Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Cover Song?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Weasyl
    RedSavage

Favorite Cover Song?

It can be somewhat maybe agreed that some songs might be just fine the way they are. But show off any covers you might actually consider better (or more interesting) than the original one. Or just what you might consider a good cover.

For me, I always like it when the original song is given a sort of different angle or spin, that sort of gives it, you know. A completely different feel and connotation despite the words being the same.

So, my favorite is Queens of the Stone Age's cover of Tom Wait's Goin' Out West.

For one, Tom Wait's is the kind of legend that would make you ask Why bother? It's a whiskey dipped, 8 hour smoked gravel-on-the-hood sound and feel that could only fit Tom Waits himself. But, QOTSA does this sort of sunblasted, radio up, 85 mile an hour down a desert Cali-highway kinda feel.

Oh, and and Josh Homme covers his own song in another band.

That is all.

Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    QotSA did a really nice job with Goin' Out West. I'm hoping to see them in July for their Like Clockwork tour.

Pretty obvious one, but I love this cover nonetheless. Very unique take, very powerful.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Florence and the Machine - You've Got the Love. (Originally by Candi Staton.)

Her voice fits this song so well I was genuinely surprised to learn it was a cover. I love everything about it, even though religious themes in music tend to turn me off.

Also, Running Up That Hill by Placebo. (Originally by Kate Bush.)

I know a lot of people who dislike Brian Molko's voice, and as much as I love Placebo, I definitely see how his voice would be a turn-off for a lot of folks. But I just love what they do with this song.

(Also Feeling Good by Muse, from The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd, but that is kind of one of those 'everyone and their mothers covers this song' songs.)
    Last edited by Ruggy; 05-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint

One of my favourites, anyways.

I'd guess my fave cover is Stargazer played by Dream Theater, though I don't even know that many cover songs so that's not that big of a feat.

Honorable mention to Steam Powered Giraffe for their version of Diamonds. While the original isn't not quite my cup of tea, I do prefer this version.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Honorable mention to Steam Powered Giraffe for their version of Diamonds. While the original isn't not quite my cup of tea, I do prefer this version.
    I really, really love that one. Their band has kind of a weird schtick, but damned if they don't make some good songs.

ALSO aaa I just remembered about this. Dream Academy's cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. Y'know, that song from Ferris Bueller. I love the original, but somehow, this instrumental cover of it offers something totally different and wonderful.

Last edited by Ruggy; 05-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    N/A
    OH MY GOD

I don't know what to post first! D:

Uh....uh...UH! Do instrumentals count? Or uh remixes that have different songs in them? Because that would greatly affect what I post.

Well, this is one that would fit in as a simple cover song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpfK-4gS08 I didn't know that was a cover tbh. I was surprised.

ALSO LETS GET SOME GRAND FUNK RAILROAD IN HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyU4W8iyeI
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Ranguvar
    Not sure if this counts, but this is one of the best versions of "Allons Danser Colinda" I've ever heard.

Weasyl
    N/A

Best. A shame they didn't do the whole song, though. But the one after it is pretty good too.

Better than the original (by The Damned).

Dio was great, but KS:E did immense amounts of justice to this tune.
    Last edited by Tycho; 05-24-2014 at 05:33 AM.