fucking irritation at the online tutorials bullshit.
    Man, I think forced tutorials are one of my biggest gripes after the slow ass controls and engines on some of these games nowadays. It makes me wish I had the means to make like, a new system that's purposely retro, still 3D capable and everything but that sacrifices a bit of graphical horsepower for the sake of speed and responsiveness. Because it seems like the Genesis had the speed and SNES had a bit more color and graphic whiz-bang but at the cost of slower controls and even back then I wished there was a system that had the best of both worlds. I don't know how any company rationalizes this shit when a 16-bit system from, what the late 80's? had such blistering speeds.

Fuck it all, I'm starting a Genesis worship thread/cult.

edit: oh and back to the tutorials thing, my new imaginary system would have a rule like Nintendo's old arbitrary rules, and that rule would be instruction books. they must be there. they must be pretty, too, or at least complete and functional, like the games themselves. I mean come on, they really did used to help put you in the mood for the game and "sell" the idea. it was stupid to diminish and outright do away with those.

Weasyl
    oly
    I quit out of the online shit so hard, I got really pissed. All I expected was to just drop in online and just start fucking around a bit. I have no interest in doing heists, racing, or anything like that. I just wanted to play chicken with randos and stuff. /:

Literally just beat mission 31 (giant boss fight) in Phantom Pain.

Holy shit, this ending...!

I did manage to complete the mission in one take, not dying (thank god the the battle dress outfit for boosted defense and an upgraded set of weapons). I also managed to complete all three tasks (didn't think I'd destroy the head, but I pulled it off, and hitting the Floating Boy isn't especially hard, thought I would miss my chance but I used an SMG to nail him and then hammered the stunned boss with rockets). And thank god he didn't shoot down my chopper.

I took some great screen captures during the ending cutscenes, and when all was said and done, I had earned an A ranking. I would have gotten S except that I didn't skip the cinematics and those take up a good chunk of time.

With Part I of the game now concluded, I can move forward with much-desired side ops and earn dearly-wanted upgrades, and can play Event FOBs and thereby not risk player retaliation. With said upgrades, I can also get objectives in other missions done much easier.

Damn, the post-mission rewards are surprising! You get the Cobra Unit members' names as emblem parts! Sweet! (I should really download the extra costumes from PSN, now that I mention it).

Right now I'm did the Legendary Ibis and then Jackal missions to get the Hand of Jehuty and Wormhole Fulton upgrades. I also need to garner funds and resources for my FOB.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I quit out of the online shit so hard, I got really pissed. All I expected was to just drop in online and just start fucking around a bit. I have no interest in doing heists, racing, or anything like that. I just wanted to play chicken with randos and stuff. /:
    You might like this rant I wrote yesterday. Sounds like you hate pretty much everything about games nowadays I do, which is pretty much everything about games nowadays. Aside from maybe they have good ideas but they invariably ruin those with bullshit of one kind or another. I'm just not posting it here because people are being stalkerish cunts using anything I post with any meat to it as a way to try to get at me but it's on my FA account at least, same name.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I still play cs1.6 hahaha

Over the past year I've been on a huge space/flight simulator fling for a while. I purchased a HOTAS with rudder pedals and a TrackIR for Elite: Dangerous and it didn't take me long to get into X-Plane and other flight sims. I just really like the idea of piloting things. The tactile feedback and the skill of successfully controlling something with all four limbs is really enjoyable.

I've also been playing a lot of Rocksmith. Perhaps I got tired using a mouse and keyboard to play games, maybe I'm more drawn to learning skills that carry over into real life, or it might just be wish fulfillment.

One game I forgot to give another look since getting a better TV is Siren Blood Curse. I still think it's a fair bit darker than necessary and wish the different lighting level options did more, but it definitely looks better on this TV and everything good about the visuals comes through much clearer. It's a nice looking game, with its J-Horror and Silent Hill influence being apparent without looking like it borrowed too heavily from any one source. Probably because the biggest influence is actually Japan itself and not Japanese takes on Western media and locations.

The gameplay is love it or hate it and frankly most hate it. But I find it a lot less painful to play than many other, newer games just because the controls are simple and responsive and the rules and mechanics few and easy enough to grasp. I don't mind the sneaking, peeking, waiting, crouch-walking, hiding in closets and sight-jacking because most horror games don't give you the option to do any of that and if you want you can still fight most enemies. I just wish there were more to some of these levels. The first few especially are way too short, considering that there's actually a pretty deep story underlying all the confusing action and dialogue and they could have expanded on that in those episodes and still had their obligatory tutorial levels. Plus they're some of the best levels atmospherically because you're getting introduced to these characters when they know nothing, most of them, and they're just as lost in these dilapidated Japanese villages and mines as the player if they're new to it.

It does make me wish for something like it but better but the original Siren had the opposite problem of being a far too convoluted game with atrocious controls, and its direct sequel was never released stateside. So it's one of the only games of its kind. I don't want to spoil the story if you never played it, but if you like shit to do with obscure cults, especially Japanese cults centered around syncretisms of Christianity, Shinto and deities of alien origin, it has a really interesting take on that kind of cult (similar to Silent Hill but, again, more Japanese). Technically it also counts as a story about time travel, though no actual time travel happens in the game proper and most of the story happens within one stable time loop.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sony give this series yet another go (one of their few in-house PS2 and PS3 exclusives, though sadly they never marketed it as such and barely marketed it at all) because if Konami is done with the console market like I hear then that means we can probably kiss any good future Silent Hills goodbye and with the exception of maybe The Last Of Us getting a sequel (don't laugh, that game has a lot more Silent Hill in it than you might think at first glance and on your first run) that would make Siren the next best thing.

Weasyl
    cathoracat
    Well, I recently jumped on the bandwagon and played Undertale, and it was actually really good! I'm not usually one for those JRPG type games, I get kind of bored just being like....hit...use item...win...you get the drill. I mean, I've played games like Earthbound of course, but it was mostly just trudging through the game play to finish the story, ya know? Anyway, the dodging mechanic they used in Undertale kept it interesting for me, I really liked it! And the characters were great, I originally bought the game with the intention of getting every ending, but now I don't think I could bring myself to do anything but Pacifist.

Let's see...I've been playing The Evil Within, which is...kind of disappointing to be honest. I mean, I don't hate it, but it just isn't as interesting as I was hoping it would be. I also got the Mad Max game recently, I haven't had time to play much, but it's pretty cool. Sort of feels like one of the Batman Arkham Games with less stealth and more driving...so whatever that means to you. I like the exploration aspect of it, it certainly has a lot more than Dragon Age: Inquisition did...not that that's saying much lmao

Super Mario Maker. Craziest Mario game I've played thus far!

Weasyl
    N/A
    I've started playing The Ooze lately. When I was younger I sorta glossed over it.

Someone challenged me to be beat a Crash Bandicoot game so I can be considered a true gamer. If I can't do it, I'll kill myself.
    You're defined by the things that you go through.