Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horror Movies

Weasyl
    battybegins

Horror Movies

It's such a weird thing, I used to hate horror movies and avoided them at all costs, but these days it's one of my major interests. Strangely, horror movies actually help me a lot when my depression strikes because the dullness of feeling and lethargy makes everything seem so boring. When I watch a horror movie I can actually feel something besides emptiness and boredom in reaction to what I'm seeing, which is an incredible comfort even if the feeling is terror or disgust.

What are some of your favorite horror movies or ones that recently scared you? (Make sure to block out major spoilers!)

One I'm personally fond of is The Omen (1976), dosen't really scare the shit out of me anymore since it's old but it's got a great creepy tone/music/imagery which always leaves me with an unsettled feeling to this day. I especially love the scene where they dig up the grave and there's a jackal skeleton in there. I keep coming back to that movie.

I've also found that a lot of Spanish horror movies/thrillers are really awesomely good like El Orfanato, Devil's Backbone (Anything involving Guillermo, basically) Julia's Eyes and Sleep Tight.

I've seen a lot more than I love but I won't list them all, lol.
    "People tell me it's a sin to know and feel too much within. I still believe she was my twin but I lost the ring".

Weasyl
    N/A
    The Thing, 1982 version, is the best horror film and one of the best films period. Anyone who hasn't seen it should do it right now.

Also I just saw In the Mouth of Madness, was very spooky.

Pretty much anything by John Carpenter is awesome, is what I'm saying, I guess.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Equestria girls. It just scared me.

Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerig View Post
    The Thing, 1982 version, is the best horror film and one of the best films period. Anyone who hasn't seen it should do it right now.
    This.

The problem I have with many modern horror movies is that they fail to create any sort of suspense or atmosphere. The Thing does everything right in that regard.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Horror is my favorite genre of anything.

Some favorite movies are Jacob's Ladder, The Shining, Suspiria, The Descent. The Descent is really good and I think it flew under a lot of radars. I highly recommend it.

Did anyone see V/H/S? That has to be the scariest movie I've seen in a while. My friend and I watched it on a whim thinking it would be stupid, but we were both preeetty shaken up when it was over. Good movie.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Stephen King's Silver Bullet.

One of my absolute favorite films ever, and probably my favorite werewolf film (narrowly edging out the 2012 Wolfman remake). Damn near everything in the film is magnificent, and I can't ever describe how disappointed I am that King will never write a full-on novel version of Cycle of the Werewolf, the novella upon which Silver Bullet is based.

I've made watching SB a Halloween tradition (and cram in some others around the date if possible). It gets me every time, and I love it.

Weasyl
    battybegins
    I haven't seen The Thing, Jacob's Ladder or The Descent so I'll need to add those to my list owo

As for V/H/S I loved it. The skit with the girl at the club is one of my all time favorite short horror segments. It was terrifying. The sequel was pretty lackluster in comparison though.

Speaking of found footage, I saw Afflicted recently and it was pretty damn good, for as bad of a rap as found footage gets (for understandable reasons).
    "People tell me it's a sin to know and feel too much within. I still believe she was my twin but I lost the ring".

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    If you like surrealist shit, watch Santa Sangre by Alejandro Jodorowsky, just because I like psychadelic shit.

Or some shitty films, like Lucha Films, or older Mexican horror films.

The Thing is a good film, as is John Carpenter's remake of the Blob, if you're going for monster horror.

Jacob's Ladder is good, as is the original version of the Wicker Man.

Weasyl
    chaos_1152
    mine are martyrs,hellraiser 1-3,the grudge (Japanese versions) and Jacob's Ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    Equestria girls. It just scared me.
    *Shudders* The man speaks the truth...

In all seriousness, I like all sorts of horror movies. Huge fan of the nightmare on elm series, I liked the first two Child's Play Movies, Anything by John Carpenter, you name it!