Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Toshabi

Second Hand Smoke Isn't A Killer?

So there was an interesting article posted on my school's board about second hand smoking and the effects that it has on other people. Of course, it was set up in a "Side A vs Side B" type scenario, where both sides had some pretty interesting points about one or the other. In fact, that's probably why I enjoy these things on my school's forums, but that's besides the point.

An interesting point that was brought up was how the statistics for second hand smoke death rates was wildly exaggerated. In fact, it was mostly an 'assumed fact' made by those against smokers in outrageous situations (i.e. literally living inside of a room filled with smoke 24 hours a day) as opposed to any real research being done on the topic. They linked an article explaining it all here http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-...moke-no-danger

I believe they summed up the whole concept as something of "Non smokers crying and pouting just because they don't like smokers". I suppose it's something comparable to people complaining about furries and bronies because they don't like it. In a sense, furries and bronies can be harmful to your health.... any who, moving on.

Do I believe this? I won't really say. I've seen enough people over-exaggerate how bad second hand smoke is and those bring up legitimate concern. Though, I do take humor in those that purposely cough obnoxiously loud to steer a smoker away, but out of backlash, causing the smoker to puff a deadly fume in their general vicinity.

Getting back on point, what are your thoughts on second hand smoke? Do you really believe it's as bad as people say it is? Personally, growing up around areas where people smoke, I'm not bothered too much by it. Perhaps I'm used to it? Granted, I do find it somewhat irritating, but hey, that's there own thing. Their health is their own issue and I've not gotten anything harmful out of it. Or so I believe anyways.

Have another link here to balance out the issue with a "Against Second-hand Smoke" stance: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...condhand-smoke

Discuss.

Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Furries and bronies are in no way a hazard to one's health. ...People who bully them, on the other hand...

But on topic, most big numbers people use to support their claims on stuff are mere statistics. People use it to support evil causes, AND good causes. They are designed purely to persuade people. HOWEVER, there is often some truth behind statistics. While they are almost always fake, that's not to say that the claim of what is supposedly done is fake. Second Hand Smoke may not be as hazardous as the statistics say, but it doesn't mean it is 100% safe.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    I'd play the Heartland Institute drinking game on this one, but I'm afraid it would kill me.

Here's a hint: they cite one actual study, one which has become infamous for its authors' tobacco affiliations alongside methodological deficiencies. There's not even the pretension of intellectual honesty.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    I'd play the Heartland Institute drinking game on this one, but I'm afraid it would kill me.

Here's a hint: they cite one actual study, one which has become infamous for its authors' tobacco affiliations alongside methodological deficiencies. There's not even the pretension of intellectual honesty.
    I was going to say, I saw heartland.org in the link and immediately turned my brain off. I don't know the actual statistics behind second-hand smoke related death and disease, but I do know that a conservative thinktank that worked with Philip Morris in the 90's to promote misinformation about the dangers of smoking (first-hand, back then) is not exactly a trustworthy source of information on this particular issue. Find us a link from a reputable source and there may be a discussion here, but that one ain't gonna' cut it, I'm afraid.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Well there's a fairly reasonable way to look at this. If it's hard to come to a consensus (it would seem) to the point we can all agree, the courteous and dignified thing to do would be to err on the side of caution and not expose others to it. To do otherwise is a plethora of negative qualities one could draw from a hat.

Or if you wanted to put it simply:

No one wants to be around someone who doesn't wash, someone who reeks of beer, someone who reeks of marijuana, and so on. It isn't a massive logical undertaking to reach the obvious conclusion.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Man seeing all these conversations about smoking makes it really hard to stop smoking.

I wonder--Has any cause of death EVER been written down as "Complications from Second Hand Smoke"?

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    We can agree that secondhand smoke, in terms of danger, is somewhere between McDonalds, and Bug spray/Lead Paint

Now, we only have to wait for the Mickey D's Lobby and Bug Spray/Lead Paint cartel with some shady triad characters to come along and attempt to separate their healthy products from second-hand smoke and misinformation, with a strong legal team and guys leaving threatening notes scratched into your car window, to establish TRUTH WITH A CITATION that some dipshit can use later on to say that second-hand smoke is indeed, the most dangerous thing that everyone and their mother should focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteCaliente View Post
    Man seeing all these conversations about smoking makes it really hard to stop smoking.

I wonder--Has any cause of death EVER been written down as "Complications from Second Hand Smoke"?
    I'm not sure. I would imagine the cause of death is generally written down as something like "heart disease", "lung cancer", "asthma attacK", "emphysema" or any one of the many things associated with both first and second hand smoke. People will generally know where and how the decedent developed the condition that took their life, but I don't know whether that makes it on the report.

In any event, second hand smoke has potential to be worse than first hand smoke - the actual first hand smoker will at least have a filter on their cigarette most of the time. Second hand smoke doesn't get run through a filter. Depending on how close the smoker is to the second party, or how enclosed the space they are occupying is, the second hand smoker can get a worse deal than the first hand smoker. Moreover, cigarettes absolutely reek, so it's a matter of politeness to not inflict that on other people who are not smokers.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Others have already exposed the Heartland Institute as a bullshit mill quite well, so instead I'll just point out that for those with chronic respiratory disorders, secondhand smoke can pose an immediate health risk as well. Personally, it's a trigger for my asthma, and a smoke-filled room is almost as much of a barrier to me as a lack of access ramps is to the wheelchair-bound.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Always subtle, Toshabi. Anyway at best, smoking and its byproducts aren't going to do anyone's health any favors. Smokers can do whatever they want in their own privacy or in appropriate places, but when your choice directly affects everyone around you whether it kills them or not, of course people aren't going to like it. It's physically irritating, which should speak volumes in and of itself.