Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
    I've been playing a lot of Elite: Dangerous and loving it.

When you start out in your Sidey I think the only option is to take missions. Once you get an Eagle you can start bounty hunting small fry. I'm not sure what the best early game route is now because the beta was a lot different back then (for example more missions require a certain friendliness rating with the system in order to obtain them). I help my friends skip the early game BS by jettisoning cargo for them to scoop and sell. Once they get into a Cobra the game opens up a lot. Bounty hunting becomes a good option. Mining is an option. Exploration. Piracy. Trading to an extent. You get the idea. But they may have balanced the early early game a bit. The factions are nice for the bonuses, but I've found I can make more money per hour by not trying to farm merits and just do bounty hunting instead. Also getting interdicted by enemy factions sometimes annoying. But i just look at them with my Vulture and they explode, soooo, yeah.

Keep in mind that Elite: Dangerous is primarily a simulator, and the fun of the game is only had by you doing crazy stuff, by making your own fun. Some of the missions have mini arcs, but the joy is really had in you doing doing ballzy stuff like finding illegal cargo in deep space and trying to smuggle it into a starport without getting caught. Or trying to take on a wanted Anaconda, finding out you can't, getting your canopy shattered with glass flying out into deep space as the cabin depressurizes, giving you only 5 minutes to find a starport and repair before seconds before you run out of air.

It's true the game lacks convenience in the form of anything besides owning the next nicest ship. There are some community goals, a teenie tiny bit of story going on GalNet, but you have to make your own adventure. Go fly to the Orion Nebula. Help a friend who's run out of fuel. Watch your cockpit freeze over as you try the Isinona Maneuver for the first time, and nearly pancake into the station walls. For me it's more about wish fulfillment. The game plays so freaking well. I have a TrackIR and a HOTAS with rudder pedals, so yeah, total wish fulfillment nerdfest. I've always wanted to fly, but got scared out of it because of the number of people I know who've died in general aviation. So I rely on sims to get my yah yahs out.

Again, you have to make your own fun with the game. Some of the best gaming moments as of late have been in ED, but it wasn't because of some single player campaign. It was because I tried to do something crazy, and either barely got out alive, or actually pulled it off and made a lot of CR in the process.

Also can't wait for Horizons. The promise of planetary landings is 60% of why I invested in that game.

Weasyl
    oly
    I dunno why people assume I didn't know that it was a sandbox game with no story... That's exactly what was appealing about it.

I'm also not exactly 100% a noob. I've claimed ten or twenty small bounties, made a couple hundred thousand from exploring, gotten killed trying to fight some big-ass expensive bounty, replaced my sidewinder with a bigger ship(eagle i think...? I can't remember now)... it's not like I jumped in game for twenty minutes and got bored because there was no hand holding...

Ah, I was basing it on your second to last post when you mentioned ED and being bored. I'm sure everyone spews the usual ED rhetoric like just did.

The Power Play portion of the game with all of the merit vouchers, preparation, expansion, fortification, weekly ranks, etc., kind of makes sense after it's been explained but with the in-game information it's not that obvious. After doing some experiments I'm not sure if it's entirely worth joining a power except for the variety. It gives you more stuff to do, more ways to make money, but I have a better CR/hr by just bounty hunting Hazardous Resource Extraction sites. Even without the 50% bounty boost by having Rating 4 with Lavigny-Duval, the time it takes to get 1500 merits, and the 750 per week to maintain it almost not worth it. With the way I play it's a wash in my case.

Weasyl
    HappyWulf
    I used this guy to help me get started...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtajDGnqAo
    Games currently playing:
    3DS: Monster Hunter 4U - PC: Elite: Dangerous - Rust - PS4: Blodborne - SW:Battlefront

Upcoming games I will be playing:
    PC: CrowFall - Star Citizen - PS4: Dark Souls 3

Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    Bought myself Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold cause I felt bad for never beating the original despite all its beautiful scenery and music. Loving it so far!

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    I'm doing a roulette run of my games to clear out my shelf and I'm currently attempting to finish up Ninjatown. This game gets insane at the end with the longer waves of starting-lvl-3-enemies (meaning they're two levels away from full power). The game also feels sort of padded. It could have ended two stages ago and I would have been fine with it. I'm not sure if anyone's beaten this game because I can't find a complete walk through for it anywhere. =(
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

Weasyl
    mrindigo
    Just started Dragon Age: Origins after being told it was the greatest thing since sliced bread by so many RPG enthusiasts. I'm finding it a bit hard to get into with the combat being ehhhhhm...less than stellar (for what it's worth, I started as a Human Mage). My first introduction to Bioware was the Sonic RPG they developed for the NDS and that was a bit of a trainwreck, so I'm giving them a second go with this game.

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    recently ive been playing final fantasy 7, 8, 9, and theather rhythm.
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    Am I just a square because I still Play World of Warcraft?
    I am fond of my Pandaren characters quite a bit.

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    I finally beat Ninjatown! For such a cutsey game, the last few stages are crueling. But I'm glad to knock out another game as opposed to getting bored or frustrated with just the numerous tasks of a game and quitting. Not sure what my next game will be. The only other one I brought on this trip was Fantasy Life on a whim and I've already beaten it.
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles