Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Well if that's the way they want to play. Hitler was anti-smoking. QED Heartland institute!

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    So basically use an evil person to say "Durrr, Global warming is fake," or something? I don't get it, I'm afraid.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24
    "“The most prominent advocates of global warming aren’t scientists,”
    Lmao. Probably because most scientists are too busy doing actual science to be talking political figureheads, of which people only pay attention to the latter.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #25

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    So basically use an evil person to say "Durrr, Global warming is fake," or something? I don't get it, I'm afraid.
    They're saying that the unibomber believes that global warming exists, basically insinuating that it is a position held by radicals and terrorists not the position that a logical person would want to take.
    It's a cartoon representation of both, implying that the unibomber is only capable of evil and to agree on anything with him means you agree with everything he thinks.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Second-hand smoke is annoying as fuck. That's all I really think of it. Arguments I've heard for my point is "just ignore it". Very nice.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #27
    Weasyl
    MLR

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Lmao. Probably because most scientists are too busy doing actual science to be talking political figureheads, of which people only pay attention to the latter.
    Dr. Theodore Kaczynski was a professor of Mathematics at Berkeley, and he's an environmentalist and political activist advocating individualism and green anarchism.

Heartland seems to be obsessed with discrediting global warming through using a person who, for all intents and purposes, is very well read and knows what he was talking about.

I have had correspondence in the past with him, from the prison he's in. He isn't a joke, and he isn't a killer. He was just a crazy man with seemingly crazy ideas, but he's actually got a heart of gold, you could say, and became the unabomber for a reason.

Now he's just an old man who is saddened that he's in prison, but he's still very happy that hundreds of people with a love for nature, simple living, and literature are out there, and wanting to discuss things with him.

I got a letter from him and from Ron Paul when I became an Eagle Scout in early 2011. It's at my parents' house, and I cherish those two letters.

Who does the Heartland Institute turn into heroes?
    Some Norman Rockwell image of American, Patriotic men? Never existed.
    Politicians with conservative values? Nonexistent. Instead, there are megalomaniacs and salesmen who found a niche market to cater to, and are reaping in the gold and asspats.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrijos_sama View Post
    Dr. Theodore Kaczynski was a professor of Mathematics at Berkeley, and he's an environmentalist and political activist advocating individualism and green anarchism.

Heartland seems to be obsessed with discrediting global warming through using a person who, for all intents and purposes, is very well read and knows what he was talking about.

I have had correspondence in the past with him, from the prison he's in. He isn't a joke, and he isn't a killer. He was just a crazy man with seemingly crazy ideas, but he's actually got a heart of gold, you could say, and became the unabomber for a reason.
    I'm aware of his educated past. Still, it doesn't matter if he was the smartest man of science in history, the picture they used on the billboard only shows him in the way they wanted him to be shown to those who don't bother to do their own research, a decrepit killer. The truth never seems to matter anyway, it's only perception that matters in this world. Heartland knows that.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    The quote isn't even very accurate in the first place. Many of the most prominent figures in the popular discourse on climatology are leading scientists. James Hansen, Michael Mann, and Gavin Schmidt are probably the most visible in the US, but these days there are a large number that frequently do outreach and engage with the media as public intellectuals. I think most of the field has long realized that if they are not themselves aggressive in representing their own research, then someone will be more than happy to misrepresent it in their place.